Elemental Designs A7S-450 Subwoofer Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The A7S-450 is a lot of subwoofer for the money. It performs well, blatting out a lot of deep bass, but not at the expense of musical nuance and subtlety. Contrary to its considerable size, it is also fully capable of disappearing, sonically, blending well in a properly calibrated and tuned system, handling quiet bottom end detail, and belting it out when called upon without giving it position away. That is unless you look at it; then the A7S-450 is hard to miss. If the room to board this beast is available and the wife won’t kill you for bringing it home, it is definitely a worthy subwoofer to consider at anywhere near its price point. Highly recommended!

Discuss "Elemental Designs A7S-450 Subwoofer Review" here. Read the article.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I don't know if they will still do this: You may be able to request that they ship you the sub unfinished.

Matt34

Matt34

I don't know if they will still do this: You may be able to request that they ship you the sub unfinished.

Yes they do and they will customize box dimensions to meet your needs. When I started looking at replacement subs last month two of these were on that initial list and Alex (I think?) was very helpfull via e-mail.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the nice review. I like eD's 12 volt stuff, but for HT subs, I'll stick with something a bit more refined.

B

blued888

Audioholic
Is this the second third party review of an eD sub? There's an A2-300 review floating around somewhere if I remember correctly.

And btw, their subs are all matte-finished now. :)

Matt34

Matt34

Is this the second third party review of an eD sub? There's an A2-300 review floating around somewhere if I remember correctly.

And btw, their subs are all matte-finished now. :)

They've done a reveiw on the ED floorstanders but I think this is the first sub.

5.7tbi

Audiophyte
A dual voice coil subwoofer. By the way he was describing the driver it seemed as if he had never seen one before. The 19Ov.2 was originally designed for car audio applications and having dual voice coils allows for more wiring options. He says "There are two pairs of wire terminals located at opposite sides of the driver, apparently to allow bi-amplification for car usage." I was kind of suprised to read that to be honest, I don't know of too many people using an amp for each voice coil. I think it should be edtited to avoid confusion. Other than that it was a well written in depth review, I hope to see some of eD's others subs reviewed because I would like to hear how they stack up against the competition.

5.7tbi

Audiophyte
A subwoofer is a subwoofer. What about the infamous Kappa diy build that everyone raves about? Thats a car audio subwoofer!...if there is such a thing. I don't want to speak for eD, but I'm sure using the 19Ov.2, (or at least something very close to it), was the most cost effective choice, not to mention the fact that it is a nice subwoofer. I'm not to sure what exactly a "car subwoofer" is.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I want Mike to buy two of them and give his review.

Sean

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sounds like they are just slapping a car subwoofer into a box...
I think that was a poor review that skirted shortcomings and manufacturer's over rosy specifications.

The sub is sealed, and the results of the EQ switch were not discussed.

The manufacturer states that this sub is +/- 3db at 22 Hz. Your measurements show second order 12 db/octave roll off starting at around 60 Hz. Peak output is actually about 75 Hz. The sub is 18 db down at 22 Hz. Not very useful without EQ.

You state that this sub has a switch for boost at 25 Hz. This sub in fact needs boosting 12 db per octave from 60 Hz down.

The review should have shown the effect of the boost switch.

Above all, Eq of 12 db per octave should have been applied starting around 60 Hz. Then you should have measured achievable spl at a reasonable level of distortion.

Based on your review the product can not be recommended.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Sounds like they are just slapping a car subwoofer into a box...
Um they certainly weren't the first or last online subwoofer company to do this:rolleyes:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I think that was a poor review that skirted shortcomings and manufacturer's over rosy specifications.

The sub is sealed, and the results of the EQ switch were not discussed.

The manufacturer states that this sub is +/- 3db at 22 Hz. Your measurements show second order 12 db/octave roll off starting at around 60 Hz. Peak output is actually about 75 Hz. The sub is 18 db down at 22 Hz. Not very useful without EQ.

You state that this sub has a switch for boost at 25 Hz. This sub in fact needs boosting 12 db per octave from 60 Hz down.

The review should have shown the effect of the boost switch.

Above all, Eq of 12 db per octave should have been applied starting around 60 Hz. Then you should have measured achievable spl at a reasonable level of distortion.

Based on your review the product can not be recommended.
We appreciate your opinion but I trust David's recommendation of this product since I've thrown all the major well designed subs from the likes of JL, Velodyne, HSU and Sunfire at him in the past. His measurements may be a bit off and are too smoothed to really get a good picture of what is happening. His listening tests certainly don't agree with your assessment.

jinjuku

jinjuku

We appreciate your opinion but I trust David's recommendation of this product since I've thrown all the major well designed subs from the likes of JL, Velodyne, HSU and Sunfire at him in the past. His measurements may be a bit off and are too smoothed to really get a good picture of what is happening. His listening tests certainly don't agree with your assessment.
Can't the listening tests be quantified a bit more with measurement data like TLSGuy is mentioning?

With out looking at the site, is there a sticky for testing and measurement protocol for subs?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well I sure would not buy it. In any event without Eq a sealed sub has to roll off well above 22 Hz. If there was no Eq applied David's measurements would be expected. I bet his measurements are close.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
The butt-connectors attaching the wire out of the outsourced amps into the driver is horrid. I wouldn't even butt-connect my car stereo let alone a home subwoofer I was selling for 800 bucks.:eek:

jinjuku

jinjuku

The butt-connectors attaching the wire out of the outsourced amps into the driver is horrid. I wouldn't even butt-connect my car stereo let alone a home subwoofer I was selling for 800 bucks.:eek:
Agreed. I was surprised to see that as well. Should have done a splice, solder, and heat shrink.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed. I was surprised to see that as well. Should have done a splice, solder, and heat shrink.
Nod. Or just order a wire long enough from their amplifier manfucturer where they could directly attach the amplifier to the driver...that would make the most sense. Might not be a "to spec" order though, they might just order something off the shelf.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I asked the folks over at Elemental Designs to look over this thread and address some of the concerns. Here is their official response:

Thank you Audioholics and David Waratuke for your comprehensive review and giving Elemental Designs the opportunity to express our position regarding some of the concerns that have been raised in this forum support thread. We realize we are not the end all be all to subwoofers; it is not our intention to be. We sell a product for a price that is far less expensive than most companies using better materials and proprietary parts. While doing this we do realize our products aren't right for every customer that is something that is perfectly fine with us. We hope to earn their referral by guiding them in the direction of a product that is right for their needs. We're hoping to provide a product to the clients whose application we fit. For now that's big subwoofers, painted black, without many limiters, made from good materials.

What we lack in refinement we make up for in product, support, pricing, and care. If we sold the exact same product as everyone else not only would that be boring, but we'd have no way to pay our bills since the market would be oversaturated with too many similar products. We're out to build a different type of product the way our customers ask us to.

I would encourage anyone to drop our sales / tech department an email or phone call with any questions or concerns they may have. If that's not convenient we also have live support available 9AM to 6PM right on our web site or forums.

Re: Car/12v Drivers. (It looks like this was already addressed in this forum but this is one thing that makes us extremely unique).

When it comes to the transducers used in Elemental Designs home audio subwoofers they are all comprised of Elemental Designs parts. I.e. these are not over the counter parts or someone else's work. This is our tooling, our parts, and our engineering. A little known fact about Elemental Designs is our part catalog dwarfs most companies. Our current catalog includes over 200 tools of which are not sold or licensed to any other companies.

Having such a massive parts catalog and driver base allows us to match parts at a greater speed and predictability than a typical speaker company here in the USA.

It is also worth noting that the original engineering behind most of our bass transducers is geared towards a small sealed box due to their 12v heritage. This really lends to EXCELLENT small vented performance or for matching with a HT sealed alignment in a higher dampened enclosure.

By design our drivers lead to excellent home audio performance; and long term we'll likely change some cosmetics to make them less silver. But for now we feel our drivers outperform the OEM options set forth by some of the standard driver giants.

These drivers 12v heritage also speaks to the hunger clients have for more output down low. We've really helped pave the road in high value, high excursion, and tight tolerance subwoofers over the past few years. We're not alone but we've spent almost a decade concentrating on the craft of subwoofer transducers.

I think we represent a black sheep in the audio world. We've spent more time on the drivers than we have on the cabinet finish; a fact that is likely obvious. We'll adapt and grow with the market. We made a conscious decision to manufacture these cabinets here in Iowa in house. While that may limit our refinement a bit I think that it gives us more control over the evolution of our products; albeit this fact carries some cosmetic short falls for clients looking for different finishes.

The difference typically between a well engineered transducer sold to the 12v market and the home market is color and stickers. Not much else.

RE: Roll off.

As mentioned in the thread any time your using a sealed enclosure you'll see a few things that are a fact of life. They each have ways of correcting them.

1. Higher roll off.

Problem : When un-eq'd the roll off point visually is going to look higher and need electronic correction unless electronically limited prior to being input into subwoofer if that perfect line is desired. We prefer not to do this due to the expense of output that customers love.

Solution : eQ. By supplementing the product with heavy EQ (as most manufactures do) you'll actually lower the peak output around its low frequency peak / roll off point. This won't actually change the roll off dramatically but on paper this will make it appear significantly smoother.

You could utilize an eQ.2 or something like a SMS-1 and still be at half price of comparable output subwoofers if you’re chasing the line. We'll be happy to walk over the set up of either device.

2. A shallower roll off.

Problem: A shallower roll off vs. a vented enclosure is what I’m referring to. Your f3 point may be higher but the f10 point typically will be lower by a large margin. This corresponds to increased output sub 15-20hz.

Now this isn't to say you couldn't experience anything in between. Obviously our web site typically is going to (like any seller) feature an idealized vision of the product.

This shallow roll off is a bit deceiving as attributing sound pressure levels and sound quality to a line expressed in a computer is next to impossible for any of us to do. We can see it but the difference to closing your eyes and listening to your favorite CD vs. looking at a graph is quite dramatic.

Typically while the roll off may be different from a vented cabinet; the amount of output the cabinets retain at low frequencies you can still hear and feel is significantly greater than many other offerings simply due to cone area, mass, and power. Again, as seen by the review, it's an incredibly capable speaker. When the speaker is on and playing through different source material, even people with the highest dollar reference speakers find it to be incredibly musical and capable.

With that said.

We don't inherently limit the top end to make the roll off different. We allow the cabinet to roll off naturally and open the door with equalization if the user sees fit by providing headroom in spades.

As you can see by David's review we may lack some of the good looks of other cabinets. We've followed a very simple theory with our home subwoofers. Keep it simple. Don't fight physics. Paint it black. Offer free tech support for life on every product sold.

It's also worth noting. Our job is to give the consumer what they want. If they want a different driver, cabinet, amplifier or whatever else; we'll build it and ship it just the same. Luckily we are the manufacturer and we can actually customize product quite quickly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis