LG Launches Netflix Enabled HDTV

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Look ma, no boxes! You won’t you need a set-top-box or computer to stream web-enabled movies to your Home Theater system anymore. The shelf-space and connection conscious mages over at LG have seen to it that you don’t need a box to get streaming content like Netflix into your living room. LG has just introduced two Ethernet-HDTVs with more on the way this summer.

Discuss "LG Launches Netflix Enabled HDTV" here. Read the article.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
This is a cool feature. My Samsung BD2550 blu ray player streams NetFlix as well as Pandora and I wouldn't trade those features for anything. For a non audioholic, this TV would be a great way to go.........it doesn't say if it would stream Pandora radio......which is an excellent feature as well.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
For a non audioholic,......
I think you've cited the weakness in using the display as a media streamer/playback system. Sure, I love the idea of saving on boxes and wiring extra 'specialized' devices.

In a modern A/V system I don't know that it's necessary when you have a receiver.

I'm all for box/wiring savings but if you're getting 5.1 audio with Netflix you have a need to go from a TV out (audio or HDMI) to your receiver anyway.

I think it makes more sense to have A/V receivers with Ethernet ports and automatic subscriptions to Netflix. Then I think I'd question the quality of the amplifier.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Wayde, you don't think you can get 5.1 DD from the optical out of the display? I would hope it would be the same as pretty much every other display does for OTA/QAM. It's not difficult at all, and works pretty well.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Wayde, you don't think you can get 5.1 DD from the optical out of the display? I would hope it would be the same as pretty much every other display does for OTA/QAM. It's not difficult at all, and works pretty well.
I absolutely believe you can. But then you'd have to pipe that cable into your receiver. My only observation is that if it's something that already has audio connected to your receiver anyway (Like BD player) - or the receiver itself - you save some wiring. Otherwise I don't see the advantage of having an display that is providing you any audible content in the 5.1 realm.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I can appreciate the convenience of fewer cables, etc. But quite honestly I prefer costs and engineering going into the primary functions of the component.
I notice they keep adding more features now to receivers like wireless functionality, XM, Sirus, HD radio, etc.
Seems to take away from the last generation of great receivers that were starting to rival 'separates'.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
You guys are thinking like people w/ dedicated listening rooms. I already have box fatigue under my living room display. People interested in this (Let's cut the crap) won't have a A/V receiver. If they have anything other than TV speakers, it will be a soundbar (or maybe a Bose setup!).

BTW, Vizio introduced one of these today, too.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/167254/vizio_announces_new_content_providers_for_internet_hdtvs.html
I don't have 'box fatigue' at all. A multi-media player Oppo 83 solves a lot of problems. But a lot of ethernet stuff like BD Live sucks IMO.
My Roku box is only 4x4" hardly overkill and gives me all the movie streaming I need.
Sounds bars are great for the BR, or very small apts.
For the rest of us with homes where we can hang more on the wall than pictures, where we do our 'A/V' IS our dedicated listening room.
Nothing wrong with a lot of integration if that's what you are into. A TV with a DVD player built-in means you lose both if either one fails and you have to get it fixed.
Different strokes!

S

Substance-P

Audioholic
I just ordered one of these (Lg 50PS80) this AM. I was going to get the LG PS60; however, I got a good deal on the PS80 and I figured it was worth a shot.

I'll be sure to post my experience once it comes.

S

Substance-P

Audioholic
Tv arrived and is installed in the home theater. I am still finalizing hooking up the receiver and blu-ray hd dvd player.

So far I have used it to watch UVerse and to use the netflix streaming device (streaming Braveheart right now as I finish the other setup).

Tv looks great and has a really nice picture. Will post more once I have it fully integreated in the system

S

Substance-P

Audioholic
I thought I would give an update. I used the Netflix option through the TV a total of 3-4 times. When it was running of a gaming adapter and picking up a wireless signal it was initially strong enoug to stream movies at a decent speed; however, audio is only in two channel.

After switching internet providers and going back to a standard N Router as opposed to the AT&T router, the signal strentgh dropped enough that the picture quality of the streaming movies was not worth watching. I have an HTPC that I finally got setup next to the TV, so I am just streaming off of that on the LG and the picture looks great and I am able to get 5.1

Having said that, I really like the TV picture a lot. In retrospect, I would have gotten the LG 50PS60 instead of the PS80 as the built in streaming was the only real difference and not worth it considering the additional cost, the two channel only audio support, and the inability on my part to get a strong enough wireless signal to the TV compared to what I was able to get to my HTPC.

A

alterseekers

Audiophyte
This is really a great news considering most homes today already have internet-readyHDTVs in them. But what if you want to enjoy streaming from Netflix but your devices and wireless router are in separate rooms in the house? Don't worry, you can still enjoy this with the help of Netgear's Universal WiFi Internet Adapter. This WiFi adapter is compatible with most internet-ready devices such as TVs, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, and more. You can also use it to connect notebooks, wireless printers, and other networked home theater devices. For more information about the Netgear Universal WiFi Internet Adapter, visit bit.ly/bByST7 and discover this wonderful device from Netgear. Enjoy!.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I thought I would give an update. I used the Netflix option through the TV a total of 3-4 times. When it was running of a gaming adapter and picking up a wireless signal it was initially strong enoug to stream movies at a decent speed; however, audio is only in two channel.

After switching internet providers and going back to a standard N Router as opposed to the AT&T router, the signal strentgh dropped enough that the picture quality of the streaming movies was not worth watching. I have an HTPC that I finally got setup next to the TV, so I am just streaming off of that on the LG and the picture looks great and I am able to get 5.1

Having said that, I really like the TV picture a lot. In retrospect, I would have gotten the LG 50PS60 instead of the PS80 as the built in streaming was the only real difference and not worth it considering the additional cost, the two channel only audio support, and the inability on my part to get a strong enough wireless signal to the TV compared to what I was able to get to my HTPC.
So far ( I though) Netflix was only sending 1080i and 5.1 to the PS3. From what I have been looking at so far none of the Blu-ray players receive the 1080i and 5.1 signal yet from Netflix. I have Verizon FIOS wireless 30 down 10 up for my PC and a HD Fiber Optic converter box(it plays HD 1080i 5.1 Dolby Digital GREAT).I also have a HD Blu-ray player that goes on line and have it audio streaming to my HD A/V Receiver and none of these play 5.1 or show 1080i from Netflix. My Wii only does 720 and sterio so I was waiting on Netlix to start sending the 1080 5.1 to other devices.

Are you sure you are Really receiving 5.1 from Netflix?? I called them today and they said only a PS3 is getting 1080i 5.1????

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis