NAD M2 Direct Digital Amplifier

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The M2 is really sort of a hybrid. It is a traditional amp with non-traditional inputs. It is an integrated amp in spirit but doesn't have all the functionality that a traditional integrated would have. In addition to balanced and RCA analogue inputs the M2 has dual coax and dual optical inputs, a single optical and coaxial output, 12 volt and IR inputs, and a 12 volt output. At $6k, you would do well to consider using the internal DACs of the M2 as you certainly are paying for them.

Discuss "NAD M2 Direct Digital Amplifier" here. Read the article.

P

Phillyfan1138

Audiophyte
The amp has 3 digital coax inputs for decoded stereo uncompressed digital audio (PCM). So technically they could be right about the first true high def resolution audio.

Kitsum

Junior Audioholic
My 1989 Onkyo Grand Integra stereo integrated amp has 2 optical, 3 coaxial digital, and 7 analog inputs. Digital stereo integrated amplifiers came out first in 1986, if i recall correctly.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I always liked NAD but I think this unit goes in the wrong direction for the company.

I was always proud of packing a pair of NADs in my acoustic package for decades. I had a pre-amp/power-amp combo that toted the NAD logo. I still have the 2-channel somewhere and it's ready to be deployed if I ever need a bit more current to a couple of channels someday when I have a bigger living-space.

I love my NADs - I'd often show them off at parties. Thier striped down style brought adjectives like "spartan" or "utilitarian" to mind. To me NAD is a thick chunk of lean ground round cooked to perfection at on a grill by some unassuming grill-meister who can cook up a hell of a burger that blows away area restaurants.

I never thought of NAD a pretentious sliver of filet mignon. I hope this isn't the way the company is going.

But a $6K 2 channel digital amp - I dunno. I always thought of NAD as being the choice of higher minded (little a) audiophiles on a budget - and not people ready to drop $6K on a single component.

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
My 1989 Onkyo Grand Integra stereo integrated amp has 2 optical, 3 coaxial digital, and 7 analog inputs. Digital stereo integrated amplifiers came out first in 1986, if i recall correctly.
Are you sure it was from 1989? Which model number was it? Was it the Onkyo Integra A-8800 or was it the Onkyo Grand Integra A-G10? The A-G10 was very very expensive by the way. And it had an 18-bit opto drive. And it was able to drive 2-ohm loads, same as the A-8800. These two were the 1988 models.

I do remember some Akai Digital Stereo Integrated Amplifier, the AM-73, from 1987.
And also the AM-93.
The AM-73 (4-times oversampling converter) has a single optical input (the AM-93 has one more, with 8-times oversampling), and 3 coaxial digital ins, with a pair of digital outs as well (for DAT machines). The AM-73 was an excellent integrated amp with ability to pass peaks over 200 watts with ease. And it has a very good sound too. And it was quite heavy.
Also from 1987, there was Sony and Luxman with digital sections.
And there was a Denon Digital Preamplifier too, that garnered universal praise for it's very exceptional sound quality.

Bob

Last edited:

Kitsum

Junior Audioholic
Are you sure it was from 1989? Which model number was it? Was it the Onkyo Integra A-8800 or was it the Onkyo Grand Integra A-G10? The A-G10 was very very expensive by the way. And it had an 18-bit opto drive. And it was able to drive 2-ohm loads, same as the A-8800. These two were the 1988 models.

I do remember some Akai Digital Stereo Integrated Amplifier, the AM-73, from 1987.
And also the AM-93.
The AM-73 (4-times oversampling converter) has a single optical input (the AM-93 has one more, with 8-times oversampling), and 3 coaxial digital ins, with a pair of digital outs as well (for DAT machines). The AM-73 was an excellent integrated amp with ability to pass peaks over 200 watts with ease. And it has a very good sound too. And it was quite heavy.
Also from 1987, there was Sony and Luxman with digital sections.
And there was a Denon Digital Preamplifier too, that garnered universal praise for it's very exceptional sound quality.

Bob
It's the A-G10, are you sure the A-8800 has the Grand Integra moniker? It's not in my 1988 Onkyo GI catalog.
At that time Philips, Pioneer and AKAI had great digital integrated amplifiers, but as you said they were very expensive. The AG10 listed for $3K. Still a great amp today even with it's limited remote control. (Controls volume and polarity only).

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Souvenirs back from memory alley.

It's the A-G10, are you sure the A-8800 has the Grand Integra moniker? It's not in my 1988 Onkyo GI catalog.
At that time Philips, Pioneer and AKAI had great digital integrated amplifiers, but as you said they were very expensive. The AG10 listed for $3K. Still a great amp today even with it's limited remote control. (Controls volume and polarity only).
Only the A-G10 has the Grand Integra certification.
The A-8800 is only an Integra.
And I already made that clear in my previous post, if you had read it correctly. ;)

And you're right, the Onkyo Grand Integra Digital Integrated Amplifier was listed at $5,900 cdn! Very expensive indeed.

I mentioned the Akai AM-73 Digital Integrated Amp because at that time, it was probably the best deal for a Digital Integrated Amp, with excellent sound quality and lots of power too, 1987 model
The Sony and Luxman had mixed reception for their sonic quality from critics on their digital sections, 1986-87 models.
Also, you might remember the Fisher Professional Digital Reference Series RS-Z1 Stereo Receiver.
And the Sansui AU-X911DG Digital Integrated Amplifier/DAC.
Also the Technics SE-M100 DAC/Digital Amplifier.
These last three are from 1989.

And Pioneer was making excellent integrated amplifiers in those years, like the Pioneer Elite Reference Series, the A-91D (class A output).
And also the A-717 (class B output). Both 1988 models.
Also from Pioneer, the A-616 and the A-331 Digital Integrated Amps.

Then there was the JVC AX-Z91 BK, Digital Integrated Amp, also from 1988.
And the Kenwood KA 3300 D (optical coupling with 2 ohms drive capability).
The Luxman LV-113, LV-117 and the LV-109 (dual Dac Hybrid designs).
The Cambridge P-40 and P-55 (high current designs).
The Grundig A-9000 (cross-mode integrated amp.).
The QED A240SA II and A240CD II.
The SAE I-102.
The Technics SU-V90D Digital Integrated Amp. (with four Dacs; 18-bit dig. I/P).

The Yamaha CX-1000U Digital Preamplifier (Digital hi-bit).

* Onkyo has the Onkyo Grand Integra State of the Art Power Amplifier, the M-510 (2-ohms drive, 300 watts per channel into 8-ohms and 500 watts per channel into 4-ohms), which was retailing in 1988 for a very cool $13,000.00 cdn.

** For me, personally, 1988 is a very special year for several audio product releases.
And for a few other reasons too.

LOTR

B

BSSK

Audiophyte
NAD M2 - Amplifier of the future

I am really looking forward to this amplifier. If the price is $3995.00 as stated in Stereophile (blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/go_nad) then it is worth it.

I hope that it has more speed and resolution than a Spectral setup.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I am really looking forward to this amplifier. If the price is $3995.00 as stated in Stereophile (blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/go_nad) then it is worth it.

I hope that it has more speed and resolution than a Spectral setup.
Hi, and Welcome to the club.

The price that you quote for the NAD M2 digital amplifier seems to originate from the first previouly mentioned price (CES 2009). Seems that it went up from there (not surprising coming from NAD).

* Here from first announcement: http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/go_nad/

* And later: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10245337-47.html

Perhaps it was a misquoted price.

A

adamhawk

Audiophyte
No any doubt 10 out of 10 direct digital reviews for the excellent service. Great service by the direct digital and thanks for the every thing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis