DISH Network ViP 722 Receiver/DVR Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
DISH Network brings an interesting take on the DVR with the ViP 722 satellite receiver. This DVR is a dual-tuner, two-TV receiver that allows 55 hours of high definition record time, or 350 hours of standard definition (or a combination of both). What's helpful about this receiver is that it comes with an RF remote control that enables non-line-of-sight control of the unit from other rooms. This means that while the HD tuner is used in one room, the system can be controlled elsewhere - like in a bedroom.

Discuss "DISH Network ViP 722 Receiver/DVR Review" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
55 minutes of HD, that isn't right. The article states 55 hrs. It is a pretty nice DVR, my friend has the same unit and he seems to be pleased with it, other than the fact that he must have either a phone line or lan cable connected, or he will be charged by DISH.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Clint, the 722 doesn't merely add more storage space than the 622. The 722 is also black. The 622 is old school silver. :p Seriously, the 722 also adds more VOD programming than the 622 due to the increased storage space.

It's definitely a slip saying 55 minutes. The 622 does 30 hours of full bitrate (19 Mbps) 1080i MPEG2 HD. Obviously, recompressed MPEG4 takes up a lot less space allowing for more hours. The 722 is 55 hours. The upcoming 922 is the one to make you say, "Wow!", with its built in Sling box capability. It's interesting that you review the 722 the week the 722k comes out.

Thanks for the review, Clint!

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I have Dishnetwork and this DVR. 2 of them actually; 1 in my master bedroom and 1 in the family room. They are pretty decent. I can tell you though that I hate the Dish Network menus. They are much less user friendly than Direct Tv and Comcast Digital Cable IMO....

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
And it's 55 hours of HD... Not minutes.. But you guys already figured that one out.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
DISH Network brings an interesting take on the DVR with the ViP 722 satellite receiver. This DVR is a dual-tuner, two-TV receiver that allows 55 minutes of high definition record time, or 350 minutes of standard definition (or a combination of both). What's helpful about this receiver is that it comes with an RF remote control that enables non-line-of-sight control of the unit from other rooms. This means that while the HD tuner is used in one room, the system can be controlled elsewhere - like in a bedroom.

Discuss "DISH Network ViP 722 Receiver/DVR Review" here. Read the article.
Sorry, another side note. You can't get an HD signal on the 2nd set however. You can control the system from 2 rooms, but HD is only available in the room where the actual unit resides..

majorloser

majorloser

I have a ViP622 and use a 1 TB external drive with no problems.

I'd recommend anybody who gets one of these add an external USB drive for additinal space. You can eat through 55 hours of HD in no time flat.

E

erewards

Audiophyte
remote questions

Can anyone confirm that the RF remote can be used when you use the this DVR with just one television?

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
A

allargon

Audioholic General
Awww shoot. This is an awesome post. I've seen these flipping through channels, but it never occurred to me to record them or check for a schedule. Think I'll be needing a bigger hard drive now. I just found 3 concert this Sunday I want to record! Do any external HD's work?
Any external USB 2.0 HD's work. You can use the USB/Firewire/eSATA ones, but they tend to be more expensive. Best bang for the buck right now is the Seagate 1.5TB ones that are buggy for every day usage but good enough for DVR archiving. They are about $129 at Amazon, TigerDirect and Fry's.

BTW, you forgot about concerts on PBS. PBS quality varies, but generally OTA is better than the recompressed stuff that the satellite and cable providers tend to give.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Any external USB 2.0 HD's work. You can use the USB/Firewire/eSATA ones, but they tend to be more expensive. Best bang for the buck right now is the Seagate 1.5TB ones that are buggy for every day usage but good enough for DVR archiving. They are about $129 at Amazon, TigerDirect and Fry's.

BTW, you forgot about concerts on PBS. PBS quality varies, but generally OTA is better than the recompressed stuff that the satellite and cable providers tend to give.
Thanks. I'll check out the schedule on PBS. I think we get that channel in HD...

LeeinNC

LeeinNC

Enthusiast
I have Dishnetwork and this DVR. 2 of them actually; 1 in my master bedroom and 1 in the family room. They are pretty decent. I can tell you though that I hate the Dish Network menus. They are much less user friendly than Direct Tv and Comcast Digital Cable IMO....
I have the same DVR and I have to agree completely - the menus really stink, though the DVR works well overall

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I find the menus on my 722 to be for more intuitive and user friendly than the Comcast boxes. The icon based menus on Comcast boxes are horrible, IMO.

The new Sling Guide from the upcoming VIP-922 (minus the new remote and some other features) should be out for th 722 before too long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACaG3fwiYEQ&feature=related

LeeinNC

LeeinNC

Enthusiast
Sorry, another side note. You can't get an HD signal on the 2nd set however. You can control the system from 2 rooms, but HD is only available in the room where the actual unit resides..
I am running HD on 2 sets with the 722, but I've got dual RG6 through the whole house, and they have an inverter running between the connections. On the second set, it is HD in HDMI1 and standard def. with DVR control on channel 60.:cool:

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Does anyone know if you can use an external hard drive on the Scientific Atlanta Explorer dvr? I wondered why it has a USB port on it, never gave it a thought about it possibly being for adding an external hard drive. I guess I can plug my flash drive into and see what happens.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I got Cablevision's Scientific Atlanta [btw: now Cisco] Explorer 8300HD and I connected 500Gb drive in eSATA enclose and it works fine.
I bought one from highly recommended Apricorn. I assembled the drive myself, but you can get eSata drive 500gb-to 1.5Tb right from them (a bit overpriced imho)

I don't know if USB drives will work or not.

http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=10

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis