Onkyo TX-SR607 with Dolby PLIIz

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Onkyo announced three new receivers in their lineup headed by the TX-SR607. The new '07 models include the TX-SR307 and TX-SR507. All of the models support 1080p resolution, Deep Color, and x.v.Color. The $599 TX-SR607 bumps up the wattage to 90 per channel and adds Dolby ProLogic IIz which adds height channels above the mains.

Discuss "Onkyo TX-SR607 with Dolby PLIIz" here. Read the article.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
So, they raised the price and/or kept it the same to gain one more HDMI input plus front high speaker capability at the expensive of multichannel analog inputs? (They never had pre-outs on the previous two 60x series.)

What's the benefit of this front high stuff again? Is this for people who don't want to run proper surrounds? (Doubtful, as it replaces the rear surrounds rather than the surround/surrounds on the speaker binding posts.)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
What's the benefit of this front high stuff again? Is this for people who don't want to run proper surrounds? (Doubtful, as it replaces the rear surrounds rather than the surround/surrounds on the speaker binding posts.)
it sells more speakers :) Its a height channel much like Yamaha's been doing for the last 20 years. Dolby finally caught up :)

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
That's what I thought, liked it better when it was called 'presence' channels... :rolleyes: -TD

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
dammit. now i'm gonna obsess about where to put the "presence channels"

S

Scottfox

Audiophyte
I think the intent is to add height as in an overhead jet fly-by.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
ProLogicIIz Explained a bit.

Dolby ProLogicIIz matrixes info off of the sound track and sends it to a set of "High" channels. It's really nothing more than an extension (height-wise) of your front L/R channels.

THX already has a spec. out for these pressence/height speakers (whatever you wanna call them), however it hasn't been implemented in anything for the consumer...yet.

Audyssey and THX already have a consumer product in the works (almost done according to Audyssey) that does a similar process like the Yamaha pressence speakers and the D-PLIIz. I had the chance to actually hear a beta demo. at CES this January. Pretty impressive stuff. They played a 7.1 track of a live Blu-Ray Jazz performance, and then they kicked in their 10.2 speaker spec. with the High L/R channels, and it really deepened the soundstage and added the affect of a live Jazz hall better than I've ever heard it (other than live). The extra channels add a sense of realism that I just haven't heard in a separate configuration (a system without "pressence" speakers).

Now while pretty much none of that pertains to Dolby PLIIz, and since no one has heard it yet, I can just guess that it will have a similar affect on the front sound stage.

Good job and happy listening to anyone that implements the extra channels into their home theater system. My hats off to your for pushing our digital audio envelope.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
7.1 is too much for the average room. I can see a dedicated home theater with tall ceilings possible making use of this. Reads (not sure it sounds so) interesting.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It's an interesting idea but introduced at the wrong price point (I'm sure $$$$ models are coming) I just can't see the average home listener getting away (WAF) with running wires across the ceiling and nobody builds a new prewired listening space around a $500 receiver.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
My house is wired for in-ceiling speakers but I currently don't have any speakers in the ceiling. 'Presence' channels are usually placed above the front speakers but I'm now curious if using in-ceiling speakers that are more or less directly above the listening position as the height speakers will create an interesting effect or just muddy things up.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
7.1 is too much for the average room. I can see a dedicated home theater with tall ceilings possible making use of this. Reads (not sure it sounds so) interesting.
I enjoy it very much in my living room. And it's not a dedicated theater. Well not usually :D

N

nexus99

Enthusiast
I wonder how PLIIz and the onkyo 607 and PS3 BR player will all work together?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis