The Skinny on PlayStation 3 Slim

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We can understand why cell phones are so anorexic. Mobile technology should slip into your pocket. But now Sony has put its PS3 game console through a rigorous weight-loss program and it can’t be healthy. Gone is the George Forman Grill look in favor of a PS3 that is so slim it looks like the DVD player someone got trampled for at Wal-Mart. Setting up Sony’s new skinny model will be like going on a date with Lindsey Lohan; it can’t stand up vertically on its own without falling over. Let’s examine the effects of PS3’s recent weight-loss.

Discuss "The Skinny on PlayStation 3 Slim" here. Read the article.

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
Nice to hear it consumes less power. Hope cramming everything into the smaller form doesn't lead to overheating. Wonder if it's quieter than the latest PS3's?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I hear it's suppossed to be quieter, but who knows about less heat... if they are using a smaller less powerful processor and gpu, then it should generate less heat, therefore less fan noise required. My only question is can it bitstream lossless audio instead of converting to PCM.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have plenty of room for the current one where it is and 250G so I don't really have a reason to upgrade. I am not really crazy about the new textured finish.

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
Some people are griping about the matte finish. I'm guessing they went that route because for one it's cheaper, and two it'll attract less dust or at least make dust less noticeable. My PS3 sure is a dust magnet when it's lying flat (in an open space).

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
My only question is can it bitstream lossless audio instead of converting to PCM.
How many recievers can decode HD formots, but can't process PCM? Bitstreaming is an unnecessary feature. A worthy omission to lower expenses.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have plenty of room for the current one where it is and 250G so I don't really have a reason to upgrade. I am not really crazy about the new textured finish.
I prefer the matte finish. The high gloss finish is easily tarnished and also attracts more dust than the matte finish because of static build up, meaning it has to be cleaned more often and will more than likely tarnish the surface of the high gloss unless a very fine clean cloth is used. I welcome the new finish because it's technically better in almost every possible way.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
How many recievers can decode HD formots, but can't process PCM? Bitstreaming is an unnecessary feature. A worthy omission to lower expenses.
The only reason it can't bitstream is because the chipset doesn't support it, all they have to do is use a different chipset, but I'm sure they will just continue using whatever they already have. Not to mention if the PS3 was capabale of bitstreaming, then many people would buy that instead of stand alone players, which is one thing I'm sure Sony is trying to avoid.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The only reason it can't bitstream is because the chipset doesn't support it, all they have to do is use a different chipset, but I'm sure they will just continue using whatever they already have. Not to mention if the PS3 was capabale of bitstreaming, then many people would buy that instead of stand alone players, which is one thing I'm sure Sony is trying to avoid.
Why, what's the advantage of bistreaming other than the satisfying DTS-HD logo lighting up on the screen of your AVR or Preamp/processor?

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
noticeable is subjective. But I'm sure it will be improved. 450 atoms makes for a really small transistor.
Doesn't mean it's specced faster. It would be unfair to currect PS3 owners if the slim offers better performance. Then again, I'm not sure there's a way to benchmark the PS3 so Sony could probably get away with it. Any increase would have to be negligible or people would gripe about a trade-up.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
This is purely a cost play. Smaller chips = lower cost. Less heat = smaller heatsinks = lower cost. The only advantages to an end user are a smaller console and less noise.

Processing power wise, if it's different, the only way you'll notice is running SETI or something like that.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Not likely any games would take advantage of a higher performance processor.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is a smaller processor / cell, not lower or higher power. AFAIK, processing capability was through the roof and beyond what was needed for the application, so more power wasn't needed. Smaller chips don't necessarily mean lower cost. The smaller architecture is new and likely more expensive at this point, but the lower heat does allow smaller heat sinking and a smaller fan. I think it is also in the other details that they really dropped the cost: the cheaper case, the removal of the card slots, etc...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It is a smaller processor / cell, not lower or higher power. AFAIK, processing capability was through the roof and beyond what was needed for the application, so more power wasn't needed. Smaller chips don't necessarily mean lower cost. The smaller architecture is new and likely more expensive at this point, but the lower heat does allow smaller heat sinking and a smaller fan. I think it is also in the other details that they really dropped the cost: the cheaper case, the removal of the card slots, etc...
It was previously noted at the introduction of the 45nm processor that the cost was significantly lower and that Sony was expecting it to significantly lower the cost allowing them to reduce the cost to consumers. I would assume that the cost is related to both the processor as well as all other factors surrounding the new case.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With the current market and low demand, I guess that would translate into being able to get these new chips made dirt cheap. Though 45nm has been around for years, most fabs aren't geared up with the new equipment to manufacture at that size, however they do get more chips from a single wafer comparatively (been in that industry for years)

And the REAL reason why you need the new slim:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/ps3-slim-gets-much-improved-audio-627975

In addition to what we already learnt from Sony's media conference earlier in the week – which focused on the physical size of the unit, the increased 120GB hard drive capacity and other features such as the fact that the PS3 Slim supports BraviaLink – the latest tech news out of Japan indicates that the PS3 Slim will bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio direct to your receiver

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis