Trinnov EQ on the Sherwood Newcastle R-972 Receiver

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
One of the most exciting new technologies exhibited at this year's SOTU event was a live demonstration of the upcoming Sherwood Newcastle R-972 receiver featuring a built in Trinnov Optimizer room EQ system. But could too much emphasis on a new technology be a gamble for Sherwood?

Discuss "Trinnov EQ on the Sherwood Newcastle R-972 Receiver" here. Read the article.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
So does this come with both Audyssey and Trinnov? The spec list has Audyssey MultiEQ XT is that a typo?

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
So does this come with both Audyssey and Trinnov? The spec list has Audyssey MultiEQ XT is that a typo?
Typeo, it doesn't come with Audyssey. Sorry about that. Trinnov only!

I was writing tired, the journey home was a real Odyssey. :)

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Wayde,

one question though:

on the Sherwood Highlights, it says that the 972 converts HDMI video into analog... It that correct? Wouldn't it be the opposite??

Regards, Chuck

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Wayde,

one question though:

on the Sherwood Highlights, it says that the 972 converts HDMI video into analog... It that correct? Wouldn't it be the opposite??

Regards, Chuck
Thanks for the catch. You're right. There is no down-conversion performed by the unit. It's a digital world, I'm just trying to live in it.:)

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Wayde

I really liked your article. It's good to get some details behind any given tech hype. And Trinnov is indeed a tech hype. It's sure stirred up some excitement in me.

A

analog2digital

Audiophyte
Audyssey v. Trinnov - anyone

I would really like to know about a comparison of Trinnov (that part which will be in pre-pros) v Audyssey in prepros.
Don't know if possiblem as the prepro will be in the loop.

Anyone having knowledge of the actual sound difference, please post. Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I thought the biggest advantage of the Trinov was that you can set it to EQ below 300 Hz only. I found both Audyssey and Trinov to make a mess of things above that.

I thought the HSU speakers good value for money. As long as you keep the volume moderate they have a pleasing balance. Unfortunately they have horn tweeters, and horns get into trouble when you push them and that was evident in these speakers.

S

Steve.

Enthusiast
Don't hold your breath, their demo/preproduction unit exhibited buggy behavior. SN is saying Jan 09 at the earliest which really means "sometime before 2011" in SN speak.

A

analog2digital

Audiophyte
Questions about your post

1. To which do you refer to as "theirs"
2. Being new to this forum (me) please define "SN"

I'm a relative newbie at this forum. Thanks.
:)

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Sherwood

The Shrerwood system is far superior to any system out there.....I am selling my Yamaha system to upgrade.....an example of superior technology coming from obscure places and eclipsing the sleeping competition....they are the Hyundai of the audio world now.....their 965 receiver was better than Denon and Yamaha at half the price.....this is their break through product....

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you go and look at the Benchtests for the R-965 they are very impressive to say the least. I've always liked Sherwood since I was aware of it's existance.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Sherwood

.....an you could get huge discounts on Sherwood Newcastle a few years back...looking for new sources myself.....

highfigh

highfigh

If you go and look at the Benchtests for the R-965 they are very impressive to say the least. I've always liked Sherwood since I was aware of it's existance.
Is there any information about Sherwood's reliability?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Is there any information about Sherwood's reliability?
Benchtests don't really show "reliability". They don't have refurbished receiver's littering eBay like some other companies do, maybe that means something.;)

I've personally owned two renditions of Sherwood receivers, both went passed my expectations for a NIB price and I never had any problems with either of them.

highfigh

highfigh

Benchtests don't really show "reliability". They don't have refurbished receiver's littering eBay like some other companies do, maybe that means something.;)

I've personally owned two renditions of Sherwood receivers, both went passed my expectations for a NIB price and I never had any problems with either of them.
I'm aware that a bench test won't indicate reliability- I'm asking for any/all info on anything that could bite me post-sale. I was around for the original Sherwood equipment, their absence and then the re-introduction of the stuff that brought their name back, but I don't remember who was making it at the time- I think Korean. I just have no hands-on with anything recent and since I can buy it for resale, it may be a viable option. I have customers who still use the equipment they bought from me 20-30 years ago and don't intend to start selling based only on price. I want bulletproof and if something that has been one of my mainstays becomes a problem, I have to drop it.

I have sold a lot of refurbed Sony and have even bought some for my own use when I worked at a Sony dealer. Generally, I didn't have a problem since they were pretty good about making sure it would work, at the time. I haven't bought any lately but still have two pieces in my system now. As in anything else I have seen/sold, a good portion of the "refurbed" equipment only needed to be checked out and not repaired because of the extremely liberal return policies that exist. Someone doesn't read the manual, finds that their purchase "doesn't work" and returns it. The replacement doesn't work, either and now the dealer has two pieces that were "DOA", but are perfectly fine. It's not always the case and have seen several pieces that were definitely DOA or nearly immediate failures, but they have been rare.

If anyone knows of honest reviews on their gear, I would appreciate a link.

Thanks.

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
Trinnov technology gamble for Sherwood Newcastle

If by "gamble" you mean throwing the dice and praying...then no..it's not good. If by "gamble" you mean providing leading-edge technology that has already been field tested in a $13,000 system and providing it at a $500 premium for their existing line of AV receivers, then yes, by all means, go for it! In business/marketing terms, it's called having a "competetive advantage" and just like the Reon chip in the Onkyo receivers it will make buyers hungry to upgrade their systems consider Sherwood Newcastle (at least in the R-972 version), a relative underdog to Denon, Onkyo, Sony, Pioneer, and Yamaha as things stand.

Video upscaling via receiver is more controversial since there are so many good upscaling DVD players, but room EQ is a hot topic and most HT's would benefit. Compared to the full cost of the Trinnov stand-alone system or remodling your HT acoustically, $500 premium (less at street price?) is a VERY reasonable cost to pay - if the resulting listening experience is perceived as a definite improvement over Audyssey etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis