Electronics in a Bad Economy

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Happy New Year Audioholics! It’s a brand new year and with it comes new announcements from the tech industry. From Macworld to CES we’re in the midst of a bombardment of new cool stuff to buy. But this January finds us in the midst of one of the biggest economic slowdowns since the early 80s. Does a bleak economic outlook curtail your enthusiasm for the latest gadget?

Discuss "Electronics in a Bad Economy" here. Read the article.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Great article Wayde!
I hope this cyclical economic downturn encourages more downward pressure on prices.
Most MSRP's are ridiculous.

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
Happy New Year Audioholics! It’s a brand new year and with it comes new announcements from the tech industry. From Macworld to CES we’re in the midst of a bombardment of new cool stuff to buy. But this January finds us in the midst of one of the biggest economic slowdowns since the early 80s. Does a bleak economic outlook curtail your enthusiasm for the latest gadget?

Discuss "Electronics in a Bad Economy" here. Read the article.

no,this economy doesn't slow me down on "new" gadgets ,I rationalize spending $$$ on my HT by saying that it's cheaper and I will conserve more $$$ by staying home and watching dvd's here,etc,etc,

or at least don't you think that sounds good if I use that one on my wife ?

LOL :cool::D

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
no,this economy doesn't slow me down on "new" gadgets ,I rationalize spending $$$ on my HT by saying that it's cheaper and I will conserve more $$$ by staying home and watching dvd's here,etc,etc,

or at least don't you think that sounds good if I use that one on my wife ?

LOL :cool::D
Totally agree Tat-man. That's the idea that got me going here... Some stuff has long term economic benefits. Good (but not esoteric) home theater gear will pay for itself many times over. If you can turn renting a movie and staying home into an event that rivals going out and spending money at the movies and/or bar etc. I believe you've saved quite a bit of money in the long run.

As for a portable dancing dog/iPod radio... Not so much.

E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
There is a good side to the bad economy. I see used audio gear going for many times less than list price and some stuff is just a steal. Ive never bought a new peice of AV equipment. But the used market is filled with people that need money to pay the bills and wont mind letting a $2000 MSRP speaker go for $150.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I agree that there have been lots of dumb products, and lots of gadgets simply aren't neccessary.

But, a SmartPhone has been great for business. I can check my e-mail on the road, messaging is much easier with a QUERTY keyboard... finding an address or the weather using a phone is much easier than those outdated wastes called phone books or turning on the weather channel in a hotel and waiting for them to get to your area.

Why would anyone want to watch a movie on their knee? Obviously you don't travel much. If they have a movie at all, it sucks.

You'd rather use a map then a GPS?! That's rediculous. A GPS is a map, you don't need to put in a destination, my car has the entire US map on one disc. If I need to find a gas station, hotel, resturant, or a hidden address, its nice to be able to get instant directions. Pull over to view a map? That reminds me of when I was a kid and you'd see people swerving all over reading a map or putting their brakes on to pull over to read their mess of a map. Or a young girl makes a wrong turn and ends up in a bad area, what's she going to do, buy a map at the gas station? That's safe. :eek: I'm not saying maps aren't useful, but, saying a GPS isn't is crazy. Maybe if you travel the same places all the time it isn't, but then just don't buy it.

Also CES is dead this year, so, its already on that road.

M

mediaholic

Enthusiast
There is no question (in my opinion) that the economy will affect the average consumer, thus preventing them from buying such gadgets. I have a feeling from reading around this forum that the average consumer is in the minority on this forum.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
“Technology has become a necessity. It is not a luxury anymore…”
What a load of self serving industry drivel!!

Food is a necessity. No food, you die. I have gone 5 years without a cellphone and show no signs of imminent death. Now, if I were still in sales, I would have 'died' a thousand deaths of lost commisions, but thats another story.

The cable TV thing? 3 years, no cable. Not dead. In fact, I noticed a rather interesting thing: no consumer angst. Since I am no longer bombarded by a constant barrage of adds telling me I absolutely have to buy all these 'necessities' I have stopped worrying about all the stuff I don't have. I have lost my desire to constantly over consume. No Ipod doggies for me!

It would be nice if the recession reduced E-waste, but really, if phone companies provided cell phones that don't 'expire' after a year or two, we would have way less E-waste in any economy.

What drivel!!!

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Thanks for the comments Midnight.

But, a SmartPhone has been great for business. I can check my e-mail on the road...
The bit about Smartphones in the article was about teenagers using them.

I agree they're great for business and some people might have need for all the utilities, there's no denying it.

Why would anyone want to watch a movie on their knee? Obviously you don't travel much...

You'd rather use a map then a GPS?! That's rediculous.
I think you misunderstand. I'm not trying to say we need to do without electronics or that nobody should have them or trying to determine which is better a map or a GPS.

I am just saying that if you have limited budget we have to make decisions that we're going to do without some, it's a personal of choice. A study concluded that GPS systems and Smartphones are two of the first to go.

I'm not saying maps aren't useful, but, saying a GPS isn't is crazy.
I wish language had an efficient way to negate every possible misinterpretation of what you've written. Merely omitting what you didn't say is apparently not enough.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
It is the new Maslow's Hierachy

What a load of self serving industry drivel!!

Food is a necessity. No food, you die. I have gone 5 years without a cellphone and show no signs of imminent death. Now, if I were still in sales, I would have 'died' a thousand deaths of lost commisions, but thats another story.

The cable TV thing? 3 years, no cable. Not dead. In fact, I noticed a rather interesting thing: no consumer angst. Since I am no longer bombarded by a constant barrage of adds telling me I absolutely have to buy all these 'necessities' I have stopped worrying about all the stuff I don't have. I have lost my desire to constantly over consume. No Ipod doggies for me!

It would be nice if the recession reduced E-waste, but really, if phone companies provided cell phones that don't 'expire' after a year or two, we would have way less E-waste in any economy.

What drivel!!!
Is is the new Maslow's Hierachy, it depends on where you are in the current scale and what the next level step is for you. I think technology has added some addtionally smaller yet significant steps.

And they are achievable at many different budget levels through frugal purchases; equipment doe not always have to be new.

You have define what is important to you and set goals. Once that goal is achieved you set goals for a higher level and so forth! If your are not at the technology level, then obviously that is not an important goal for you.

Too eac his own, but my glass is half-full through rose colored glasses and technology is my goal :cool:

Take Care and may you future goals be fullfilled!

MidCow2

P.S.- I still haven't gone the iPod route either :D

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I think everyone will think twice before making a purchase of any kind. Very few people have bullet proof employement. Many people are concerned whether or not they will still be employeed by the end of the year. This affects your purchasing decisions. I go from want to have to have to have.

And, there is very little I have to have.

I have been looking for a good deal on a 3930CI but it will have to wait. I have also been eyeing a 50" Panasonic Plasma but it too will have to wait. I was looking at buying my first iPod. I wanted to hook it up to my new car stereo system. This too will have to wait. I can think of several other things that I would have bought but I am now putting on the back burner.

If everyone does the same thing, it is going to be a very difficult year for everyone.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Is is the new Maslow's Hierachy
I understand what you are trying to say, but I disagree with the use of the word necessity in the context of the article.

It is the incessant use of the 'need argument' by corporate America to convince us that what they offer is what we need as opposed to want that has created a hyper consumerist debt laden society.

I doubt very much that anything at CES falls into the need catagory and certainly nothing there will push me up higher on Mazlow's heirarchy.

That is not to say that I don't think people should own all these fine things, just don't peddle them as necessities unless the situation actually warrants (like a salesman and his cellphone).

I'll stop ranting and drag my knuckles back to my cave now. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis