Trading SPL for Extension in Subwoofers - A Current Trend?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
More often than not consumers are swayed by a single parameter in a products specifications to judge its true performance. Lately it’s quite a popular trend on the forums of people critiquing a subwoofers performance by a simple metric; its -3dB point or how low the subwoofer can go in frequency before its sound output rolls off. This article will explore the trade offs associated with tuning a vented subwoofer system for the lowest achievable frequency output and demonstrate a balance between real usable extension and efficiency for achieving the best performance given a particular driver size and box enclosure. When doing comparisons of subwoofers by looking at specifications, remember that published specifications are almost always static measurements, and usually only reflect what a speaker does at low drive levels, where speakers tend to be linear and well behaved. This is why judging a subwoofers performance by a spec sheet or singular measurement metric is misleading and often dangerous when trying to determine the better product.

Discuss "Trading SPL for Extension in Subwoofers - A Current Trend?" here. Read the article.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Complicated terminologies, but I feel that I learned some stuff just by reading through the whole article and trying to picture everything together.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
A nice article. It must be stated that there are drivers that extend very well in smaller boxes, but they are not common.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Said the gumby: My brain hurts!!!

Are you the brain doctor?

Wow!!! I suppose that's what I get for being a liberal arts kinda guy. But, at the same time, I now understand why Hsu and SVS have those monster enclosures.

Cool article. I'll need an engineer to help me understand more of it next time I read it.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
But, at the same time, I now understand why Hsu and SVS have those monster enclosures.
Um, thats not big. Think 18" driver in a 22 cubic foot enclosure. :D

Paul_Apollonio

Paul_Apollonio

Audioholic Intern
How big is it?

I have said before and will say it again. The biggest limitation on subwoofer performance is the size of the box. Everyone wants a speaker that will reproduce all the instruments in an orchestra to fit in a shoebox. Why is it you guys can't come up with a tuba that fits in my glove compartment instead?

I used to design drivers for a vendor that sold speakers to Dr. Poh Hsu. I had a questionaire I used to find out how best to suit the customers speaker needs. It had 16 questions on it, one being "what is your price target?" Dr Hsu's answer was ZERO. He was a tough customer.

Back in 2006 in Brazil (Selenium) I made an 18" driver with a 1.57 inch long VC, 4 inches in diameter. We hit it with 10,000 watts, and watched the box walk across the parking lot (With ME sitting on it). That box was only 12 cubic feet (the port alone was 2 cubic feet). We also set off car alarms from 65 feet away. We could get two of those 18's in 22 cubic feet. Likely we'd have to glue it to the floor.

- Paul Apollonio
PS - Yeah, my head hurts too! Stop your complaining guys and study up!

F

fredk

Audioholic General
We hit it with 10,000 watts, and watched the box walk across the parking lot (With ME sitting on it).
Where's the video?

It seems most paying customers have a significant other that does not appreciate the upgrade in extension a big box brings. I would also imagine that the boxes that are the norm in the DIY world would be a tad expensive to ship across the country.

It is quite amazing to me what some companies have managed to squeeze out of small boxes.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Good article

I must be getting smarter from reading a few of Gene's articles before...I didn't find it difficult to understand.:D

So in breif...Go large if at all possible.:)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Think 30" EV in a 76ft³ cabinet. -3dB is 17.5Hz. The helicopters on The Wall were amazing. I miss them.

R

Refuge

Audiophyte
Lots of DIYers have already decided that B I G boxes aren't a bad thing and neither are 18" super subs with those expensive motors and heavy cones.
Checkout a couple of other forums, AVS and Home Theater Shack for those projects.
I went the super sub route but installed it in a small ( 6.1 cu ft) sealed enclosure. I get extended response (10HZ) and a 100 dbs by using a 1200 watt Crown PRO amp with a parametric equalizer. It's good enough to energize a 4800 sq ft listening room.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Lots of DIYers have already decided that B I G boxes aren't a bad thing and neither are 18" super subs with those expensive motors and heavy cones.
Checkout a couple of other forums, AVS and Home Theater Shack for those projects.
I went the super sub route but installed it in a small ( 6.1 cu ft) sealed enclosure. I get extended response (10HZ) and a 100 dbs by using a 1200 watt Crown PRO amp with a parametric equalizer. It's good enough to energize a 4800 sq ft listening room.
Can we see pics of that ??

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis