Blockbuster Finally Launches MediaPoint Movie Box

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The twenty-first century welcomes Blockbuster Inc. and its Internet set-top-box dubbed MediaPoint. The box will go head-to-head with others of its ilk by competitors like Netflix and Apple proving that the ailing company still contains signs of life.

Discuss "Blockbuster Finally Launches MediaPoint Movie Box" here. Read the article.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
The rank and file here at Audioholix have shown very little interest in on demand streaming of movie content. I thought people would be interested when I bought a Samsung BluRay player that streamed Netflix and Pandora. Many on these forums are interested in owning their video titles. I have that view on music, but video is a different beast, at least for me, and I have no desire to own movie content. I now have the best of all worlds. I have Netflix delivering Blu ray in the mail, and streaming content via Ethernet.......sure the quality isn't hd but it is fine for casual watching.............I get blockbuster in the mail, and can go half a block to the store to take the mailed copy and exchange it for another title. Streaming content to my HT is a much better way to rent movies, and it is much greener, as well. All this and the two subscriptions cost me less than $20 a month?! I am more than happy with the state of the union in video land...

Wade, a well written article as usual, but it seemed a bit condescending of Blockbuster and "ilk" of that nature. They might be slow to adapt, which is why the Titanic couldn't swerve to miss the iceberg- it takes time for big things to change course. Blockbuster and Netflix (coupled with my ht rig!) have allowed me to bring the movie experience into my home, and I appreciate that.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Good read, but I hate blockbuster. I could care less if they went out of buisness. They have had a stranglehold on the rental buisness for ever and I personally will be glad when they fold up and die.$4.99 for a movie rental???:eek: Get Bent blockbuster. Sorry for the bad attitude but I like seeing the big guy go down.....

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Well written article and well written response - the analogy of the Titanic is by far one of the best comparisons I've seen regarding Blockbuster. I wholeheartedly agree, I believe this is a case of "too little, too late" - had they been quicker to adapt, they might have more of a competitive edge on this market (and might even have the HD titles that appear to be lacking in this early version). Still, I believe eventually the concept of "hard-copy" media will be rendered obsolete, and we will enjoy streaming all of our favorite movies, shows and music right across the wire into our homes. The thing I'm not sure of is if it is being pushed by the industry or if the industry is desperately attempting to follow the trend. :eek:

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
In the realm of corporations I dislike, I certainly wouldn't put Blockbuster up there, Jamie. I kind of lump them in the Starbucks and Walgreens class. Sure they saturate the market and maybe overcharge, but they're not running oil tankers aground, or manipulating energy markets in California, or dumping the economy in the toilet for sheer greed through snake oil home loans.
As for paying $3.99 for a movie rental...........gosh, that's if you don't get on a plan. I have one at a time unlimited for like $10 a month so I pay a couple of dollars a movie at Blockbuster which is half a block away. I am happy with the service they provide.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
..it seemed a bit condescending of Blockbuster and "ilk" of that nature.
Thanks for the thoughtful responses David. I think I might have been a bit condescending of Blockbuster but I do use the service, I have a discount club-card. So, I don’t bear an outright hatred/boycott grudge. It serves a purpose but it's been falling since about '02, I mean, you should look at the company's stock. I have never appreciated its hand in passing off pan-and-scan as a legitimate DVD version of any film and I resent its past control over studios practically abolishing NC-17 as an option. However, that’s not Blockbuster’s fault. It’s more symptomatic of a desperate industry.

Blockbuster's decline from near-monopoly to just another player in the movie options game is fair evidence of the rise of streaming and/or downloaded video. I think it's fair, I love the idea of more options and will never begrudge streaming or downloading.

But for me... I love owning the movie. I love caressing a box-set as I crack it open, and if it has some cheesy feature like Band of Brother's metallic 'ammo box' the more I like it. I own more Blu-ray discs than I ought to. But what can I say, I'm happily addicted. I love the sound/video quality on my home system. Downloading or streamed media would be a compromise.

Before anyone argues that last point... I know it's possible for downloaded media to be every bit as good as disc media. I'm skeptical of how practical it is, for now. I don't know where I can consistently obtain recent, high quality movies with multi-channel lossless audio tracks and near-perfect 1080P video. Maybe someday, but not yet.

I'm still confused why everyone gets lumped together. There seem, to me, to be two distinct camps: those who run a fee-based unlimited download service (Netflix), and those who charge for each download (nearly everyone else).

Now everything else comes underneath that - and there are quite a few things: HD vs SD, new release vs. old release, movie selection, download fully before viewing vs. instant streaming, quality, etc...

But so far, I don't consider anyone "direct" competition to Netflix until they present options for a set monthly fee with unlimited rentals. I WANT competition, so I am waiting for the chips to fall...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Well written article and well written response - the analogy of the Titanic is by far one of the best comparisons I've seen regarding Blockbuster. I wholeheartedly agree, I believe this is a case of "too little, too late" - had they been quicker to adapt, they might have more of a competitive edge on this market (and might even have the HD titles that appear to be lacking in this early version). Still, I believe eventually the concept of "hard-copy" media will be rendered obsolete, and we will enjoy streaming all of our favorite movies, shows and music right across the wire into our homes. The thing I'm not sure of is if it is being pushed by the industry or if the industry is desperately attempting to follow the trend. :eek:
That can't happen until internet over here speeds up a bit, and is more reliable.

SheepStar

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
That can't happen until internet over here speeds up a bit, and is more reliable.

SheepStar
It's probably safe to hold your breath - remember, only 10 years ago, most everyone was still using dial-up, and a few years before that, hardly anyone even had internet. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis