Epson Home Cinema 720 LCD Projector Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I got an email the other day from a friend I hadn't heard from in a long time. We caught up with each other about a few things, and then he asked me: What's the best projector out there for under $1500? Wow, that's a good question, isn't it? A couple of years ago the level of quality you'd be able to expect from that price was much different. Today, it's almost amazing what consumers are getting for their money. I told him I was reviewing the Epson Home Cinema 720 LCD projector and that if it even remotely resembled its "bigger brother" the 1080 or 1080UB it would be high on my list. As I launched into the review process I found that some consumers might just do very well to eschew 1080p - especially if they are using smaller screens or sitting back more than 2x the screen width.

Discuss "Epson Home Cinema 720 LCD Projector Review" here. Read the article.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Cool review.

I wonder when Epson will release the 720UB with better blacks. You know it's coming. ;)

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I was looking at this projector to buy for my room. I read a lot of reviews and I really enjoyed this one. Ultimately I decided to go with the Mitsubishi HC1500. The Epson has better placement flexibility but I am more than happy with my choice.

H

hifisyd01

Audioholic Intern
I own an HC720 and could not be happier. Granted, I'm a projector noob, but the perforance to value ratio on this unit is off the charts in my opinion. I'd recommend it without hesitation!

K

klk

Audiophyte
I am really torn between this and the Panasonic PT-AX200U. I am leaning towards the Epson, but have a single concern - Fan Noise. I have read that the Fan is quite loud in the brightest modes (which I would be using most of the time to watch Hockey in a room with lights on.). Is the fan noise that bad in living room or dynamic mode? Thanks.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would still be hard pressed to recommend this over the AX200, but it's just so marginally close it seems between projectors these days. Hands down, the issue is that there are to many EXCELLENT choices out there, and this one is not really different. That is, the projectors is top notch and likely blows away projectors from just a few years back that were ten times the price.

What are we talking though... $6 in price difference between the Panasonic and the Epson... Yep, that's going to be a harder decision to make. The Panasonic I've actually put up on a Carada 160 BW screen and was shocked at how bright the image was at that size. So, while the Epson is solid, if you do want the killer bright, it may still be better to go with the Panny.

On the other hand, what are the odds we'll see 1080p dip below $1,500 this year since the Sanyo and BenQ models are basically near $2K already? Heck, the new Sanyo is $1,799... Gotta wonder how solid that model is for only about 500 bucks more.

K

klk

Audiophyte
When I factor the bulb in though, the Epson is $350 less than the Panasonic!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis