dts to Switch Focus to Consumers

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When dts released their quarterly earnings, they also announced a new focus - solely on their consumer market. They have sold both their Digital Cinema business (closed on My 9th for $3.3 million) and Digital Images (on April 4th for $7.5 million). dts could earn up to $11.7 million in "additional consideration" over the next few years based on the terms of the Digital Cinema sale. What was most interesting about the announcement was that dts is continuing it's mantra of "focusing on the consumer market." Apparently that means getting completely out of the traditional theater and focusing on home theaters.

Discuss "dts to Switch Focus to Consumers" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
That sounds like a great plan to me. Hopefully we can see some PS3 games with in game dts-hd ma now that the PS3 can decode it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That sounds like a great plan to me. Hopefully we can see some PS3 games with in game dts-hd ma now that the PS3 can decode it.
Yeah, now that we have DTS-MA internal decoders, it's all good.:D

Home theater is where all the money is. Now it's time to sit back and enjoy all the HD sounds (DTS-MA, TrueHD, and PCM). Life is good.:)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, now that we have DTS-MA internal decoders, it's all good.:D

Home theater is where all the money is. Now it's time to sit back and enjoy all the HD sounds (DTS-MA, TrueHD, and PCM). Life is good.:)
Have you checked out Live Free Of Die Hard in dts-ma yet? If not, that should be all it takes to convince people why everyone should be getting excited about uncompressed audio.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have you checked out Live Free Of Die Hard in dts-ma yet? If not, that should be all it takes to convince people why everyone should be getting excited about uncompressed audio.
Ooh, yeah, I need to check that out tonight. I checked out "I, Robot" DTS-MA last night and it was great.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
DTS & Dolby

I've been a DTS fan over Dolby for years. DTS seems more punchy in overall sound and adds a bit more bas. But honestly I'm not sure of that's a utero effect of having read that DTS acheives that since it records at higher frequencies than Dolby or if it's legitimate superior sounds that I hear. I did read an article where a side by side DTS vs Dolby "blind test" (the listeners did nt know which format they were listening to) and the results were no audiable differences in quality sound. I'm still a DTS fan and wants to see their success. I'd even like DTS to take over Dolby but I know that won't happen.

Last edited:
MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic

No doubt that's a superb movie to test sound with...

I Robot too for AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, goodness gracious. Okay, last night I watched DH4 DTSMA again. It was indeed wonderful. Afterwards, I saw Independence Day DTSMA. It was CRAZY. It blew DH4 away! It made Transformers sound like MONO 1.0.:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Guess what movie will be going in my blockbuster online queue next :D

Of course there is a long wait for it... BB needs to step up and add more copies of blu ray discs now that the format war is over, also add more blu rays to thier in store selection which would also help push the format into more homes. They have a nice looking 42" Sony 1080p tv with a ps3 playing blu ray movies where you walk in, so hopefully that will get more people on the blu bandwagon.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Id4

Guess what movie will be going in my blockbuster online queue next :D
I think my walls were shaking the very first second "ID4" starts!

I was constantly eyeing my new GLASS rack with all my Denons on them!

It made me very, very NERVOUS!

Damn, the "ID4" DTS-MA soundtrack is out of this world!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Can't wait to hear it... maybe there will be a War Of The Worlds dts-hd ma track someday that will be even more bassy than ID4.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Your wife must hate you when you watch movies like that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Your wife must hate you when you watch movies like that.
**hee**hee
Yeah, she hates BASS.

Sorry, but GOTTA have BASS.:D

I'm sure TrueHD & LPCM sound just as good, but for some reasons, I'm just a lot more excited about DTS-MA movies.:D

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I didn't realize DTS was a company like Dolby, I thought it was just a type of sound processing.

*shrugs* DTS doesn't work on my X-Box anyway.

itschris

itschris

I'm suddenly concerned for my life. I just realized that sitting about 6 feet away from the soon to arrive Def Tech 7002's is a 50" wide 80" tall brand new glass curio cabinet with all of our priceless art glass. I think I better double and triple check that the shelves are 100% secure. If just one of the pieces topples and breaks... even chips... she'll push my tv, speakers, and everything else of mine she can get her hands on - while I try to get up from from the swift kick to my grapes - into the pool.

I never thought I'd be scared of a surround sound format.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I'm suddenly concerned for my life. I just realized that sitting about 6 feet away from the soon to arrive Def Tech 7002's is a 50" wide 80" tall brand new glass curio cabinet with all of our priceless art glass. I think I better double and triple check that the shelves are 100% secure. If just one of the pieces topples and breaks... even chips... she'll push my tv, speakers, and everything else of mine she can get her hands on - while I try to get up from from the swift kick to my grapes - into the pool.

You need a dedicated home theater room (preferably far, far away from any room with anything your wife cares about), so your wife's prized possessions will (hopefully) be safe in a different room. If your wife has Biblical moral values ("an eye for an eye," etc.), then you destroying whatever it is that your wife loves may make her feel quite justified in destroying whatever it is that you love. It is best not to put such matters to the test.

I am lucky, in that my wife does not collect breakable glass objects, and we have a dedicated home theater room (which my wife likes almost as much as I do). But if she did have such things, I would treat her things with the same care that I want her to treat my things.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Yeah, why did you think I bought a new glass rack?:D

I was afraid my old one would break one day SOON.

The amount of bass from DTS-MA (also TrueHD/LPCM) that is being unleashed is unbelievable. I feel the walls shaking even before I hear the loud earthquake-like bass! My wife feels the walls in our bedroom shaking from 2 rooms away!:D

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
I hate to be a grammar/spelling Nazi, Tom, but the company is spelled in all capital letters, DTS, not dts, despite their logo. Also, the high resolution audio codec is DTS-HD MA, not DTS MA. There are two forms of DTS-HD audio, high resolution (HR) and master audio (MA).

Sorry, that just really bothered me.

On-topic: Lowry Digital Images was freakin' sweet. I'm really surprised they sold it off after they just acquired the company a little while back. They do the best restorations in the business, bar none. That's why all the perfectionists like George Lucas will only let them touch their babies.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hate to be a grammar/spelling Nazi, Tom, but the company is spelled in all capital letters, DTS, not dts, despite their logo. Also, the high resolution audio codec is DTS-HD MA, not DTS MA. There are two forms of DTS-HD audio, high resolution (HR) and master audio (MA).

Sorry, that just really bothered me.

On-topic: Lowry Digital Images was freakin' sweet. I'm really surprised they sold it off after they just acquired the company a little while back. They do the best restorations in the business, bar none. That's why all the perfectionists like George Lucas will only let them touch their babies.
George Lucas is a lousy director and writer IMO. He should just stick to producing IMO.

The reason we all say DTS-MA is because we are so tired of writing "DTS-HD MA".

On the BD players, it only says "DTS HD".

I wish they would say "DTS MA or DTS HR" instead.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis