On Location: Denon Line Show 2008

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
This week I had the privilege of attending the Denon Line Show & Press Event in Dana Point, California. A top floor room that looked out over the Pacific Ocean from the Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa was my home for a couple of nights while attending, and it proved to be a great trip full of demos and information. An idyllic setting by any measure, and it provided me a great evening of relaxation prior to my day of work - yeah, we call this work.

Discuss "Editorial: Denon Line Show 2008" here. Read the article.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
can we get a full spec of the 2809? what it has over the old 3808?

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
When did they make you a Mod Mike? Grats on that :D

Mike

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Upgrades

I recently upgraded from Denon to Onkyo...and now dennon pulls a sweet stunt like this and demos sweet new gear? Tis a curse and a blessing I guess.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
oh, Mr. Clarke, and while you are there ...

ask them if this new audyssey thingy won't kill the "exciting" peaks in soundtracks.

i mean, explosions do come suddenly and in between quiet passages a lot

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
OK, OK, OK!!!!:rolleyes:

The Denon DVD-1800BD, it looks somehow familier to me. Note how the upper end Blu-ray players that Denon sells currently don't have a nifty little SD card slot on the bottom right corner of the unit. Also note the location of the display and the stop/play/pause/eject buttons. It would be remarkably simple to configure the play/pause/stop buttons to another function (making it appear to be different from OEM). The power button is on the far left, instead of where it would be on the OEM (on the far right). The remote sensor is in the same location on the Denon as the OEM, but you can't tell from pictures (I have seen the OEM up close). The Denon seems to have the same physique as the OEM, which isn't the least bit surprising.

The Denon is profile 1.1, features HDMI 1.3 (bitstreams DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, stereo analog audio output, no internal processing for DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD.

Enter the OEM, a Funai (which has made OEM video products for Denon in the past), it features profile 1.1, HDMI 1.3 (bitstreams DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, stereo analog audio output, no internal processing for DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. The Funai makes up a Philips Blu-ray player, a Magnavox Blu-ray player, a Sylvania Blu-ray player, and reportedly an Insignia Blu-ray player.

Now this comes as no surprise, it's just disappointing to catch companies like Denon playing so dirty. I guess if the Funai is alright for Denon, then the sub $300 Magnavox is alright for Joe Six pack.;)

http://www.audioholics.com/news/on-location-articles/editorial-denon-line-show-2008/DenonLS200816.jpg/image

vs.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13840205&postcount=51
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13840211&postcount=52
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13840222&postcount=53
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13840236&postcount=54
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13840293&postcount=55

To anyone that buys the Denon, be sure to pop the hood on that guy and see how it compares to the Magnavox pictured in the links above.:D

I just realized, this is controversial.:eek:

Last edited:
tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Honestly when i saw this new denon blu-ray player i knew it was going to be crap.. I am not surprised to find out its a funai/magnobox/phoolips underneath

Personally it comes down to the Sony BDP-S550 or the Pioneer BD-51FD (pseudo elite) blu-ray players.

Is it me or is denon's face plates not as shiny black as they used to be and has more of flat (blah) look to it now.:confused:

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Aaaaaargh!!!!!

This sux!!:mad: Still no word on a Pre/pro for Joe Microbrew!:( Marantz’s AV-8003 pre/pro seems a little lacking in features to compete with the Onkyo/Integra pre/pros.:(

H

HeXetic

Audiophyte
So when are we going to see the full specs on these receivers on the Denon website? And how about some tentative release dates?

I'm looking to upgrade my aging, HDMI-less, but still functioning-fine Sony receiver to take advantage of my PS3's new audio outputs, but a critical question for me is size (in particular, depth), and I've noticed unfortunately that most of the Denon line is very deep. Although the specs of even the current x88 models are great, some physical dimensions on the mid/low models like the 789 would be really nice to help me decide whether Denon will fit my needs. If they can shave off an inch or two, I'm there.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Look to Marantz for performance when cabinet depth is a factor. They are 16" deep, if memory serves me correct, on all their recent models.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
This sux!!:mad: Still no word on a Pre/pro for Joe Microbrew!:( Marantz’s AV-8003 pre/pro seems a little lacking in features to compete with the Onkyo/Integra pre/pros.:(
What do you expect from a company that rebadges an el-cheapo Funai Blu-ray player and marks it up to ridiculous prices?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Dana Point ROCKS! I went ocean fishing there with some work buddies, paid for by work. We got a project done on time and 100% functional and the customer was so pleased, they setup the trip for us. It is a wonderful little town.

majorloser

majorloser

All I want to know is how to pronouce the company's name! :D

T

terror_beast

Audioholic Intern
Great write up! Clearly, the Audyssey technologies are the big addition to the feature set this year. It should be noted though that Onkyo is adding these same Audyssey technologies to their newest receivers (the TX-SR576 and TX-SR606 for example) so Denon won't be the only receiver company to be offering them ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis