Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray Player to Support BD-Live

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sony has announced it’s shipping the BDP-S350 Blu-ray player that’ll support all the promised features for the new format. The good news it’s going for $400, making a new BD player even more attractive.

Discuss "Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray Player to Support BD-Live" here. Read the article.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
Finally, an entry level Blu-Ray worth having...

Well it's taken a while, but it looks like HT owners will finally be able to get a solid stand alone Blu-Ray player without having to break the bank.

Props to Sony for getting it right with their 3rd generation player.

Can't wait to see one of these things in the retail stores.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
No internal decoding of DTS-MA and no 5.1 analog out = no sale.:(

It doesn't decode TrueHD. No source direct either. I'm not sure if this is worth waiting for. The S300 at least have 5.1 analog outs. With this you are doomed to upgrade your receiver which negates the point of being an entry level.

Last edited:
croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I think it does do TrueHD decoding, just not DTS-MA. Incidentally, DTS-MA audio hs been causing some issues with Yamaha and Onkyo's newer receivers (Very LOUD pops that can damage speakers).

N

ned

Full Audioholic
I think it does do TrueHD decoding, just not DTS-MA. Incidentally, DTS-MA audio hs been causing some issues with Yamaha and Onkyo's newer receivers (Very LOUD pops that can damage speakers).
According to some users it can but the manual says it can't. The loud pop has been corrected by recent software update.

D

Drag0nFly

Enthusiast
And what about SACD capability? I guess that is too much to ask from one of the companies that actually originated the format? :rolleyes:

Sigh. No sale. And don't give me that "music on Blu is coming and it will be great yada, yada". SACD with its 2.82 Mhz sampling rate and DSD mastering process is already lightyears ahead of any quality DTS Master Audio / Dolby TrueHD equivalent. Besides, Blu is a video format, and this would just introduce even more consumer confusion.

I also found the following statement quite amusing:

A slimmer profile looks better in your component rack and its compact size requires less packaging.
No, actually, it would look kind of odd in my rack. I also prefer heavier, more rock-solid models, and I guess I'm not alone in this since this is a highly subjective matter.

Last edited:
A

allargon

Audioholic General
No internal decoding of DTS-MA and no 5.1 analog out = no sale.:(

It doesn't decode TrueHD. No source direct either. I'm not sure if this is worth waiting for. The S300 at least have 5.1 analog outs. With this you are doomed to upgrade your receiver which negates the point of being an entry level.
Those of you wanting full decoding and 7.1 analog will need to wait for the Sony BDP-S550 this summer unless Samsung decides to add DTS-HD HR/MA decoding to the BD-UP5000. (I think the Sony DAC's will be a good bit better than the Samsungs.) (Seriously, PCM is going away. Why waste analog outputs on players that don't decode all audio formats at this stage of the game?)

Engadget wasn't very kind to this player.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/16/hands-on-with-sonys-new-bdp-s350-and-other-hd-frivolities/

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
It's a decent player IMO...

Compared to the BDP-1500 (at least internally) the BDP-350 has more to offer. It seems to me to be a decent player.

As for the "apparent" cheapness, we live in a world of diminshing resources, so we will continue to see more attempts to save resources. I say if it performs as advertised, then it's good. The days of heft=quality are going away.

It's on my short list.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Compared to the BDP-1500 (at least internally) the BDP-350 has more to offer. It seems to me to be a decent player.

As for the "apparent" cheapness, we live in a world of diminshing resources, so we will continue to see more attempts to save resources. I say if it performs as advertised, then it's good. The days of heft=quality are going away.

It's on my short list.
If you have an HDMI 1.3 capable receiver then you're good to go.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
If you have an HDMI 1.3 capable receiver then you're good to go.
If you have a receiver capable of decoding DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD you might be good to go. (There are quite a few HDMI 1.3 receivers that only do switching or worse--video pass through.) I still shake my head on this one. It made some sense to have the receiver decode in the world of profile 1.0 and DVD. However, the player should be doing the decoding for 1.1 and 2.0 players--period.

The BDP-1500 can at least decode Dolby TrueHD.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
The BDP-1500 can at least decode Dolby TrueHD.
So can the BDP-350!!!:)

From the Sony website:

Revel in astounding HD clarity with the BDP-S350 Blu-ray™ Disc player. Featuring BD-Live compatibility*, you can take full advantage of the Bonus View feature of select Blu-ray movies as well as acquire the latest features and updates as they become available. This player also outputs a Full 1080/24p True Cinema picture, plus upscales your existing DVD collection to 1080p when using the HDMI™ connection. Superior picture quality isn't the only thing you'll notice, the BDP-S350 comes with Dolby® TrueHD™ which delivers sound as stunning as the high definition picture itself. Bringing it all together is the new icon based Xcross Media Bar, which provides simple navigation of the player's menu system.

* Upgrade to BD-Live by adding USB memory.

Bonus View (Profile 1.1)

BD-Live Ready (will be available by firmware update)

Full HD 1080/60 p & 24p True Cinema Video Output
Most of all Hollywood movies are shot at 24 frames per second, and Blu-ray Disc™ movies are mastered at 24 frame per second, so it is only fitting that the Sony® Blu-ray Disc™ Players can output your films at 1080/24p for a true film-like experience at home. Of course, Sony® Blu-ray Disc™ Players can also output at 1080/60p for more traditional HDTV sets on the market. Either way Sony® has you covered for the best picture possible in Full 1080p!

Dolby® TrueHD decoder built-in
Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment like Blu-ray Disc™. An incredible sound stage, dynamic range and a stellar Home Theater experience await you with Dolby TrueHD.

Dolby® TrueHD /DTS®-HD bitstream out over HDMI™ (V1.3)

DVD upscale to 1080p

Precision Cinema HD Upscale

x.v.Color™ for AVC-HD

BRAVIA™ Sync
—As a leader in products with HDMI™ connectivity, Sony has created BRAVIA® Sync to gobeyond simple audio and video transmission. When combined with a select number of BRAVIA® televisions and other Sony audio and video products, in addition to audio and video transmission, control functions will betransmitted via the HDMI™ cable. With “One Touch Play,” operations that took several steps have been reduced to one. Press the PLAY button on the remote, watch the audio and/or the video component(s) turn on then the BRAVIA® television turn on and switch to the correct video input–Simple–Easy–BRAVIA® Sync.

Ether port for Network Update

USB port for BD-Live External Memory

Xross Media Bar

DTS-HD (High Resolution/Master Audio) Bitstream Out
DTS-HD gives you sound quality that matches the crystal clear image of Blu-ray Disc™. With up to 7.1 channels of surround sound and audio that is indistinguishable form the original studio version, DTS-HD promises youan extraordinary surround experience.

itschris

itschris

Since my 94 can decode I'm okay with the 350. I'm thinking about setting up my system with additional preamps, so I may have to wait for the 550 or the new Pio.

I think the next few months will really change things. Rumor still has it that OPPO is supped to be coming out with a play soon as well.

I'm in no hurry right now. I'm still just enjoying the new setup.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Since my 94 can decode I'm okay with the 350. I'm thinking about setting up my system with additional preamps, so I may have to wait for the 550 or the new Pio.

I think the next few months will really change things. Rumor still has it that OPPO is supped to be coming out with a play soon as well.

I'm in no hurry right now. I'm still just enjoying the new setup.
Hey Chris, I hope that rumor is correct in that Oppo has a new BR player coming out. This is what I am waiting for. Still not sure which player to get. I have been looking at the Samsung 1500 very seriously. Now, the new Sony 350 looks promising. And, there is still the PS3. Just can't seem to make up my mind. The new Panny is going to be too expensive and has been excluded from my list. So, hopefully Oppo will be releasing a BR player soon as I am getting anxious. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

itschris

itschris

Hey Chris, I hope that rumor is correct in that Oppo has a new BR player coming out. This is what I am waiting for. Still not sure which player to get. I have been looking at the Samsung 1500 very seriously. Now, the new Sony 350 looks promising. And, there is still the PS3. Just can't seem to make up my mind. The new Panny is going to be too expensive and has been excluded from my list. So, hopefully Oppo will be releasing a BR player soon as I am getting anxious. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil
If you can decode on the receiver side, I don't see why the 350 wouldn't be a good choice for anyone given the price point. I've read everything from Christmas time to the beginning of next year, and beyond for the OPPO. It always so easy to get caught in the trap of waiting and waiting and waiting. I did that with Emotiva's pre/pro and got burned, so unless I hear something definative about the OPPO, I'll just probably get the Sony. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on player when it's likely superior ones will be coming down the pike in a year or two.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I need analog outs and internal decoding. I am in no hurry as I am not a huge movie watcher. Most of the movies I rent aren't released in Blu Ray. I'm hoping the Oppo would be a universal disc player. I currently have the denon 3910, and my Fireball Server has a fine cd player as well. A standalone Blu player would give my rig three sepreate disc spinners and that is just silly.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If you can decode on the receiver side, I don't see why the 350 wouldn't be a good choice for anyone given the price point. I've read everything from Christmas time to the beginning of next year, and beyond for the OPPO. It always so easy to get caught in the trap of waiting and waiting and waiting. I did that with Emotiva's pre/pro and got burned, so unless I hear something definative about the OPPO, I'll just probably get the Sony. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on player when it's likely superior ones will be coming down the pike in a year or two.
Yeah, my receiver can decode the new codecs as I have the Yammie 663. I have to admit, the new Sony 350 looks promising for my needs. If Oppo does not come out with a player soon, then chances are I will just buy the 350. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis