UK Family has HT Kit Confiscated over Noise Complaints

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Apparently local city authorities in Rochdale, Lancashire have too much time on their hands and not enough real crime so they raided the house of a local family and confiscated the TV and sound system over a few noise complaints.

Discuss "UK Family has HT Kit Confiscated over Noise Complaints" here. Read the article.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

And the Brits wonder why the Colonies tossed 'em out?;)

Deadeye

Deadeye

Audioholic Intern
I wonder if what they were playing was a factor? Neal Diamond singing "sweet Caroline" or fity cent saying "I walk in the bar with my d**k in my hand". If it was fity make them a guest of the city! Just kidding. I live in a row house and try to be considerate of my neighbors. Could it be they weren't? Maybe they live next door to old Ebenezer. They had been warned, hadn't they?
Take the TV? I didn't know they would go that loud. Seems like there's more than what's being reported.

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
Since we don’t know all the details of what was happening SPL, time of day, type of noise (e.g. heavy bass) etc… I reserve judgment on what the authorities did. On one hand the audio/HT/gaming enthusiast in me says it sure sucks to get that treatment, on the other hand it also sucks to be subjected to someone else’s noise if your trying to enjoy your audio hobby.

I’ve had and HT setup in my apartment for over 2 years with nary a complaint because I make a point to enjoy my system without bothering others. About 7 months ago a new neighbor started with the loud bass music, even in the middle of the night. It became impossible to enjoy my hobby because of his noise.

So after countless complaints to the apartment management and about 7 calls to the police, the police asked me to make out a disorderly conduct complaint so they could arrest him. He spent the night in jail (he was drunk) and was eventually sentenced to two weeks in Sheriff Joe‘s lockup. Not sure what happened to his equipment but not one note has come through the wall since then.

While it’s easy, perhaps natural, to assume the complainers were just curmudgeons there’s the possibility at least one of them was an audio enthusiast who just wanted to peacefully enjoy their hobby.

Cheers,
Dean

P.S. Closing on a house in a week. :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Why not just fine them instead of stealing thier personal property.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
We actually had another thread about this that Major started... here are some of the articles and key points that I posted back then:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Family-62-Inch-Plasma-TV-Confiscated-By-Rochdale-Council-Over-Nuisance-Noise-Complaints/Article/200903215240043?f=rss

Here's the article. Couple key points:

1) According to the text the family had been in trouble several times before with the city regarding noise.

2) Supposedly part of the city code allows the tv to be confiscated under its "Environmental Health Act"

3) The family can get the TV back after 28 days by paying a fine.

Daily Mail- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1161183/Confiscated-benefit-familys-62in-TV-plagued-neighbours.html

According to authorities they have breached noise levels (and been warned) 8 times in the past couple years. They deserve what they got.

DavidW

DavidW

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Daily Mail- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1161183/Confiscated-benefit-familys-62in-TV-plagued-neighbours.html

According to authorities they have breached noise levels (and been warned) 8 times in the past couple years. They deserve what they got.
The number of complaints aside, which varies between 6 and 8 from different accounts, the Daily Mail notes an interesting point:

Mrs Cregan, who, along with one of her children is partially deaf, was unrepentant. She denies Miss Kausser's account.

When the set is returned, she said there would be little respite for the neighbours. 'I'll have to listen to it at the same volume as before, otherwise I can't hear it.'

Picking on the hearing impared will not likely get Rochdale council any sympathy for its actions. If the majority of the complaint against the Cregans is based on loud cartoons, then Rockdale authorities overreacted.

The other bit about techno music with loud bass until all hours of the night, the same Daily Mail article has pictures of the Cregans audio gear. I can't see that plastic covered psuedo component stack and those speakers cranking out any significant bass. That stuff looks like gear one could buy here from Walmart with wattage output that you can probably count on your fingers. But if they were playing it loud at inappropriate times frequently, that is is more reasonable cause for police involvement.

I am by no means defending the Cregans, but I think there are some other facts that suggest that the local governement may have overreacted, especially considering that the mother and one of the children are partially deaf.

David

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Time to get this family a real setup:) I'll give the neighbors good reason to complain.

I'm thinking 4 Axis builds with one behringer each.:D

Actually since they are deaf. Why not sound treat the house with 4inch thick 8lb rockwool on the exterior walls. That would easily cut down the volume.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis