Emotiva UPA-2 Stereo Amplifier

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Emotiva is a name that is up-and-coming in the world of audio electronics. Manufacturing amplifiers and now loudspeakers, Emotiva is a brand that is moving beyond the fascination of the Internet Direct crowds and settling into the living rooms of mainstream consumers. These days manufacturers are adding more and more features into mid-fi and budget-level AV receivers. The trade-off, however, is usually in respect to amplifier power and quality. So what's a consumer to do if they want to achieve the maximum features with the maximum punch? Well one solution is to get a feature-rich A/V receiver and then add a two-channel amplifier. Best of both worlds? Absolutely, and for far less than buying a flagship AV receiver.

Discuss "Emotiva UPA-2 Stereo Amplifier " here. Read the article.

mr-ben

mr-ben

Audioholic
Corrections:

The UPA-2 is a traditional class AB design (like all current Emotiva amplifiers except the MPS-2 which uses a multi-rail class "H" design scheme).
Actually, the MPS-2 has been discontinued.

There are no balanced inputs, so you'll want to look at a higher-level amplifier (like the LPA-2) if you're matching it to a preamplifier with balanced outputs.
There is no LPA-2. The XPA-3 is the cheapest amp with balanced inputs.

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
I have one being delivered tomorrow. It will replace my B&K 1400 that lasted 9 years before bailing out on one channel.

There are no balanced inputs, so you'll want to look at a higher-level amplifier (like the LPA-2) if you're matching it to a preamplifier with balanced outputs.

There is no LPA-2. The XPA-3 is the cheapest amp with balanced inputs.
Meant to say XPA-2.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
When did the MPS-2 become discontinued? It's only listed as sold-out on their website.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
What is the nominal ohm rating on the Dali 8's? Will this amplifier safely drive 6 and even 4 ohm speakers?

S

soulrider4ever

Enthusiast
I'm curious - how would you compare the UPA-2 vs something like the Onix A-120mkii which was described as bold, dynamic, lively and on the warm side?

R

rpw718

Audiophyte
Upa-2

I've been looking at Emotiva amps for some time and I did buy a RSP-2 preamp. Now that they discontinued the RPA-2 which was their music amp I don't know what to do. Will UPA-2 X 2 run a pair of B&W 802 series 3's? I'm currently using two Rotel's at 60w @. My two channel listening room is 12WX16DX10H.

RPW718:cool:

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I've been looking at Emotiva amps for some time and I did buy a RSP-2 preamp. Now that they discontinued the RPA-2 which was their music amp I don't know what to do. Will UPA-2 X 2 run a pair of B&W 802 series 3's? I'm currently using two Rotel's at 60w @. My two channel listening room is 12WX16DX10H.

RPW718:cool:
very well:)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
ATTN: Clint/ Admin:

In the summary section on the first page of the article, it's price is listed as $299. I believe this is incorrect.

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
If you had ordered one when I did last week, the price would have been incorrect. I paid $269. Sale has ended.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
If you had ordered one when I did last week, the price would have been incorrect. I paid $269. Sale has ended.
WHAT! I dispise you and your blatant attempt at making me jealous. More so because it worked. :p

jinjuku

jinjuku

I would have liked to seen it compared to an Audio Source Amp or the Behringer A500

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have one being delivered tomorrow. It will replace my B&K 1400 that lasted 9 years before bailing out on one channel.
I would definitely like to here about your impressions about the UPA-2 compared to the B&K 1400.

Since you still have one good channel on the B&K are you going to A/B the amps?

What is the rest of your setup consist of?

Thx.

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
I would definitely like to here about your impressions about the UPA-2 compared to the B&K 1400.

Since you still have one good channel on the B&K are you going to A/B the amps?

What is the rest of your setup consist of?

Thx.
When I make time, I will A/B the UPA-2 with two channels of the B&K TX4430 that is currently driving the fronts. The 4430 is 200x3 and was of a "higher" class than the ST1400 when I bought them. Not sure that I want to try to make sense out of one good channel.

Setup currently includes:

Rotel RSP-1066 Pre/Pro
OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray
Rotel RDV-1040 DVD player

B&K TX4430 driving
Energy Pro RefCons across the front

Emotiva UPA-2 driving
Energy Pro 22 surrounds

Audiosource Amp 100 driving
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II rears

Audiosource Amp 100 driving 8 sets of ceiling and outdoor speakers with impedance matching volume controls through Zone 2 of Rotel RSP-1066

NHT MA-1A amp driving NHT SW-(1 or 2, I forgot which)
Optima HD73 projector
Carada 120"screen
Dish DVR
Adcom GDC-700 CD player
Sony HD FM receiver

Most of my stuff is pretty long in the tooth. The Energy sets are pushing 30 years old. I bought the B&K stuff nearly 15 years ago. Nearly the same with the NHT sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis