New Research Shows Sound Helps Primates See

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Traditional neurological models of auditory, tactile and visual sensory input processing by the brain are hierarchal, based on separate input channels from sensory receptors for each mode to each of the primary sensory cortices and that the various inputs are not integrated into polymodality until the signal reaches higher areas of cognitive activity such as the frontal, temporal and parietal lobes.

New research reported on Live Science may change traditional neurological understanding of how humans and other primates perceive and process sensory input.

Discuss "New Research Shows Sound Helps Primates See" here. Read the article.

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
Editor's Note: Of course this is akin to saying that if you're in a dim room and looking for your keys, you'll be aided a bit more if they emit a tone. Congratulations to Captain Obvious and his team for another apparent waste of grant money to fund what appears to be very unnecessary research.
This is what I'm thinking... what's new?

I couldn't resist adding that Ed. note to David's article... Your tax dollars hard at work!

In other news: Lightbulbs aid in reducing late night toe stubbings!

DavidW

DavidW

Audioholics Contributing Writer
This is what I'm thinking... what's new?
The ovelying premise may seem obvious, but what was more important to realize is that the research shows evidence crossconnection of sensory processing in parts of the brain that were previously believed to be isolated.

Direct connection between the audio and visual cortex that was not thought to occur, and proof that the visual cortex does process audio information.

Yes, sound and vision are interrelated in the brain, but previously it was believed to not occur until regions of higher brain function, not at the level of basic sensory input.

David

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I couldn't resist adding that Ed. note to David's article... Your tax dollars hard at work!

In other news: Lightbulbs aid in reducing late night toe stubbings!
Except this research is looking at how and when these interactions take place in the brain. This sort of research into the complexities of perception help us understand how the brain processes complex information, and is the sort of information that proves useful in artificial intelligence and robotics applications, for example, as well as understanding how people compensate for and recover from damage to sensory systems (see end of article).

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
I guess I was swayed by the title and the Ed remark :D

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
NEWS FLASH:
AP 10/13/2180:

Advancing research may suggest that people who stay alive may live longer than dead people. This research also helped create a new theory that bystanders repeatedly kicking a defunct equine have succeded in kicking a dead horse repeatedly :D :D :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis