Denon Partners with Batman in Blu-ray Offer

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Every new blockbuster that arrives to Blu-ray brings talk of this being the big one that catapults Blu-ray into the mainstream. Batman: Dark Knight is probably going to burn the doors off any Blu-ray release before it. But is it enough to sell a high-end Denon Blu-ray player?

Discuss "Denon Partners with Batman in Blu-ray Offer" here. Read the article.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
That is about the dumbest thing I ever heard! Do the people who come up with these ideas have a slightest bit of clue on consumer spending habits?

Hmm, let me see, why don't I spend $700 on a player to get a highly anticipated movie and when the movie is released, everyone and their mom are watching it while you wait months to get it - in the end forcing you to buy the copy anyway. :rolleyes:

How about you cut a deal with Warner to pack in Dark Knight early in Denon players before the general public gets it - or better yet, release a special edition package or extra that isn't available in stores. That at least creates a buzz around the player for a bit.

Last edited:
Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think it's a great idea from a marketing standpoint, remember people like to get things for free. And for some a free disc might be just enough to help them decide between the Denon player and someone elses. I think where they messed up with this idea is buy not bundling the discs together like PS3's and XBOX's do. They could have offered a mail in for people who buy their players before the Batman release date or before the bundled package hits the stores.

With BD player prices dropping to more affordable ranges, companies like Denon that offer high priced players are going to need to do gimmicky promos to nudge sales away from PS3 and other capable and more affordable players.

Jack

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like Denon a lot, but I also think that is one dumb idea.

Most of us have already seen "Dark Knight" once in theaters. But when that BD is released, I'm sure all of us will still want it on the very first day.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Hmm, let me see, why don't I spend $700 on a player to get a highly anticipated movie and when the movie is released, everyone and their mom are watching it while you wait months to get it - in the end forcing you to buy the copy anyway. :rolleyes:

How about you cut a deal with Warner to pack in Dark Knight early in Denon players before the general public gets it - or better yet, release a special edition package or extra that isn't available in stores. That at least creates a buzz around the player for a bit.
Exactly what I was thinking! The giveaway thing while you wait months is so fluky. In fact I never did get my five-free HD DVD discs for buying my first HD DVD player. It was a wasted stamp as far as I'm concerned.

How about a coupon that lets you pick-up your copy at stores the days it's released. Doesn't Denon build players for Best Buy?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You mean if I buy this Blu-ray player here I will get both Batman movies on Blu-ray for free?

Let me do the math on this. Assume when Batman comes out it's $30 (it'll probably be $25 for that edition though). And assume the Batman Begins is $20. You could spend $582.14 from amazon (free shipping) and get the player delivered to your home. Then submit your voucher for the two "free" movies.

Or.......

You could by the same Funai Blu-ray player at Wal-Mart for $198+50+tax which would be approximately $270, about $42 less than half of the price of the Denon (mass produced Funai that says "Denon" on it).

Granted that really doesn't have much to do with the promotion specifically, but it's still pretty stupid. If you intended to buy one of the upper model Denons anyway it's not so stupid.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis