New Snags in the Digital TV Transition - Moola

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Congressionally mandated switch to digital broadcasting on February 19, 2009 may face another obstacle besides senior citizens who have no idea that their TV's will go out and youngsters who don't care about analog anything: Money. There's not enough of it to guarantee everyone a box.

Discuss "New Snags in the Digital TV Transition - Moola" here. Read the article.

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
In many respects, Digital T.V. is not yet ready for prime time. There's still no portable handheld digital T.V.'s to use in a storm emergency, and there's still no disc recorder or(widely marketed) videocassette recorder to enable consumers to make a permanent recording of a digital T.V. program. Worse yet,there's no laws in place to provide reasonable protection of consumer recording rights in the digital T.V. era. Even if digital T.V. disc or tape recorders are introduced, the elaborate copy protection system built into the ATSC standard means that even if digital T.V. tape or disc recorders are introduced, there's nothing to stop cable,satellite and terrestrial digital broadcasters from pushing a button and rendering 100% of the programming unrecordable.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
are you accusing our fine government of not thinking this all the way through, why that is unheard of :D

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
are you accusing our fine government of not thinking this all the way through, why that is unheard of :D
Well, Yeah, that exactly what I'm saying, and they're collaborating with a sinister movie industry scheme to totally abolish consumer recording of T.V. programs.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I thought it was ridiculous that they put an expiration date on the coupons, but that did kinda spur me on to get mine in a timely manner. Once I got my converter box, I was wishing I had gotten it sooner since the picture quality is much better, and I now have a programming guide, and a couple other features. The two things I wish it had but doesn't, are digital audio output(s) and video outputs that are better than composite video. But for the $10 I spend on the box, I can't really complain too much... I got the Zenith converter box at HH Gregg since it was $50 there vs. $60 everywhere else.

I also wish I could control it with my yamaha receiver remote(s)... maybe I can, but I don't know which set of codes to use.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis