Denon AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI Review Support Thread

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Denon AVP-A1HDCI represents bleeding edge technology that only a select few manufacturers can compete with regardless of price. This processor truly is a master of all domains. It’s not cheap to own this combo set from Denon, but such is the case with statement pieces and first implementers of new technologies. From its Realta video processing engine, to its sophisticated Audyssey room correction, top notch construction and component usage, you’re getting Mercedes level performance and refinement at Acura prices. Your high end audio snob friends may snicker at this system, especially since they likely spent 2-3 times more for hollow boxes, but I suggest humbling yourself by saying nothing. You don’t want everyone driving the same car you’re driving, do you?

Discuss "Denon AVP-A1HDCI 12CH Home Theater Processor Review" here. Read the article.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Awesome review by Gene!

Now I look forward to saving up for the AVP-A1HDCI + POA-A1HDCI!!!:D:D:D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Great review Gene (as usual).

Agree completely with your comments re the "high end" component manufacturers. Anyone in the Halcro/Lexicon market should take a close look at this product and the companion amp.

Hopefully, reviews like this will allow Denon to shake off the midfi perception of Denon products.

H

hodedofome

Audioholic Intern
Can you really, honestly tell a difference in this vs using a Yamaha/Onkyo/Pioneer as a pre-pro? Features aside, is there really a difference in sound if you use the same amp? (I just want to know, don't feel like opening a can of worms...)

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Gene,
Does the volume scaling issue exist in the stand alone SEQ Pro version?

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Great review Gene (as usual).

Agree completely with your comments re the "high end" component manufacturers. Anyone in the Halcro/Lexicon market should take a close look at this product and the companion amp.

Hopefully, reviews like this will allow Denon to shake off the midfi perception of Denon products.
+1

Hopefully people will see that this preamp (and matching amp) are definitely worthy to be in the high end league of pre/pros.

Denon definitely has a winner!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,
Does the volume scaling issue exist in the stand alone SEQ Pro version?
The Audyssey Pro stand alone unit is only an active EQ box. It doesn't have preamp function but it does scale down output levels 10dB I believe so that if excessive boost occurs, it won't clip the connecting preamp.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
The Audyssey Pro stand alone unit is only an active EQ box. It doesn't have preamp function but it does scale down output levels 10dB I believe so that if excessive boost occurs, it won't clip the connecting preamp.
I'm assuming that this issue includes their receiver as well, right?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm assuming that this issue includes their receiver as well, right?
potentially yes but it also affects pretty much all of the new Onkyo receivers and any latest generation receivers/processors on the market using the same Volume IC chips and have Audyssey processing as well as the host of other processing features that cause the volume control to scale when engaged.

Whether or not it affects your system depends on many variables including:
the size of your room
listening preferences
speaker sensitivity
how much boost Audyssey does
input source level

majorloser

majorloser

Maybe I'm just "old fashion", but I only noticed one 12V trigger output. :confused:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Maybe I'm just "old fashion", but I only noticed one 12V trigger output.
No but you need glasses :) There are 4 high current 12V triggers all assignable per input, zone, DSP, etc.

majorloser

majorloser

No but you need glasses :) There are 4 high current 12V triggers all assignable per input, zone, DSP, etc.
MY BAD :eek:

Who would think they'd be red? I was looking at the black ones below.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Nice review Gene, Actually one of the best you've done.

I won't be buying one any time soon, but it is nice, in a jealous way;), to see what my Yamaha doesn't do.

D

denon48

Audiophyte
Great review. Are you going to do a complete review on the avr 5308ci?:)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Great review. Are you going to do a complete review on the avr 5308ci?
After writing nearly 20k words between this review and the matching 10CH amp, I am taking a break from receiver/processor reviews for awhile and will be switching gears towards speakers and maybe an amp or two for now.

I measured the 5308CI for Clint which he will be writing up the review of shortly.

U

upallnight312

Enthusiast
"As for the fuel efficient sports car….don’t hold your breath…."

I know I'll probably get flamed for this but...

Fuel efficient sports car? ZERO fuel sports car are already available. The 2008 Tesla Roadster is already in production. 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, fully electric, 220 miles per charge, which works out to 2 cents a gallon in equivalent costs.

I may not be ably to afford one, but I'm guessing if you can afford this preamp you can afford one of these cars.

Sorry for the diversion, but I've been really worked up about pollution/oil/auto industry issues lately.

Back to talking about toys I'd love to have but will probably never afford:(

R

rascal

Audiophyte
Great Review..and...

Gene, thank you for a detailed but succinct review. I hope it is a matter of time, people realize that Denon AVP is officially 'hi-end' ;) :D

The only question which lingered in my mind was (sonically) how it would compare to pre-pro section of 5308CI :cool: esp. wrt digital inputs. I presume video processing is identical for both the models?

Take a well deserved rest after you answer this :p

Rgds,
Clint R

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Fuel efficient sports car? ZERO fuel sports car are already available. The 2008 Tesla Roadster is already in production. 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, fully electric, 220 miles per charge, which works out to 2 cents a gallon in equivalent costs.

I may not be ably to afford one, but I'm guessing if you can afford this preamp you can afford one of these cars.

Sorry for the diversion, but I've been really worked up about pollution/oil/auto industry issues lately.

Back to talking about toys I'd love to have but will probably never afford
I swear I wrote "Sports Sedan" and I should have put the word "Affordable" in it. I was writing this as I was debating on buying out the lease of my 05 Acura TL or scaling down to 1 car until Acura or someone else makes a similar car that runs on plant algae or hydrogen :rolleyes:

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
i think if I bought one I would have to display it with the back facing front and also remove the case off it.
Nice reveiw. I wish I had the extra coin.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis