Samsung HT-BD3252 Home Theater System with Blu-ray

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Samsung is definitely looking for a specific customer with the HT-BD3252. With limited inputs and outputs, we're betting this package will be a great add-on to a display sale. The WiFi, Netflix and Pandora streaming, USB port, network streaming, iPod support, and auto calibration should make your first time buyer (providing they have the right display) very happy.

Discuss "Samsung HT-BD3252 Home Theater System with Blu-ray" here. Read the article.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Would be nice to have a bit more information about the setup of this product. Obviously, it's targetted towards the entry level consumer, and you guys specifically point out that a 'real' subwoofer would shame the one included.

But, is the a proprietary product with no upgrade path available or is it a traditionally designed product which allows the end user to upgrade components as their budget allows them to?

Frankly, for a bedroom or an apartment, I think this is exactly what some people may be looking for on a budget and with limited options to their setup. One DVR cable/sat box and the BD. What else does a person actually need anymore to handle 99% of their viewing? Throw in an AppleTV (or similar) for good measure and you're good to go for years and years.

B

bluebirdy

Audioholic Intern
the rear speakers are completely wireless. However, it’s not specified how they are powered but I guess they have it’s own power source (or perhaps batteries but that is less likely)

J

jbeans

Audiophyte
What About Ease of Use?

Just to represent another viewpoint, I'm shopping right now for a second system, for our den. And there's a good chance it's going to be (*gasp*) an HTIB, perhaps this Samsung unit.
We already have a system in another room (our media room) that sounds great, with a Denon receiver, Panansonic Blu-ray, DirecTV, nice speakers, and a dedicated sub and amp. It also has (of necessity) a $400 programmable remote to switch everything between Blu-ray, DirecTV, iPod, and our kids' gaming system. Despite some pretty slick custom programming, should any of the components get out of sync with the others--and it happens more often than anyone would like--it really confuses and frustrates people!
So for the den, I wanted something with Blu-ray and an iPod dock that would be one unit that would take DirecTV as an HDMI input, then deliver a single HDMI output (including audio) to our new Panasonic V10. That would *minimize* the number of components that could be "out of sync" (including just plain turned off), and allow single, simple, remote usage. It really pains me how that ONE ISSUE--component input modes and source switching control--can continue to be the single biggest bane to TV users these days. I'm probably not talking about you and me, dear reader, but rather the people who yell, "Hey, it's not working!!!!" and make us come fix it.
Okay, you'd think that a properly paired Blu-ray player and A/V receiver could be just as simple as integrated unit, except for two issues:
1. The receiver frequently refers to the Blu-ray player as something generic like "Input 1" (not a helpful description: "Hey, how do I get the DVD to play?"..."Turn it to Audio 1!"
2. Sometimes one device gets turned off (in the media room, we "wave the expensive remote" as we push the ON or OFF button to turn on/off all of the requisite devices. Which *mostly* works the first time, and sometimes just makes you look like an idiot waving the remote around while 3/4 of the devices do what they are supposed to. It's awkward to tell someone, "Yeah, that was right. Do it again, but a little more wrist English towards the DirecTV box.")
If someone wants to hulk out and give me some pointers before I fire up (gasp!) one of these HTIB units, I'm all ears.*

*With respect to my ears: yes, I can tell the difference in audio quality with respect to good quality components. We probably differ in that I no longer ignore the "Hey, it's not working!" noise as I calculate the actual signal/noise ratio, though. Do you?
:)
--John

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
John, while I can't speak for the HTiB systems which are out there, I can say that if you spent that much on a universal remote and it isn't performing well, then it helps to illustrate why I always sell Crestron control to my client's. Yeah, it's a bit expensive to program and buy, but it is 99.9% reliable - if not moreso. Sure, sometimes a command will miss due to the product being poor, but typically it's programmed so that if you hit the button again it will correct itself.

Good luck with your remote woes, and I hope you get a HTiB system which you really enjoy.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I own a Samsung blu ray and the streaming feature is the real deal- works just as advertised. This Htib looks sharp to me.
I second the remote deal. My harmony is always going off track.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
It also has (of necessity) a $400 programmable remote to switch everything
I don't think a "$400 programmable remote" is necessary for any system. Do all the original remotes work correctly?

Maybe you got the wrong master remote, or didn't set it up correctly. When my sub $200 Harmony remote doesn't work as expected, it's usually that someone has used another remote that has a function that's a toggle, rather than discrete on/off codes.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Seems it has more inputs than some DVD HTiB systems - with 2 HDMI and one optical, that should cover a sat/cable box and gaming system. It already has the BD player so what's left? Computer maybe? Appears to be fine for what it is.

jumpster72

jumpster72

Audiophyte
Just bought this.

This is a fantastic deal for HTiB. The streaming feature sets it apart from others. It not only plays Divx, but also all my VLC's. External drive (USB devices) can also be plugged in the front with a flip down easy access panel. Great sound, huge multi functionality. 2 X HDMI, 2 X componet, plenty of extra's----Lightening got my Bose LifeStyle 28/35 (3,000$ in 2002)---bang for the buck and more functionality hands down I am not missing my overpriced Bose. Very user friendly, set up your AP (accesspoint) stream--- Mp3's , View photos, watch downloaded movies, great up-convert, great sound----You will not be disappointed----I am not. If you need any help with the setup look me up.---------------Love this unit!!!!!:)

J

jahwz

Audiophyte
overall good system, just a few issues though...

So far so good with this unit. The sound isn't exceptional, but about what you would expect in a HTiB from my experience.

First issue is that the fan for the wireless rear speaker power box is VERY loud. Maybe I need to get a replacement from Samsung, but wanted to see if anyone else has the same issue? It doesn't sound like it is loose in the casing, just not a good quiet fan like most computer cases/electronics components I've had in the past.

Second, the Netflix and Pandora work great! Already have Netflix through the Tivo, but it seems to work much better on this system. However, I have been unable to get PC streaming up and running. The system finds my network and the target PC, but I guess it could be an issue with Windows 7. It won't even find my other PC with Vista. The two PCs are connected and sharing fine. (All across a wired network) Anyone else using Windows 7 to stream to this unit?

Lastly, I am very disappointed that the iPhone dock doesn't work with my phone. The box and all of the literature specifically states that it will work with iPhone, but no such luck with my iPhone 3G (OS 3.01 or whatever the OS released last week was) The phone just displays a message to go into airplane mode and then nothing ever happens and it doesn't show up on the inputs.

Really don't want to return this unit, but unless these issues can be resolved, looks like I'll be trying another unit...

ddrr

Audiophyte
speaker assembly

I just received and unpacked the 3252. The tall speakers come in three pieces: base; middle; and speaker. Nother seems to hold them together and I am afraid they will fall apart if my cat touches them. I called Samsung's helpline without success. What did you folks to to put them together?

X

Xochi

Audiophyte
ddrr: Mine came with several screws to hold the speakers together. IIRC, each speaker had one large silver screw to hold the two tower halves together, and six smaller black screws to secure the base.

U

uffllaa

Audiophyte
like it but...

newbie to surround and blue ray, so im pretty pleased with the picture and sound from this unit - and its simplicity actually works to my favor as Im not too good with complex installs....
however, 2 issues - Im getting occassional static/flickers when I play DVD's - I switched the receiver already, so I know it's not that. The unit is wired only with an HDMI to my HDTV, but Im not sure how to get rid of the occassional flickers that Im getting - anyone have any ideas.

second issue is that I can't get rear sound when I plug and play my IPOD through the unit - Any ideas on that one?

If I can resolve those issues, then I'll be very happy with the unit - at least until something better comes out next year...

Thx

G

gobigblu

Audiophyte
I just bought this unit (my first 5.1 system) and I'm having some installation/performance issues. I would love to discuss this with you to try to get a handle on whether or not I have a hookup issue, the wrong expectations, or a faulty unit. I don't know if/when you will get this message, but I'd love to give you a call to discuss. I'm in Washington DC.

C

carrilar

Audiophyte
need help!

This is a fantastic deal for HTiB. The streaming feature sets it apart from others. It not only plays Divx, but also all my VLC's. External drive (USB devices) can also be plugged in the front with a flip down easy access panel. Great sound, huge multi functionality. 2 X HDMI, 2 X componet, plenty of extra's----Lightening got my Bose LifeStyle 28/35 (3,000$ in 2002)---bang for the buck and more functionality hands down I am not missing my overpriced Bose. Very user friendly, set up your AP (accesspoint) stream--- Mp3's , View photos, watch downloaded movies, great up-convert, great sound----You will not be disappointed----I am not. If you need any help with the setup look me up.---------------Love this unit!!!!!:)
I have this unit for 3 years and I haven't been able to set up the streamline feature (to watch, pandora, netflix, you tube etc)....any help with the ACCES POINT?

Thank you

J

Jaynsooz

Audiophyte
HDMI port not working

Recently our HD-BD3252 HDMI ports stopped working, we have tried all other configurations making sure our cable and othe devices we working. No we have a unit that we can play dvd's and music through but can't get our cable through it so missing out on the surround sound. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it an easy repair? Is it possible to get a different unit and use the same speakers?

Although we had some teething issues when we first purchased this we have found it suitable for our needs, especially the "wireless" rear speakers!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis