Listening Room Acoustics: Room Modes & Standing Waves Part I

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Room modes cause standing waves that can cause three acoustical problems: a level boost at some frequencies, an extent of the duration of sound at those same frequencies (resonance) and some profound dips at other frequencies. This article explores methods of reducing the problems of standing waves in your home theater room and also works real world examples for greater clarity. Don’t settle for acoustical compromises. Learn the facts, and arm yourself with the right tools to enhance your movie watching and music listening experiences.

Discuss "Listening Room Acoustics: Room Modes & Standing Waves Part I" here. Read the article.

jonsmirl

jonsmirl

Audiophyte
Open Office

The macros don't work right in Open Office. It should possible to fix them with some tweaking.

www openoffice dot org

W

westcott

Audioholic General
This is a great article and I hope you are allowed to continue the series. All it takes is a little planning to avoid many of the issues you have addressed. Unfortunately, I see room acoustics as the LAST consideration when setting up a a listening room or home theater by many of the rooms I have seen.

I hope your article is taken to heart by my fellow Audioholics because it really does make a huge difference in sound quality with just a little planning.

ma7rix13

ma7rix13

Junior Audioholic
Very good article so far

Cannot find the Hometheatershack calculator.

A

audiomuze

Audiophyte
Sorry to revive an old thread, but was there ever a Part 2?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to revive an old thread, but was there ever a Part 2?
Welcome to the forum!

I can't find one on Audioholics. That looks to be a guest article by Michel Leduc of Sonar Acoustics. I looked around their website a bit but couldn't find any articles. You may want to e-mail them at the address listed in the article and/or check out the website to see if you have better luck than I did.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis