MPAA Battles DVD Ripping in Court

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
A court case has just begun that could have deep implications into copyright laws. Representing major Hollywood studios the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) could put Fair Use in jeopardy if it gets its way. The studios group wants the court to find a DVD ripping application guilty of violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Discuss "MPAA Battles DVD Ripping in Court" here. Read the article.

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
We all know the movie companies don't want us to be able to make copies of their movies in any way shape or form. It's a miracle they haven't sued anybody for making a photocopy of the top of a dvd yet, so of course they don't want us to make backup copies of dvds even for personal use. If our kids ruin our dvd's we have to buy new copies, and more money for the distributors.

I did find a few more details in an article on the EFF website.

jinjuku

jinjuku

From the EFF Website:

"Anticipating Real's claim that its technology facilitates fair use, the studios also insisted that fair use never excuses digital copying of a DVD, and that they have a right to be paid for every additional copy made. As the attorney for the DVD-CCA put it: "DVD-CCA doesn't license copying."

I would like to mention to that attorney: I didn't enter into a license with the DVD-CCA. Even the FBI warning at the beginning of a DVD is nebulous at best.

Another thing to mention to the Attorney: I am purchasing a 'singularity of use product'. As long as I don't go outside that singular use (that is no concurrency copies) then I am within my rights as 'Sale of First Doctrine'. I can loan or sell my copy without fear of judicial reprisal. Where one would step over the line is keeping a 'copy' for themselves. Which people are already doing. Why do you think studios are pushing for a media-less distribution scheme where they can constantly update the encryption method?

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Why do you think studios are pushing for a media-less distribution scheme where they can constantly update the encryption method?
Yep.

You know, every time I read an article like this, I have a strong urge to illegaly copy something. Stupid RIAA MPAA borgs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think my daughter ruins 1 DVD copy per day.:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis