Klipsch and Energy Coming to Circuit City

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Circuit City has announced it’s expanding its home audio lineup to include Klipsch and Energy speakers. Klipsch has been courting the mainstream consumer with a diversified product line lately, now it’s bringing Energy with it.

Discuss "Klipsch and Energy Coming to Circuit City" here. Read the article.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Klipsch may have picked the wrong distribution channel!

Circuit City has announced it’s expanding its home audio lineup to include Klipsch and Energy speakers. Klipsch has been courting the mainstream consumer with a diversified product line lately, now it’s bringing Energy with it.

Circuit City is not doing very well and is talking about shutting down a majority , if not all of the stores :(

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

This news isn't surprising! Since Klipsch acquired API both Energy and Mirage have become more mainstream here in Canada. As a matter of fact the Klipsch RF's are now available at Futue Shop along with the Energy brand, while the Klipsch Synergy line is sold at Best Buy. So if circuit city doesn't work out I am sure they'll work out a deal with Best Buy;). The bottom line is Klipsch will be able sell their products to the masses and I for one have no problem with this.

Last edited:
W

westcott

Audioholic General
Its a real juggling act for manufacturers like Klipsch to get their products in front of potentional customers. They have distribution agreements with many specialty stores for their high end products so customers can get support and hopefully a proper audition of their products. I think we will see more of this expansion into the large stores like Best Buy and Circuit City if their efforts are successful with their less prestigous lines. It is really up to the distributors and how successful they are at selling Klipsch products. It they fail to meet expectations, they may find themselves without a contract.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Hopefully they will carry the Klipsch Reference series. Best Buy already carries the Synergy line, and those leave a lot to be desired.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Hopefully they will carry the Klipsch Reference series. Best Buy already carries the Synergy line, and those leave a lot to be desired.
i wouldnt think so, considering their normal distribution history.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Circuit City is not doing very well and is talking about shutting down a majority , if not all of the stores :(
My local CC was pretty sad looking the last time I was in there. I can definitely believe they might be closing.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Best Buy's Magnolia Dept. carries some of the reference stuff... not the flagship stuff but some of it....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Its a real juggling act for manufacturers like Klipsch to get their products in front of potentional customers. They have distribution agreements with many specialty stores for their high end products so customers can get support and hopefully a proper audition of their products. I think we will see more of this expansion into the large stores like Best Buy and Circuit City if their efforts are successful with their less prestigous lines. It is really up to the distributors and how successful they are at selling Klipsch products. It they fail to meet expectations, they may find themselves without a contract.
I wouldn't think Klipsch speakers (including Energy and Mirage) are considered high end, but perhaps higher quality than what BB/CC typically stocks. I can't wait to see the potentially lower prices of the Klipsch RF-83 and the Veritas once they get settled in the big box stores. Klipsch may end up with lower margins, but will sell more for sure. People are spending thousands on those big Sony XBR HDTV in BB, so chances are they can afford to spend a few more grands on a pair of nice speakers?

IMHO those lower end speakers BB/FS/CC traditionally sell are no match for their mid end receivers, BD players and HDTVs. People end up spending enough on the video/audio electronics but short changing the most important component, the one that actually makes the sound. It is long over due for them (BB/CC etc.) to bring "higher" quality speakers into their stores.

R

rufas2000

Junior Audioholic
I'm not really sure why Circuit City would do this. Best Buy already carries the Synergy line. I even saw a smaller furniture / electronics store (HH Gregg) carry the Synergy line.

Circuit City is playing catch up. Getting a line your main competitor has had for years doesn't seem the way to catch up. And why bother with Energy if your only going to get one small complete system? Maybe I'm mistaken but everyone who has raved about Energy on here wasn't talking about a complete small system. I'm sure its a good product but will the Energy name stand out among those most likely to buy such a system.

CC should get some of Energy's floorstanding models. At least it would be something you won't see at BB and may get a few customers in for a look-see and even if they don't buy them they might pick up that video game or pack of recordable CD-Rs or some other add on sale that would have went to BB otherwise.

If CC can't get the Energy floorstanders they should try to get another prominent speaker complany. Perhaps they could get Infinity or some of the non entry level Boston Acoustics models. As it stands now Best Buy and Circuit City both carry Polk's and Klipsch's entry level series along with MTX. Best Buy also has JBL and I'm not counting what Magnolia offers.

BTW: it was a great move IMHO for BB to get Polk's TSI (I think) series. When you're the market leader its always good to get something you're closet competitor had that you didn't. But if you're trailing you need to differentiate to get people into your stores.

I know Home Audio isn't the main thing in stores like these but I think customers will come if you have something different.

Or maybe I just want BB and CC to get more speaker models because they're much closer to my house than the specialty shops (that I can't find many of here in (30 miles or so north of) Tampa.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Are they just going to top out with the RF-x2 series and Energy RC lines? I am guessing Veritas and RF-x3 will never set foot in a CC showroom.

R

rufas2000

Junior Audioholic
The article only mentioned the Synergy series (and prices topping out at $900) and one six piece budget system from Energy. No RF anything and no Energy offerings other than the one system.

I'm not sure why the article goes into the idea of Klipsch entering the big box retailer market like its something new. They've been at Best Buy for years.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Are they just going to top out with the RF-x2 series and Energy RC lines? I am guessing Veritas and RF-x3 will never set foot in a CC showroom.
I have never seen any Klipsch RF series speakers in big box stores up here in Canada. However, a few months ago I did notice a pair of Veritas 2.4i on display in a Future Shop store in Mississauga Ontario. If I remember correctly, it was listed for around $4K at the time. I have not seen any Energy models other than the RC mini in other FS stores. None in BB or The Source (same as CC in the U.S.).

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
you red chicklet MORON

I was providing information that is true. To give me a red chicklet for providing information means you are a MORON.

So be it, have a good day :rolleyes:

And then you don't even have the cojoens to say who are. Best of luck to you because you need it1

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Circuit City Store shudown specifics -first phase

I was providing information that is true. To give me a red chicklet for providing information means you are a MORON.

So be it, have a good day :rolleyes:

And then you don't even have the cojoens to say who are. Best of luck to you because you need it1
Circuit City Store shutdown specifics -first phase

Circuit City is having financial problems and intially is shutting down several stores to try and avoid filing chapter 11. That is why I said initially that Klipsch may have picked the wrong store as a new distribution channel for their speakers. Here is some information :

http://digg.com/tech_news/Circuit_City_to_close_stores

orlandosentinel.com — The closings will take place over the next six months at an expected total cost of $85 million to $105 million, all to be incurred in the current fourth fiscal quarter, which ends Feb. 28

http://newsroom.circuitcity.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=155982
Circuit City Announces 19 Superstore Closings as Part of Its Ongoing Initiatives to Improve Financial Performance
Company Also Announces Closures of Five Regional Offices and One Distribution Center, Sale of a Corporate Building

RICHMOND, Va., Feb 16, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Circuit City Stores, Inc. today announced the closing of 19 Superstores, five regional offices and one distribution center by the end of the month, as well as the sale of a corporate building, continuing its initiatives to improve the company's overall financial performance.

"Based on our continuing analysis of markets across the country, we have identified 19 Superstores located in trade areas that we believe can no longer support a Circuit City Superstore, leaving the locations with no reasonable expectation of positive cash flow and without relocation opportunities over the near term," said W. Alan McCollough, chairman and chief executive officer of Circuit City Stores, Inc. "In many of the larger markets in which we are closing stores, we have added incremental stores in more vital trade areas or relocated stores to more attractive sites. The repositioning of our stores within these markets continues, and it no longer makes financial sense to keep some of the stores in those markets open."

In the fourth quarter of the current fiscal year, Circuit City expects to incur expenses of approximately $30 million after tax in conjunction with the store and regional office closings. The costs relate primarily to lease terminations, fixed asset disposals and, to a lesser extent, severance and other costs. The 19 stores combined had revenues of $170 million for the 12- month period ended December 31, 2004.

In most cases, Circuit City customers who are affected by the store closings will have the option of shopping at a nearby Circuit City Superstore. All customers will be able to shop with Circuit City on the Web at http://www.circuitcity.com or over the telephone at 1-800-THE-CITY. The closing stores will not open today or tomorrow, but will reopen on Friday, February 18, for a close-out sale of display merchandise.

In addition to the store closings, the company will close a distribution center located in Doswell, Va. The 400,000 square foot facility will close at the end of the month. Expenses associated with the distribution center closing are not expected to be material. After a transition period, the company expects a reduction in inventory as the company shifts store replenishment distribution to its other nine distribution centers.

The company also sold one of the buildings at its corporate headquarters campus to Perimeter Center, LLC., an affiliate of Daniel Realty. The 188,120 square foot building, known as Deep Run II, opened in July 1994. The transaction resulted in a gain of approximately $1.8 million after tax, and the elimination of $12.6 million of long-term debt associated with the operating lease arrangement from the company's consolidated balance sheet.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis