THX - Managing Bass Modes

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
John Dahl from THX discusses room modes (or peaks) and various ways to deal with them, including the use of multiple subwoofers, room treatments, and certain isolation and bass-trapping products. This video gives a great overview of what it takes to tame the frequencies in your room below 200Hz - where the room really makes itself known.

Discuss "THX - Managing Bass Modes" here. Read the article.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
What about Nodes? They're more difficult to deal with no?

SheepStar

If you address the peaks, the valleys ultimately get alleviated. You can't actually "fix" nulls, only observe them. Fixing peak issues is the best way to fix null issues.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
What about Nodes? They're more difficult to deal with no?
I have had some luck dealing with room nodes via active equalization but if you need to boost more than a few dB to fix it, DON'T do it! Sometimes changing the phase relationship between multiple subs just a bit can work, other times it simply makes it worse at a different seat. This is why its important to measure the entire listening area, not just the money seat when setting up a system.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
That was good information but some of the slides were hard or impossible to see. Also, I wish he would have gone into more depth about mechanical bass absorption. It's something I'm looking into. I suppose that could be a talk in and of itself.

Jim

Cinebass

Audiophyte
some comments:

hello
1. indeed would be great if there's some way to see the slides
2. i have good results using this lay out:
- Hemholtz resonators in corners (jocavi acoustics)
- a line of identical subs at front wall, test different distance from the front wall though. can have dramatic effect; use identical subs when doing multisubs layout !!
- i always prefer having large front capable speakers so bass is differentiated and respects the movie mix: tighter bass for the LR and deeper longer waves from the subwoofers (.1 channel). this gives a way more natural and "impact rich" sound
3. placing subs at each mid wall works but can often be impractical in a typical HT
4. two vertical lines of subs also has great results but can also be a problem to setup/ besides there's almost no manufacturers (except Divatech (biosonic wall) and ATC in Germany who do this) or i think one or two ultra high end hifi speakers manufacturers. I wish velodyne, sunfire, jbl would do these.
Yet having two big towers with twin 12 or 15'' gunners and a floor line of subs and resonators give tremendous results.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
:D
- Hemholtz resonators in corners (jocavi acoustics)
How exactly do Helmholtz resonators work? They can be as much a detriment as a boon, correct?

I built a riser that is surely acting as one. I didn't buy fiber/wool to fill it with. Very large, 2x6's, but plywood instead of mdf. The commercial carpet is already stapled, and I don't think I'll ever figure this stuff out as it must be so depenent on room dimensions and measurements... but bringing it up in case that anyone can make a simple summation for lesser AVers. :)

I've finally implemented some HF bass traps for the HT. Four for the front. Anything helps it seems.

It seems that Gene knew exactly what he was doing in building his. I've noted with my riser that the tactile response is minimal, and I have a strong impression that the resonance area is of a higher frequency than I would like. The resonant/tactile frequencies are pretty minimal in amplitude, at least to the extent of being able to feel them with any great significance.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/do-it-yourself-diy-topics/multifunction-theater-seat-riser

Its just things I've noted in my movie watching, and Im pretty happy so far. But things could always be improved I suppose. :D

Cinebass

Audiophyte
jocaviacousticpanels dot com

hi

look at the absorbants, resonator section, "roundbasscorners"
cool stuff
available in many colors
120cm high; 22kg
Hemholtz resonator inside.
helps my demo room 2 going lower in FQ with less room resonance
ideally you need 4-8 of these ! stacked by 2 vertically, in each corner
it sucks down the corner increase and helps increase the nulls.
i also have a raiser. can't watch a movie without a raiser :)
much more cinematic.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis