Edifier E3350 2.1 Desktop Speakers

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The impossible; that's what motivates me. In fact, isn't that what motivates all of humanity? The first astronaut in space, an electric powered car, the telephone, the atomic bomb. There are so many examples of people achieving what was once thought the impossible. Our personal impossible achievements may not be on the same level as the printing press, but still the impossible is what drives us. When reviewing the E3350 system by Edifier, I wondered if they set out to achieve the impossible. Did they ask themselves, "Can we make a sound system that is both an audio and visual piece of entertainment? Can our sound system also be its own art collection?" I believe that these questions drove the design of the E3350.

Discuss "Edifier E3350 2.1 Desktop Speakers" here. Read the article.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I didn't know these guys were based so close to Home.

SheepStar

I saw their speakers at CES this January and wanted us to review them - they looked so cool...

What's weird is that so many reviewers (including c|net) loved these speakers. Only one other reviewer noted the "dancing subwoofer" with distorted sound...

As this was our second sample (first one was DOA) I was unwilling to accept a third in the event that this issue was with "our sample". Who knows...

N

niceshoes

Audioholic Intern
I have a similar Edifier 2.1 system attached to my PC (in fact, I'm listening to it right now).

To me these speakers represent everything that is wrong with manufacturing today. Take brands like Edifier, B&O, Ikea, Bose, or Nike: it looks great in the showroom, it's aesthetically pleasing, it's not overly expensive, but it's only after you get it home and live with it for a week that you realise it's rubbish.

Sadly, it's 100% true that most consumers would choose a product that either a)looks cool or b) is marketed well over something that represents genuine quality and value.

I don't know whether to blame the manufacturers, the consumers or the marketers, but this current trend of "cool over quality" is really starting to take over.

Thaedium

Thaedium

Audioholic
It looks like a poor joke.

A dancing sub? Come on. Any speaker manufacturer neglecting the basics of their craft is clearly angling for a quick buck at the expense of easily had consumers. On the brightside, at least it isn't priced outrageously. Yet for me, I feel that $100 spent on a product should at least provide some level of quality beyond fit/finish.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
For $200, one can purchase a pair of KRK Rokit5 mini-monitors. This is an extremely high quality device for the money spent. In fact, when I first saw them, inspected them and listened to them, I thought it was a $400-$500 mini-monitor system. I did not find out the price until later. It is self amplified, relative low resonance, 1st rate fit and finish, 2 way 5" slot ported studio monitor and does not even need a sub when using at lower volume levels for computer use in the near field. This device absolutely shames any computer speaker that I know of, and in fact, it exceeds the performance of the similarly priced AudioEngine 2 considerably, which was the previous best value. I borrowed and measured/analyzed a KRK Rokit 5 and I stand behind it's incredible value for use as an all in one self amplified compact computer speaker system. It is actually a more accurate, overall, amplified monitor, as compared to most larger studio monitors I have tried that cost much more; this being owed to it's relative low resonance cabinet and very good drivers(that have very little residual energy/resonances) and it's very linear/smooth off axis response.

Off axis, 0-90 degrees:
http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/other/krk_rokit5/frequencyresponse_offaxis_0-90d.gif

On axis, 20Hz-20kHz(LF near field spliced to 1M mid-treble measurement):
http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/other/krk_rokit5/frequencyresponse_onaxis_spliced.gif

Waterfall/CSD:
http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/other/krk_rokit5/waterfall.gif

-Chris

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Chris, where can you get them for $200/pair. Amazon had them for $250/each.

Thanks!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Chris, where can you get them for $200/pair. Amazon had them for $250/each.

Thanks!
Wow, I just looked, it appears this item has very recently been discontinued and replaced with the Rokit 5 Generation 2. The G2 may have the same performance, but they have raised the price $50 each; the Rokit G2 is $300/pair. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee the G2 is of the same high quality without personally analyzing/measuring a sample.

Looks like the last chance to get them 100 each is from Woodwind-Brasswind. They are listed as 'on order', so they may have one last batch on the way - I recommend that you call and verify this. I have purchased and returned gear to Woodwind-Brasswind in the past, and I had a good customer service experience.

http://www.wwbw.com/KRK-RP5_Rokit_Studio_Monitor_(Single)-i132625.music?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-KRK-_-Studio Monitors_Studio Monitors_Powered (Active) Studio Monitors-_-RP5 Rokit Studio Monitor (Single)&mr:trackingCode=C23C03DF-F64A-DD11-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

It appears that 8th Street Music has some left, at $140 each + shipping, if you want to get them at the higher price from a place that lists them as active stock.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HDFWZS?smid=A3ET1CHCB2RN4K&tag=nextag-mi-mp-20&linkCode=asn

There is also an eBay seller with 11 new units left, at $149.50(free shipping) each. http://cgi.ebay.com/KRK-Systems-Rokit-RP-5-Two-Way-Active-Studio-Monitor_W0QQitemZ230231763776QQihZ013QQcategoryZ47093QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

-Chris

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for taking the time to look all of that information up, Chris! I sure appreciate it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis