3 Tips for Home Theater on a Budget

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
These days, everyone is looking for ways to save a bit of scratch, but that doesn’t mean you have to scratch your plans for a decent home entertainment experience. A few simple adjustments in your purchases will soothe that home theater itch with surprisingly high quality results.

Discuss "3 Tips for Home Theater on a Budget" here. Read the article.

S

spartanstew

Enthusiast
I think those 3 things are obvious to anyone that reads this (or any other AV) forum.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the article Wayde. I'm currently waiting for Blu ray to come down and/or for Oppo to finally get on with it. This talk of projectors has me stepping back wards because I just got the 50" Panny but then I look around the spare room that I'm in and envision a Carada screen with a BR player and total light control with just a love seat recliner ... thinking that you can do this on a budget is nuts. It's like heroin. It's cheap to get started but then you better look out. ;)

I still liked the write up. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the article Wayde. I'm currently waiting for Blu ray to come down and/or for Oppo to finally get on with it. This talk of projectors has me stepping back wards because I just got the 50" Panny but then I look around the spare room that I'm in and envision a Carada screen with a BR player and total light control with just a love seat recliner ... thinking that you can do this on a budget is nuts. It's like heroin. It's cheap to get started but then you better look out. ;)

I still liked the write up. :)
What was that man? What did u say? Pass me another straw dude!! :D

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Thanks for the support of the story. I realize the "tips" as standalone pieces of advice might not be news to regular readers. But Audioholics articles have a wide reach across the Internet and I can already see this story linked in other blogs and in Google News.

I admit, I used a link-bait title and my hope was that it would appeal to newer readers or people genuinely researching Home Entertainment on a budget. I can think of no better place for them to get money-saving advice than here among the Audioholics community.

@Alex... I hear you on the addictive qualities of audio.

I have spent more than I needed to just because a better version of something was available (recently this was a receiver). I did so after struggling with the fact that there was almost no hope of my noticing any difference between A (what I already had) and B (what I was about to spend an extra $500 on).

Whew... it feels good to get that off my chest. My name is Wayde and I am an Audioholic.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
My name is Wayde and I am an Audioholic.
Hi, Wayde. :D

I'm an audioholic, too. It started in the late 70's when my dad quit smoking. He used the money he saved to buy a Pioneer receiver and some headphones to start. I remember listening to FM radio on the headphones. I was about 10 or 11 years old. That was like my first hit of crack. ;)

Jim

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
I can think of no better place for them to get money-saving advice than here among the Audioholics community.
You are so right. One of these days, I will put the pics of my budget price Audio system :). You will see how this site has helped me to get my budget system.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That was like my first hit of crack. ;)
Ah yes, the first of many. Whoops, wrong forum. :eek::eek:

Back to the budget thing. Yesterday I bought a 2 channel amp from a local guy that I got to meet and talk with for a couple of hours. For a little more than $100 I got to learn a couple of things that I didn't know, make some sort of human connection and walk away with a new toy. That is what I call stretching my entertainment dollar. :)

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
I think an omission to your helpful article for newbies is to not pay local retail for anything but rather order online after doing research online for product reviews and hands-on in your local BM store. Online sources such as the Audioholics store and Amazon offer great savings on everything from video displays to cables (especially cables) and sources such as eBay and craigslist for used components can also offer bargains - if you already know what you want - even after adding shipping and a lot of items can be had with free shipping. Additionally the tax-free savings (in most states) on internet purchases can add to the bargain-hunter's savings substantially.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis