3D Movies - Savior of Movie Theaters?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Lately, we're seeing more and more about 3D movies being released. Many directors (most notably James Cameron who directed such greats as Aliens, The Terminator and definitely did NOT direct anything about any boat sinking because that would just be wrong) and studios (Pixar for instance) are pushing for their movies to be in 3D. But is this really the savior of the multiplex and more importantly, does it need saving?

Discuss "3D Movies - Savior of Movie Theaters?" here. Read the article.

A

Alex at SVS

Audioholic Intern
I kinda think so. I know a lot of people who would just rather wait for DVD than pay the elaborate cost of movies theaters (my experience renting is always cheaper). This is getting even more of a problem with larger screens and better sound as I didn't spend an arm and a leg on my setup, but I also have better sound than my local theater.

Granted, 3D movies can only save movie theaters if the technology to bring that into the home doesn't develop too fast for it to be really profitable in theaters.

C

chris6878

Audioholic
I paid 15 to see beowulf in 3d and would gladly do it again. It was an awesome experience. I found myself ducking and dodging as I watched the movie.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
3D in general gives me a headache (similar to Imax) and I truly feel it is usually (read: historically) applied to those movies who would not have had any other chance to make $ if that gimmick was not used. I will have to wait and see how Pixar makes use of it and what technology develops from it. They would probably be the only hope to properly apply it.

As far as Beowulf is concerned, go rent the "older" version (Beowulf and Grendel - circa 2005) which follows more closely to the original story and done in a more classic sense. Looking back I doubt any true Sci-Fi or Fantasy Buffs will consider Beowulf (2007) a success. I rented it, and yeah it was a neat idea (CGI ) but the story and acting was an absolute abomination. Not quite up there with the greats.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
What movies are they releasing in 3D? This is the first I heard of it.

And I think movie theaters are doing fine. Some movies just have to be seen on the big screen with a great sound system.

And pricewise, movies are still one of the best entertainment family values out there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis