Big Brother Jobs Confirms that Apple can Remotely Control What is on your iPhone

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Word around the Internet last week that a software developer had discovered what amounted to a kill switch buried in the new iPhone 3G firmware has now been confirmed by Steve Jobs. Steve Jobs has now confirmed to The Wall Street Journal that the capability does indeed exist in the new iPhone, but it is benevolent, as he is benevolent. Jobs what ifs bad, malicious software accidentally getting through Apple’s screening for its Apps store, like what if someone writes code to steal personal information from the iPhone. This will allow Apple to cleanse the iPhone of such evils.

Discuss "Big Brother Jobs Confirms that Apple can Remotely Control What is on your iPhone" here. Read the article.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the article. I am not surprised at all given Apple's history of control, as stated in the article. I am a little uncomfortable with the idea. Why did Apple "open up" the code for the iphone to developers if it was going to tie their hands? I think it's because they want a piece of every pie by selling these developments done by others with no help from Apple on itunes.
I plan to get one of these phones and probably still will as I have no intention of exploiting anything on it however I still don't like the idea of what they "can" do.
Pat

F

fredk

Audioholic General
The kill switch is easily circumvented by flip of the plain old fashioned no-buy switch. ;)

Apple does cool stuff, but at a steep price and with wacked out restrictions.

snappy_snoopy

snappy_snoopy

Audioholic
The kill switch is easily circumvented by flip of the plain old fashioned no-buy switch. ;)

Apple does cool stuff, but at a steep price and with wacked out restrictions.
So true, the i phone is easily the most epxnesive phone to have in new zealand, and our news reporters where asking the hard questions about why is so expensive the day befrore it was released and hardly any one even bought one lol

Thaedium

Thaedium

Audioholic
I'm kinda surprised theres not more buzz about the new Android phone comming out in September (T-mobile/HTC/Google all in one little package). For those feeling squeezed by Apple tyrants, Android is looking great. I haven't been excited about a phone since I got rid of my hand-me-down rotary for my very first apartment. But if I was to pick a phone to be excited about, it would be the Android. And hey, I'm a fan of google maps, whats more cool then being downtown in an unfamiliar city, popping open your phone, and find an overhead of where your at, and then navigating to where you need to go? That woulda been great back when I got ridiculously drunk in England back in 2005 and ended up two or three towns north and 8 hours AWOL of where I was supposed to be.

For those not familiar with Android, have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dynzVHt6ocw&feature=related
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arXolJrLVEg&feature=related

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Whew. Talk about being behind. I still don't use a cell phone and really have no intention to start. I hate what Apple has done and it would prevent me from buying the product if I were a cell phone user.

W

wooster

Audiophyte
Not the whole iPhone! Just applications!!!

"Finally, Jobs confirms the ability to remotely disable an application:"

They can disable a third-party application not the whole phone - please get the facts before starting the bashing...

On the contrary I as a mail-server admin can remote wipe the complete iPhone (or a P990, N91 or a BB for that matter) with my administration tools if the phone in question is connected with Active Sync to my server. Why? For security if the phone gets stolen.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Why does it matter if you aren't on AT&T?

Who has a phone on a network that doesn't have the ability to completely disable their phone by turning off the lines?

How many people have home phones that don't work when the phone company turns off service?

Sorry, a focus on any specific company for following the trends and actions as has been established throughout the industry since the start of time and 'calling them' on it, seems silly and petty.

My iPhone won't work at all... I have Verizon.

But, the second Apple releases the iPhone on a network I can use, I'm all over it. There is not a single person that I've met who owns an iPhone who has been anything less than completely thrilled with it.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I bought the 3G and I love this phone... I could really care less about Apple having their finger on the trigger for apps, I have all the stuff running on it that I need, I don't really need anything all that complex so far what they offer for free and are selling at the app store has been great. I have yet to find something that I wanted to purchase from there, but maybe in the future I will.

I think they put in that capability for people that are hacking the phone, but once that hacking it becomes more stable for this new release I will more then likely do it so I can customize it a bit further...

I had been waiting for a long time for a product that had the type of ability and seamless integration that it does for me and what I need from it. Instant access to Email, un-restricted Internet, GPS, Ipod, camera, Calendar/scheduler, extensive contact list, bluetooth.... it is really an all in 1 tool for me that has become a priceless tool in my day to day tasks.

Does it have limitations... sure, but nothing I can't live without....

Want to talk about control.... my last phone had internet access, but it was their browser, and you could only access info the way the carrier laid it out for you... I couldn't handle that anymore, and it got to a point that I hardly ever used it...

I wouldn't give this thing up for anything else out there, and I don't think anything comes close right now... will that change in the future, sure but for now the Iphone got it right and it will only drive other products to step up to the plate to achieve something better...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That woulda been great back when I got ridiculously drunk in England back in 2005 and ended up two or three towns north and 8 hours AWOL of where I was supposed to be.
Ha, ha! Thanks for the laugh! Hee, hee...still chuckling. :D

BTW, I don't think that you would have been able to use, or understand, the iPhone if you were that drunk. ;)

J

jamie2112

Banned
I have heard no bad reports from any of the people I know that have the Iphone. Everyone seems to really love it. I myself do not like AT&T and when Apple makes the Iphone available for verizon then I will buy one.....I am a total self confessed Mac junkie as well and I don't know what I would do without my Macbook........:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis