Comcast Shares Subscription TV Kool-Aid

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The future of TV industry pricing has been a hot topic lately and Comcast COO Steve Burke did an interview with TechFlash.com to air his views. He wanted to set the record straight as to why Cable and subscription TV doesn’t need to adapt to change and a new business environment being set by Internet content streaming. Burke sounds like a brontosaurus explaining why that light in the sky won’t affect his daily feast of tasty cycadophyte leaves.

Discuss "Comcast Shares Subscription TV Kool-Aid" here. Read the article.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Granted, there are a lot of flaws in this, but...

I'm not so sure I like the notion of purchasing my content a la carte. Sure, I wish I could get more programming that I like, but I also like the idea of finding something I might never have considered ordering when I'm just up in the middle of the night trying to find something on that isn't "Paid Programming." Like tripping across a Chaplin movie I've never seen on TMC or some funky thing on National Geographic.

There's something to be said for serendipity, but if all your programming choices are based on you actively seeking something (and there's definitely room for that if you purchase a bundled programming package), you sort of have to know it's out there. I like accidentally finding things I didn't know were there.

It's kind of like going to a Mom-and-Pop record store (if you can find one anymore). The people there seem to know so much more that anyone in a Big Box store, and they tend to have a lot more choices that are further out toward the edges of the bell curve.

I just feel that a lot of this will drive us more toward homogeneity, and it'll be, ultimately, the advertisers who benefit most of all and us getting served progressively poorer content.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I'm not so sure I like the notion of purchasing my content a la carte.
I hear ya. I'm sure network bundles won't go away completely. It's just about offering choices.

I used to enjoy surfing cable but I find myself less and less inclined especially with PVR. I lose interest as soon as ads start. I've lost that patience I used to have for watching two shows at once using commercials to switch between.

I do some "future" surfing through the guide and look for odd documentaries and click record - that's my only source of serendipity. Otherwise I rely on Internet recommendations for new shows or movies to try.

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
I hear ya. I'm sure network bundles won't go away completely. It's just about offering choices.

I used to enjoy surfing cable but I find myself less and less inclined especially with PVR. I lose interest as soon as ads start. I've lost that patience I used to have for watching two shows at once using commercials to switch between.

I do some "future" surfing through the guide and look for odd documentaries and click record - that's my only source of serendipity. Otherwise I rely on Internet recommendations for new shows or movies to try.
same here..

internet>tv:D

Movies to shows..alll available online.

E

edmundsingleton

Audiophyte
Niche Programing

Anyone interested in niche programing it seems that is what the internet is for as for the rest of us, the paying customer, give us what we want and nothing else.

bm123

Audiophyte
I know of a friend who cancelled their cable service because all their shows were available online..hulu, on the networks websites, etc, and its a lot more convenient as well!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis