NAD Upgrades Recievers/Processors

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
NAD Electronics introduced upgraded HD versions of the T 785, T 775, T765 AV Receivers and the T 175 AV Tuner Preamp-Processor. Additionally, NAD premieres Modular Design Construction (MDC) in the new Masters Series M15HD AV Preamp-Processor. We'd like to formally welcome NAD to the 21st century. New features include dual 32-bit Aureus 7.1 high-speed digital signal processors (DSPs) by Texas Instruments, Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume by Audyssey; decoding for several advanced audio formats, including Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD Master Audio; and Sigma Designs’ VXP broadcast studio quality image processor.

Discuss "NAD Upgrades Recievers/Processors" here. Read the article.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Pricey compared to other offerings

Well it seems as though that NAD has finally caught up to their competition, feature wise. Now they just have to lower the pricing about 40% and they will be able to go head to head. I'm not bashing them but it appears that the pricing tier was done during the era of $150 barrel of oil. It may benefit NAD to rethink that pricing scheme and adjust acordingly, to the world economy of recent.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Well it seems as though that NAD has finally caught up to their competition, feature wise. Now they just have to lower the pricing about 40% and they will be able to go head to head. I'm not bashing them but it appears that the pricing tier was done during the era of $150 barrel of oil. It may benefit NAD to rethink that pricing scheme and adjust acordingly, to the world economy of recent.
I have to agree. Cambridge Audio also has a BD player and new receiver coming out. Combined, they're going to sell for $2k. A UMC-1, XPA-5 (or UPA-7), and Panasonic BD35 easily trumps the new receivers from NAD and Cambridge Audio and for less money. They really need to get with the times.

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
thx certified receivers and reality

Not a fun thing to realize is your receiver maybe 7.1 thx certified like mine blows your living room too shreads,bullits recochet bye your head and finnaly decide to play a cd and yuck it sounds sharp,and rather irratating and simply isnt as marvelous as it should be at all!!!!!

OK thats the reality with the nad receivers,they do play music very beautifully!
My old 2007 120watts x7 ch didnt cut it,i ordered the nadt765 online factory reconditioned with warranty with recept from a nad authorized dealer!
My old $500 unit boxed away and yes a pricey $1000 unit is the nad that does everything well,i let my ps3 and pana plasma do the video end!!

I am using the infinity beta 50s/20s and the music really came to life,the sub really surprized me how musical it was,the whole sound was warm and not thin or sharp but more of a tube amp sound,amazing!!! a little pricey but not for music,its the most important thing too me!!! theater sound is easily done!!

denon thin sounding,marantz better but the music bussness isnt there either,ive search hi,lo for a music player amp,again nad has it,rotel,adcom,arcam there not cheap huh!

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Counterpoint.

^ Hi Jams & Welcome to the club.

Are you using the analog or digital inputs of your receiver(s)?

Do you have two rooms in your house?
If so, you can get a nice Marantz SR5002 or SR6001 (both $350, each) for your home theater room,
and a very nice sounding integrated amp for music listening in your second room; about $200 on the used market.

I'm sure that a NAD receiver sounds very good; but I heard so many stories of broken units that are quite unreliable! And of course, they are overpriced on top of that!
So, is that make it a plus?

Bob

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
^ Hi Jams & Welcome to the club.

Are you using the analog or digital inputs of your receiver(s)?

Do you have two rooms in your house?
If so, you can get a nice Marantz SR5002 or SR6001 (both $350, each) for your home theater room,
and a very nice sounding integrated amp for music listening in your second room; about $200 on the used market.

I'm sure that a NAD receiver sounds very good; but I heard so many stories of broken units that are quite unreliable! And of course, they are overpriced on top of that!
So, is that make it a plus?

Bob
Hiya Bob. Seems to me that Onkyo has had its fair share of problems too judging by the threads here, :eek: ;). Unfortunaltey NAD is more expensive but in their defense, they are one of the few receiver companies that you can hook a low impedance load too and not have to worry about burning it out or tripping the protection circuits. They will do 4 ohms loads and quiarantee it. Yamaha, Denon, Rotel, recommend against using 4 ohms loads.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Nad is good, but is not thee best overall, who is anyway?

Hiya Bob. Seems to me that Onkyo has had its fair share of problems too judging by the threads here, :eek: ;). Unfortunaltey NAD is more expensive but in their defense, they are one of the few receiver companies that you can hook a low impedance load too and not have to worry about burning it out or tripping the protection circuits. They will do 4 ohms loads and quiarantee it. Yamaha, Denon, Rotel, recommend against using 4 ohms loads.
Good morning 3db,

Everyone has problems. If you know someone that doesn't, let me know. ;)

Personally, I prefer Rotel. Their power amplifiers are solid and have better resolution than NAD. NAD has good bottom low end, but lack the fine resolution of Rotel.
And I never had any problems running my speakers (4-ohm loads) with my Yamaha (RX-V2092), Denon (AVR-3805) and Onkyo (TX-SR876 & TX-SR805) receivers.

That's my opinion from my own experience.

Regards,

Bob

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Good morning 3db,

Personally, I prefer Rotel. Their power amplifiers are solid and have better resolution than NAD. NAD has good bottom low end, but lack the fine resolution of Rotel.
And I never had any problems running my speakers (4-ohm loads) with my Yamaha (RX-V2092), Denon (AVR-3805) and Onkyo (TX-SR876 & TX-SR805) receivers.

Regards,

Bob
No problems with my Yammy RX-v1800. Purring like a kitten :D For now.
I did have to reboot it once though after thoroughly fat fingering the settting and not being able to get video passed to the tV from teh DVD player via the receivver. That was my fault though. *L*

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hey, even my old Pioneer VSX-9300s A/V Surround Receiver can drive my difficult 4-ohm loudspeakers. :D
And no reset necessary on this baby. ;)

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
Nad T765

Hi, i am using sonicwave optical cables for the ps3 blueray dvd,and motorola dvr from cox cable!
How there able too get 280 strands of glass in a 1/4" cable beats me??
But ive read the poly plastic optical cables haze over time?
The pc headphone out converted to rca goes into the L&R pre-amp in jacks,sounds v/good on 128kbps radio stations from 365live free enternet radio!
Dont no of any reliability problems but most receiver problems ive heard about are hmdi issues,humming,popping sounds,clicking and unresolved issues putting video thur hmdi,so all the really pesky things are the great hmdi copy right save guard stuff!
I have a oppo dvd player that has a dvi converted too hmdi which gets around the problems there,out of region disc,basically any cd,dvd will play on the thing!
A dvi allows hmdi protocal to not be installed on player software!
I belive in video units doing video and audio doing audio not both!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey, even my old Pioneer VSX-9300s A/V Surround Receiver can drive my difficult 4-ohm loudspeakers. :D
And no reset necessary on this baby. ;)
How about a 2ohm? huh huh huh? oh yeah yeah..wanna piece of the NAD do ya?!!! HUH HUH HUH? :D

P

pearsall001

Full Audioholic
NAD has their new MDC (Modular Design Concept) modules coming out shortly. These modules will "future proof" your AVR as technology evolves. This of course remains to be seen, but the whole concept is very sound & makes all the sense in the world.

You'll be able to pick & choose a module that fits the upgrade path that suits your needs. No need to buy another whole unit. I'm looking forward to it.

I believe NAD is the first with this concept (correct me if I'm wrong) and shows their level of design detail that shows a commitment to the way they approach the future of the industry. Technology changes at a rapid pace & hopefully their MDC modules will keep pace.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Good morning 3db,

Regards,

Bob
Oh come on!

Can you explain, in less vague terms, how "Their power amplifiers are solid and have better resolution than NAD. NAD has good bottom low end, but lack the fine resolution of Rotel."

When it comes to SQ, I don't think NAD takes a back seat to any other manufacturer. That said, I don't believe they are superior to Rotel, or any other reputable manufacturer. Why? Because any modern competently constructed AVR or amplifier will sound the same, when operated within its power limits. And I don't think anyone can argue that NAD products are underpowered!

As you can probably tell, I'm a NAD fan - the 2-channel stuff at least.

I'll agree that their AVRs have tended to be feature poor in the past. Plus, they are wayyyy overpriced. But, their philosophy has always been SQ first. So, they don't try to pull the wool over anybody's eyes as to video performance. So, for somebody whose main priority is multi-channel sound, they couldn't go wrong.

If I have a gripe about NAD, it's the pricing of their products. I'm glad I bought my C-372 when I did. The replacement (C-375) costs about 75% more! Unacceptable! They used to be reasonably priced, but that's gone now. As much as I like their stuff, I couldn't justify the new asking prices.

If they've ever had any quality-control problems (not in my experience!), that could be a criticism. Plus, they are now too expensive. But puh-leeasse,:rolleyes: don't give me any nonsense about SQ!

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
Oh come on!

Can you explain, in less vague terms, how "Their power amplifiers are solid and have better resolution than NAD. NAD has good bottom low end, but lack the fine resolution of Rotel."

When it comes to SQ, I don't think NAD takes a back seat to any other manufacturer. That said, I don't believe they are superior to Rotel, or any other reputable manufacturer. Why? Because any modern competently constructed AVR or amplifier will sound the same, when operated within its power limits. And I don't think anyone can argue that NAD products are underpowered!

As you can probably tell, I'm a NAD fan - the 2-channel stuff at least.

I'll agree that their AVRs have tended to be feature poor in the past. Plus, they are wayyyy overpriced. But, their philosophy has always been SQ first. So, they don't try to pull the wool over anybody's eyes as to video performance. So, for somebody whose main priority is multi-channel sound, they couldn't go wrong.

If I have a gripe about NAD, it's the pricing of their products. I'm glad I bought my C-372 when I did. The replacement (C-375) costs about 75% more! Unacceptable! They used to be reasonably priced, but that's gone now. As much as I like their stuff, I couldn't justify the new asking prices.

If they've ever had any quality-control problems (not in my experience!), that could be a criticism. Plus, they are now too expensive. But puh-leeasse,:rolleyes: don't give me any nonsense about SQ!
Nothing wrong with NAD power , its always been good , Rotel is in about the same class of power . I owned NAD 2155 and 3155 ( both bridged ) many years ago , very nice power . Upgraded to Bryston after that ;o))

H

hugosnel

Audiophyte
Nothing wrong with NAD power , its always been good , Rotel is in about the same class of power . I owned NAD 2155 and 3155 ( both bridged ) many years ago , very nice power . Upgraded to Bryston after that ;o))
Hi , I have the same combination here.
can you tell me exactly how to do the bridging?
I have seen some info on the web but it is not very clear how to set it up..
TIA
Hugo

Last edited:
D

DougC

Audiophyte
I have a NAD PE 7175 and, in it's day, it was noted for it's high peak power. Although rated 75W per channel, I have measured it to deliver over 200W per channel on peaks. Don't know if the newer NAD receivers are as good, though.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
NAD has their new MDC (Modular Design Concept) modules coming out shortly. These modules will "future proof" your AVR as technology evolves. This of course remains to be seen, but the whole concept is very sound & makes all the sense in the world.

You'll be able to pick & choose a module that fits the upgrade path that suits your needs. No need to buy another whole unit. I'm looking forward to it.

I believe NAD is the first with this concept (correct me if I'm wrong) and shows their level of design detail that shows a commitment to the way they approach the future of the industry. Technology changes at a rapid pace & hopefully their MDC modules will keep pace.
You must have missed the Onkyo TX-NR1000... that turned out badly.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hi , I have the same combination here.
can you tell me exactly how to do the bridging?
I have seen some info on the web but it is not very clear how to set it up..
TIA
Hugo
Hi Hugo,

If you still have your manual, it should be well explained in it.
If not, just download it.
Do you really need that extra power?

* By the way, welcome to the club. :)

Cheers,

Bob

P

pearsall001

Full Audioholic
You must have missed the Onkyo TX-NR1000... that turned out badly.
Different company...apples to oranges comparison. Hopefully NAD did their design homework & the modules are up to the task. Time will tell!

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I don't believe too much in these approaches any more. Not in the times we are living now, with constant changes and new technologies. DSP chips have to be replaced constantly, new circuits need to be rebuilt to accomodate new audio codecs and video chips. I'ts just too much development happening nowadays. It's much easier to replace the entire unit by a brand new one, than trying to squeeze as much as you can in the older one. It might work for a few years, but not more than that.
Anyone know someone using an home audio/video component that is five years old, with all the latest new high tech features?

For me, it's more a marketing plot from NAD.
* Look at Lexicon and Anthem... and Onkyo Integra, and several other companies.

That's my 0.02 cents, for what it's worth.

Bob

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis