Psystar Mac Clone Changes Name Amid Apple Controversy

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Psystar, the little company out of Miami Florida unveiled its Hackintosh now dubbed; Open Computer (previously named OpenMac). It's a PC that runs OS X 10.5 (aka Leopard) completely outside support from Apple. Somewhere an alarm is sounding at Apple awakening the legal team.

Discuss "Psystar Mac Clone Changes Name Amid Apple Controversy" here. Read the article.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Psystar may want to be proactive and contact Kurt Denke of Blue Jeans Cable.

Interestingly, but not suprisingly, yesterday when I read about this company and their offering I could not access the website. Today it is slow. Seems like a nice alternative though. At least for the next two weeks until Steve has them shut down!

Poor little guys

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Apple has good reason to be so tough on this. They tried letting others make macs in the 90's and it darn near ruined the company. I still have a power computing mac somewhere in storage. Apple is a hardware company that makes some software. The money Apple makes is from hardware sales. One of the reasons that OS X is rock solid is because Apple has such tight control of how the software interacts with the hardware. I have no love for Jobs, however I have not had a single software issue with OS X since jaguar. I can not say that about any windows machine I own, have owned or worked on; EVER!!

of course being unix based certainly helps with OS X stability.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
They had to be from Miami!:D I'm surprised it didn't run on green plantains and croquetas.

B

billchase

Audiophyte
Before anyone considers sending these guys money for a system, please check gizmodo.com. They have story about Psystar possibly being a hoax.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
On the other hand I don't think it would really be such a bad thing to let someone like Dell offer a PC that Apple would support OS X on. So long as they could maintain strict hardware requirements and be up front about what is and is not supported it might not be such a bad thing. People hate Vista and are just looking for a way to switch.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis