Digital TV Conversion: How Do You Spell SNAFU?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We’re only a day into the new Digital TV age and things just haven’t gone right so far. The switch to Digital TV has been confusing enough for the average consumer. Only a year ago the switch was officially announced that Feb 17th 2009 would mark the dawning of a new age of DTV. Things haven’t worked out as planned – leading even the most seasoned TV experts to scratch their head in wonder.

Discuss "Digital TV Conversion: How Do You Spell SNAFU?" here. Read the article.

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the updates on this topic - any updates for your Canadian friends on the topic of the switch over?

Alissa

Alissa

Enthusiast
Screw TV, i love Treasure Island!

It's not really a surprise that procrastination was rampant. Was everyone guaranteed a $40 voucher? Maybe if they had said the first million people to apply for a voucher get $40 (pardon my math, if it's off), the next million $20, etc, more people would've gotten on the ball.

I just know I'm going home to watch PVR'd Lie to Me, and i won't miss a single episode of 24, since our TV is already shipshape. Treasure Island will have to wait till Jack Bauer's done for the day.

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
2011? :rolleyes:

Leave it to Canada to lag behind... however by the time that the US rolls this out completely perhaps both countries will be on the same page.

That is, of course, if Canada doesn't drop the ball in implementing the change too.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Our local CBS affiliate in OKC changed to VHF digital from UHF digital for some unknown reason and many viewers have lost signal here. I am within 5 miles of the tower and get "no signal" using a Zenith Silver Sensor which worked fine for VHF before the switch (although it is a UHF antenna I am close enough that it worked). They admit they are only at 80% power for some stupid reason. Thankfully I have Dish HD and use it for that station's reception.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The biggest fiasco is that procrastination is being given more leeway and time at the cost of others. IT IS A $50 BOX! GO BUY IT! Every Best Buy and Wal-Mart has a huge stack of them, and you don't need a converter coupon to go buy a converter.

It really irks me that one more cent of our $$$ is being spent on the lazy and cheap.

Give me 60 minutes and I'll have a converter box at my home. Why should anyone need additional months for this?

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
Unfortunately, as in all things in life, the slowest rower in the boat sets the pace for all of us. :(

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Unfortunately, as in all things in life, the slowest rower in the boat sets the pace for all of us. :(
Need a bit more of "The slowest rower in the boat gets kicked off the team."

Really, people who don't know about this transition really just need their TVs turned off by the changeover to understand that it applies to them.

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
Our local CBS affiliate in OKC changed to VHF digital from UHF digital for some unknown reason and many viewers have lost signal here. I am within 5 miles of the tower and get "no signal" using a Zenith Silver Sensor which worked fine for VHF before the switch (although it is a UHF antenna I am close enough that it worked). They admit they are only at 80% power for some stupid reason. Thankfully I have Dish HD and use it for that station's reception.
I suspect the problem may be your antenna. Most indoor antennas (Silver Sensor included) are a compromise of size vs. function. Could you not fit a CM4221 clone in your attic? I get them locally for $25 each and pull in stations from about 50 miles away no problem.

With regards to the other thoughts in this thread, for Canadian OTA, all the major networks are broadcasting digital and analog. Hockey night in Canada on CBC-HD is great! The trouble is, there is almost no PSIP data. I think CBC and CTV are the only ones showing data (maybe SunTV too) Omni 1 and 2, and CityTV are not showing PSIP data. My EPG just shows (DTV program) where the guide should be.

OTA is alive and well though, and I cancelled my cable 4 months ago and haven't looked back. I'm getting ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, MyTV, TheCW, CBC, CTV, Omni 1, Omni 2, Global, CityTV, and SunTV. Most of them are in HD. And this is all happening on my Samsung HL67A750 w/ built in ATSC tuner. :D

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Last week I went and got a $9.99 Philips combo UHF/VHF antenna and re-scanned and get everything with even better signal level than the Silver Sensor - most channels show 100% with the weakest at 95. I'm sure it helps that I had the SS and the new one going thru a Blonder Tongue BIDA 50 amp (although it is just idling).

The issue I now have is that my Dish HD PVR's OTA is fine but the CBS station is showing up twice in my TV's channel list and won't tune the signal unless I go into the signal strength meter and select the channel and then it works. If I merely tune to the channel it shows "no signal" - I'm guessing since it is in the channel lineup twice. It's a Panny 42PX80U. I've tried to edit the channel list and re-scanned to no avail. It still shows up twice in the list as 9-1... :confused:

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
The issue I now have is that my Dish HD PVR's OTA is fine *snip*
Speaking of which, I'm really looking forward to the DTV Pal DVR. There are a lot of issues with them at the moment, but if/when they get smoothed out, I'd be all over that. $250 for an HD DVR with a good TVGOS based guide!

I used to pay $75 a month incl tax and HD box rental for cable. And the truth is I was probably watching 75% the same HD networks that I get now for free. PBS replaces the discovery channel (Nova is great, and no ads!), the only thing I really miss is TSN (can version of ESPN) and Speed. No F1 in HD for me. :(

But with an HD PVR, I can record a lot of the great shows that are on when I'm not home, and have lots of free HD programming available whenever I want to watch it. :D

I say yay to DTV. A few of the kinks need to be worked out, but so far DTV already outweighs cable/sat for me.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Well - I finally fixed the dual channel issue - had to do a full reset on the TV. Then had to re-scan, enter input labels, video settings etc. = PITA. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis