Atlona Tech AT-HD570 HDMI (1.3) Audio De-Embedder

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The AT-HD570 HDMI Audio De-Embedder works with HDMI 1.3 and will strip the audio portion off while maintaining the video. You can output the audio either via TOSLink or analogue while sending the video to your display via the included HDMI output. The technology isn't without its limitations, however.

Discuss "Atlona Tech AT-HD570 HDMI (1.3) Audio De-Embedder" here. Read the article.

T

Trezl

Junior Audioholic
This is something I've been looking for.

I have a nice Denon that does 7.1, but it has no HDMI. This looks like I could use it for my Blu-rays and then just use the analogue inputs on the Denon to get the high definition audio formats.

To replace the denon, I see myself spending over $1000, which is something I just don't have right now (especially when I have a receiver that sounds just fine and amplifies to my needs).

What do you all think?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The AT-HD570 HDMI Audio De-Embedder works with HDMI 1.3 and will strip the audio portion off while maintaining the video. You can output the audio either via TOSLink or analogue while sending the video to your display via the included HDMI output. The technology isn't without its limitations, however.

Discuss "Atlona Tech AT-HD570 HDMI (1.3) Audio De-Embedder" here. Read the article.
Ambery sells the same product for cheaper.

http://www.ambery.com/2hddodtsdihd.html

T

Trezl

Junior Audioholic
Wow.

Do they work as advertised? Better than just using my toslink connection on the PS3?

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Wait and minute...hold up a second...

why spend $200 on this, when for $100 extra, you could just buy a Blu-ray player that already has 7.1 analogue outputs and internal TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding?

Basically, in order for buying this product to make any sense, you would already have to have bought a receiver without HDMI inputs (or HDMI inputs that do not support multi-channel PCM audio) PLUS a Blu-ray player that lacks 5.1/7.1 analogue outputs.

I'm sure there are a few people in that exact situation and I can totally understand not wanting to upgrade the receiver or pre/pro, but there are quite a few Blu-ray players with 7.1 analogue outputs now and they are not terribly expensive - typically about $400. And there isn't any source other than a Blu-ray player that would need this go-between device. Just seems weird to me is all :p

T

Trezl

Junior Audioholic
Wait and minute...hold up a second...

why spend $200 on this, when for $100 extra, you could just buy a Blu-ray player that already has 7.1 analogue outputs and internal TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding?

Basically, in order for buying this product to make any sense, you would already have to have bought a receiver without HDMI inputs (or HDMI inputs that do not support multi-channel PCM audio) PLUS a Blu-ray player that lacks 5.1/7.1 analogue outputs.

I'm sure there are a few people in that exact situation and I can totally understand not wanting to upgrade the receiver or pre/pro, but there are quite a few Blu-ray players with 7.1 analogue outputs now and they are not terribly expensive - typically about $400. And there isn't any source other than a Blu-ray player that would need this go-between device. Just seems weird to me is all :p
Excellent point, if one doesn't already own a blu-ray player. Except millions of us own the PS3. :)

I plan on eventually upgrading my receiver, I just don't want to spend the $1000+ now, when I could spend $130 (as lsiberian pointed out).

B

Bryant Trew

Audiophyte
Does this product transfer uncompressed hi-rez over toslink or not? I don't want to transfer over analog inputs - I want my processor to decode the signal.

T

Trezl

Junior Audioholic
toslink as an interface is unable to support the bandwidth for full HD audio (True Dolby HD, DTS-HD), so no. It will pass it as 2ch PCM or as 5.1 dolby digital/dts (non-HD formats).

R

rokoko

Audiophyte
It is still confusing.
I want to rephrase Bryant Trew question:

Does this device transfer uncompressed, not down sampled and down graded stereo PCM 24/96 kHz and 192 kHz, to the Toslink output?

Or this device is down sampling and downgrading stereo PCM to 16/48 kHz due to Digital Content Protection (HDCP) implementation or CSS (Content Scrambling System) compliancy and it is no way to output 24/96kHz and 192 kHz at its full resolution through Toslink????

Is any one has even tested this device for the PCM stereo 24/96 kHz output through Toslink ?

A

ancient hippy

Audiophyte
HDMI audio de-embedder

somebody that has 3000 invested in a audiophile processor without hdmi would be very interested in this device. there is more to sound quality than the 192/24 converters. also regarding sampling it is my understanding dts high resolution only supports 192 sampling to the fronts during multi channel playback (96 to all other channels) and that dolby hi res only gives 192 during 2 channel playback (96 all channels in multi channel) toslink is providing 48 most of the time. in short high resolution audio is an improvement but its not that big a deal.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
somebody that has 3000 invested in a audiophile processor without hdmi would be very interested in this device. there is more to sound quality than the 192/24 converters. also regarding sampling it is my understanding dts high resolution only supports 192 sampling to the fronts during multi channel playback (96 to all other channels) and that dolby hi res only gives 192 during 2 channel playback (96 all channels in multi channel) toslink is providing 48 most of the time. in short high resolution audio is an improvement but its not that big a deal.
I think someone who spends 3000 on a processor would think that the lossless DTS and Dolby are a big deal. They obviously care enough about sound quality to warrant spending that much money on a single piece of hardware.

M

morkys

Junior Audioholic
Looks like a nice way to use a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player with a receiver without full HDMI.

What do you do about speaker size and distance parameters for surround when connecting to a multi-channel analog input of a receiver?

M

morkys

Junior Audioholic
Trouble is, you have no way of controlling speaker size and distance. I have a receiver that allows level adjustments for each speaker, but nothing else. If the PS3 had size and distance adjustments, that would be helpful.

M

morkys

Junior Audioholic
If I can find this cheap enough, I may give it a try with my PS3. It may allow me to obtain 7.1 audio to send to my RCVR and 3D video signal to send to my 3D TV. About the lack of distance settings for the speakers, I will check if my PS3 does that. Upon researching my receivers manual, I found that my RCVR can do time alignment (distance) and bass management to speakers for sources connected to my 7.1 multi-channel analog inputs.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Looks like a nice way to use a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player with a receiver without full HDMI.

What do you do about speaker size and distance parameters for surround when connecting to a multi-channel analog input of a receiver?
Depends on the receiver. The correction features my still come into play.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis