McIntosh Reissues Classic 60s Amps, Price Adjusted for Inflation

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
McIntosh celebrates 60 years of hi-fi with reissues of classic amps. Included are the MC75 monoblock tube amp (originally released back in 1961) and the C22 preamp (introduced back in 1962). The components circuitry has been updated since their 1960s originals hit the market – and of course their prices have been adjusted for inflation.

Discuss "McIntosh Reissues Classic 60s Amps, Price Adjusted for Inflation" here. Read the article.

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
i hope im able to buy this kinda stuff some day and think nothinngg of it

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Pretty neat looking amps. However, way out of my league in the seventies and remains so.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
That's some pretty gear.

Too bad the performance of that antiquated gear can't come near the level of the cosmetics. :D

-Chris

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
That is what comes of subjective listening without any regard for proper procedures and reality. Certain pieces of gear become regarded as having magical properties, so people pay insane prices for it. Given the insanity of so many "audiophiles", it makes a lot of sense to reissue old gear. I own an old piece of McIntosh gear that I picked up for next to nothing some years ago. It is extremely well constructed, so one's money isn't spent on absolutely nothing when buying McIntosh, but the typical price for it is ridiculous. You can buy something from its era for next to nothing that sounds as good.

I would not buy the new gear of old designs no matter how much money I had. I might buy modern McIntosh gear if I were a multimillionaire, but I doubt even that. But, of course, I am not one to believe that equipment has magical properties, so I am not the target audience for it anyway.

B

B3Nut

Audioholic
I don't believe equipment has magical properties either, but had I the scratch I would buy a McIntosh system. There's just something about rock-solid gear handmade in the US that pretty much will last the lifetime of the purchaser, and most likely be handed down to the next of kin in near-perfect working order. Everything about their gear reflects the result of equipment made by people who actually love what they do and love what they're building. Mass-market gear has no such essence...the robots and underpaid wage-slaves building it could just as easily be building toasters or Frisbees.

Could I tell a modern solid-state Mc apart from, say, a new Behringer EP2500 in a proper double-blind test? Doubt it highly. Will that Mc still be playing years after the Behringer reached its end and did its best Chinese fireworks impersonation? You betcha.

And that reissue set is just gorgeous. :) Lash that up to some Cornwalls and spin Brubeck's "Time Out" and Miles's "Kind Of Blue"...mix up an old-school Manhattan...yeah, that would work. :D

W

Wildgift

Enthusiast
I am too terrified to see what the "price adjusted for inflation" would be...

Oh, crap, i did anyway :-0

J

jamie2112

Banned
Way too much money...$15000 are you nuts......:eek: no thanks...

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
Will that Mc still be playing years after the Behringer reached its end and did its best Chinese fireworks impersonation? You betcha.
But you can buy 40+ EP2500s for the price of that McIntosh... But price minded thinking isn't whats selling these.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
But you can buy 40+ EP2500s for the price of that McIntosh... But price minded thinking isn't whats selling these.
Yes. And that is why the reliability argument doesn't work for me. It would be different if we were putting something on a space probe and could not go out and replace it, but in my home, if something fails, I can easily put a new one in. And if it gets stolen or something, it will be better if it is cheap.

Also, being solidly constructed is not the same as being reliable in use. There are other brands of old gear that, in my experience, seem as reliable as McIntosh gear, even though they are not quite as solidly constructed.

But if I were wealthy, I might consider buying McIntosh gear, but not remakes of their old gear. It would be their new designs or I would go with a different brand.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Their solid state amps form 73 on are just just as solid as those made today. Mine was made in 79 and provides everything asked of it. Huge autotransformer, power to spare, and flawless performance. Stable down to 1ohm and tremedous protection. I agree that many amps can provide close to the same performance at lesser price but I've had zero reason to complain and other than two tape decks and a reel to reel, no other gear that I've owned. other than some speakers have stood the test of time.

N

NativeTexan

Audiophyte
Well when you think about $15000 for the system, that is FAR less that the average bass boat (average in my area $35,000) or an in ground pool or matching Harley's yet you see these items all the time. When compared to other options and the length of service and the high level performance, the McIntosh gear is some of the least expensive electronics on the market.

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
Well when you think about $15000 for the system, that is FAR less that the average bass boat (average in my area $35,000) or an in ground pool or matching Harley's yet you see these items all the time. When compared to other options and the length of service and the high level performance, the McIntosh gear is some of the least expensive electronics on the market.
It may be less expensive than a bass boat, pool or two Harley's, but I don't see how you can call it "some of the least expensive electronics on the market."

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis