PlayStation 3 Firmware Update 2.60

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
PS3 owners may have noticed a new firmware update in the last 24 hours. The new version 2.60 is now live and ready for download upon connection to PlayStation Network. The latest update provides a few minor improvements to the console’s media capabilities including photo viewing tools and a compatibility to a new version of the DivX codec.

Discuss "PlayStation 3 Firmware Update 2.60" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I want .mkv support on the PS3, why didn't they give us that?

shenaniganz

shenaniganz

Junior Audioholic
Speaking of the ps3 anybody upgrade the HDD on it. Any suggestions?

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
When are we going to be able to stream Netflix in full HD?!?!

Sean

C

cl0316

Enthusiast
Speaking of the ps3 anybody upgrade the HDD on it. Any suggestions?
I upgraded my 20gig not to long ago its easy....you can use any 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm 2.5-inch SATA laptop HDD. I put in a 160gb seagate cost me I think like 70$....I recommend getting a usb thumbdrive and backing up your games first so you dont loose any saves...however you will still have to install games if they require you to ex. MGS4. Its easy just need a screwdriver just be carefull with the blue swrew to pull out the HDD and DONT strip it.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
When are we going to be able to stream Netflix in full HD?!?!

Sean
How about streaming Netflix at all??

Probably not in the near future... Sony is trying to use the PS3 as a distribution channel for its own movie studio, I doubt they will make a deal anytime soon.

shenaniganz

shenaniganz

Junior Audioholic
Yea I'm thinking I want to upgrade soon. I only have music,pics and 2 movies on it now but if I wait and get alot of stuff i'll have to buy two hdd. one for the back-up and the new one for the system. or am I missing something.

C

cl0316

Enthusiast
You dont need anything for backup a 250 or 500 gb HDD will do fine for everything....I only suggested a flash drive so that all of the info(game saves or whatever) that is on your old HDD will be put on the flash drive then once you swap HDD you can put your old info on the new one!!!! This way if your like in the middle of a fantasy season on MADDEN you can start where you left off instead of starting over Unless of course this does not matter to you.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Yeah, screw picture manager.

I want to play music from my HDD while playing a game! Like the 360 will let you do (as far as I know, I think it does).

D

Drag0nFly

Enthusiast
Still no X.264/H.264 codec support though. Also unsure if 2.60 improved on backward compatibility; as some games are having performance & freezing issues. (Yes, I still enjoy my PS2 games in-between GTAIV sessions. ;))

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Drag0nfly, I'm in the same boat. I have about 10 PS2 games and none of them can play properly on my PS3 (kinda bummed I gave away my PS2 when I bought the PS3 before testing it out. ) But I was assured all my games would play (yeah B.S. ) anyway I hope some new upgrade will allow me to play my beloved "Ratchet and Clank" series games.

BTW, I have the 80GB version and all my PS2 games suffere sever audio and video lag and extreme pixcellation. It's so bad I can't even play any of my games.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, screw picture manager.

I want to play music from my HDD while playing a game! Like the 360 will let you do (as far as I know, I think it does).
I hear ya!

I just wish you could put files in folders like ANY OTHER COMPUTER!!! I'm sick of seeing a HUGE list of music. Playlists are lame.

I upgraged to a 320 GB WD hard drive last weekend. Worked flawlessly. I was planning on doing the Yellow Dog Linus thing, until I saw that you have to do a complete hard drive re-format to do it. I was told that it takes about 2 hours for the 60 GB drive. How long will it take to do 320GB?!?!? :eek:

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I hear ya!

I just wish you could put files in folders like ANY OTHER COMPUTER!!! I'm sick of seeing a HUGE list of music. Playlists are lame.

I upgraged to a 320 GB WD hard drive last weekend. Worked flawlessly. I was planning on doing the Yellow Dog Linus thing, until I saw that you have to do a complete hard drive re-format to do it. I was told that it takes about 2 hours for the 60 GB drive. How long will it take to do 320GB?!?!? :eek:
320? That's it? :D :p

It didn't seem like it took me more than an hour on my 40GB when I was getting uBLOWNto on it.

But, now I have a 320GB and a 500GB external drive. That's just my externals. I got more on my network :eek:

D

Drag0nFly

Enthusiast
Drag0nfly, I'm in the same boat. I have about 10 PS2 games and none of them can play properly on my PS3 (kinda bummed I gave away my PS2 when I bought the PS3 before testing it out. ) But I was assured all my games would play (yeah B.S. ) anyway I hope some new upgrade will allow me to play my beloved "Ratchet and Clank" series games.

BTW, I have the 80GB version and all my PS2 games suffere sever audio and video lag and extreme pixcellation. It's so bad I can't even play any of my games.
Matt, I would report all these problems to Sony Customer Support. I've sent bugreports for the titles I've noticed problems with. They really ought to have a dedicated way to submit, but it seems all you can do is hope the support staff pass it along.

(I've gotten some bounces back referring to the game distributor, after which I had to explicitly state that the issue was with the firmware; which is maintained by Sony--or at least by Sony through some 3rd party!)

The PS3 should be more than capable to run every PS2 game at a acceptable speeds. Especially since it has part of the hardware included (Graphics Synthesizer)

D

Drag0nFly

Enthusiast
I hear ya!

I doubt it will take anywhere near that unless you do some kind of disk-wiping also. Even ext3 on a 1Tb disk takes around ~45 mins, but that is just due to the behavior of that particular file system (xfs and others are pretty much instantaneous, for instance)

But please note that Sony has chosen to restrict access to the RSX chip (the GPU) completely, so you will not get any "wow" factor out of the new installation as everything will be handled by the CPU. (No 3D optimizations, no ability to emulate newer games, and generally much, much slower performance than the PS3 is actually capable of delivering)

You can use part of the RSX _memory_ though for tmpfs, which does speed things up a bit (with the exception of graphics)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't need the abitlity to sort pictures in new ways because I don't put pics on my PS3. I need a way to sort music better. My solution is to keep it all on the external which allows you to put it into folders. The problem still persists that it doesn't know track order for an album, so that still sucks.

On my 60G, which has the Emotion chip, I have had only a few games that lagged so far, but I pretty much gave them up. Both PS2s aren't even hooked up anymore. I talked to a couple of IT people and they did not recommend WD drives. Some games don't care when you swap the drive, but others seem to not like it.

Yea I'm thinking I want to upgrade soon. I only have music,pics and 2 movies on it now but if I wait and get alot of stuff i'll have to buy two hdd. one for the back-up and the new one for the system. or am I missing something.
You cannot copy stored movies or games to an external drive, so I would not count on buying a lot of movies and plan on keeping them on the HDD unless you upgrade to a large drive.

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I doubt it will take anywhere near that unless you do some kind of disk-wiping also. Even ext3 on a 1Tb disk takes around ~45 mins, but that is just due to the behavior of that particular file system (xfs and others are pretty much instantaneous, for instance)

But please note that Sony has chosen to restrict access to the RSX chip (the GPU) completely, so you will not get any "wow" factor out of the new installation as everything will be handled by the CPU. (No 3D optimizations, no ability to emulate newer games, and generally much, much slower performance than the PS3 is actually capable of delivering)

You can use part of the RSX _memory_ though for tmpfs, which does speed things up a bit (with the exception of graphics)
Pretty much the only reason I wanted to put Linux on my PS 3 was to use Firefox. Sony's browser sucks!!! I've heard you can use the PS 3 as a DVR with Linux. But I'm not tech-savvy enough to want to deal with that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis