Krell Introduces $4000 Worth of iPod Overkill

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Krell Industries, long known for manufacturing monstrously (can we say that without getting sued?) large power amplifiers and audiophile electronics has jumped on the iPod bandwagon with the introduction of the $2500 Papa Dock power amplifier to compliment their $1500 Kid Dock iPod dock. Shouldn’t $4000 buy at least one auxiliary input, like for a turntable or something?

Discuss "Krell Introduces $4000 Worth of iPod Overkill" here. Read the article.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
LOL, it did a barrel roll.:D

I can completely see the advantage of having separated circuits for each channel of output. This balances out the closeness produced by the iPod, at least in regards to sound. Think about it, the iPod is very small meaning the internal left and right output channels are very near one another. It's readily apparent this is the case when you just look at the dock connection (which thankfully uses gold plated connectors for the best transfer quality). With all that in mind you would have to put each channel of the amp as far from the other without making the thing look horribly ugly. Not even Bose could achieve such caveats.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I also enjoyed the barrel roll. It reminded me of the alien fighters in Independence Day.

I gotta say, that Krell really makes me wish that I had $4000. Oh, I don't want the Krell. I just wish that I had $4000. :)

J

jamie2112

Banned
Wow Overkill is an understatement :eek: I guess that's aimed at "true audiophiles"....:D

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Great review, but I wish you'd gone in to more detail. Which power cords would work best with this? I'd like to get a deeper sound stage and improved resolution. Also, you completely skipped over details on how to hook this up with Bose 1-2-3 speakers.

PS: Do you know if there are quantity discounts available?

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
What.........no HDMI output? I guess that will be for the next revision, return of the KID.

I wonder what Krell is anticipating as far as # of units sold for the "entry level price".

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
It is very attractive. However, I thought high audiophiles weren't allowed to use ipods.

mr-ben

mr-ben

Audioholic
My respect for Krell just dropped a little bit. If an audiophile truly wants to integrate the iPod into their system, the Wadia iTransport seems like a much better alternative than this thing.

C

cubbie5150

Audioholic Intern
My respect for Krell just dropped a little bit. If an audiophile truly wants to integrate the iPod into their system, the Wadia iTransport seems like a much better alternative than this thing.
Don't blame Krell...they're just making what some so-called audiophiles will buy. People w/ too much disposable income make this hobby way too expensive.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Don't blame Krell...they're just making what some so-called audiophiles will buy. People w/ too much disposable income make this hobby way too expensive.
Not at all. It makes it expensive for them. You don't have to buy one of these. In fact I would recommend you not buy one regardless of how much disposable income you have. A digitial audio streaming device like the Squeezebox is far more useful and flexible.

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
So, 4 grand worth of electronics to hook up to a device that's composed of 100 bucks worth of memory, 100 bucks worth of marketing, and 3 bucks worth of electronics. That seems wise.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis