Harman/Kardon AVR-147

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
With slick and modern aesthetics, conservative power rating and quality digital signal processing, the Harman/Kardon AVR-147 full featured A/V receiver.

Discuss "Harman/Kardon AVR-147 " here. Read the article.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
would love to see the "benched" amp out put specs for this. I have a buddy who is slowly upgrading his system.This looks like a "short-lister" for his budget

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Well I have to mention that for this to be coming in as a "first look" it is a little late: been out for over a year. Most of the time the products which get a first look are only out for a month or so; however those seem to be -predictably- Yamaha units.

Anyway Audioholics always tells the truth, can't knock 'em for that. In fact I have yet to remember any BS in the coverage no matter what the offering.

HK will no doubt be coming out with replacement offerings very soon or at least be updating firmware for these units. Oh wait a minute they did that for the 247 and 347 receiver lines (HDMI and processing upgrades) on March 5th this year!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Before comparing HK receivers to others, two things to keep in mind.

1. They specify all channel driven power output. They have also started providing 2 (Stereo) channel driven output numbers. That being said, in a couple of bench tests that I have read, they actually produce lower outputs in 1, 2, even 5 channel driven tests than competing (in terms of price) Yamaha and Denon products. I would love to see the 147 bench test against say a Denon 1508. I would bet the 1508 has higher 1, 2 channel output but in par or slightly less in 5 channel driven output.

2. If you are in Canada, they are not really that affordable, e.g. $899.99 for a 347, and the last year model 146 now on sale for $349.99 ($449.99 before sale). That compares to the Amazon.com prices of $223.95 for the 146 and 508.95 for the 347. So be careful Canadians!

G

Gary Pavlovich

Audiophyte
Harman Kardon AVR247 vs. Onkyo brand - best sound/video?

I am new to the world of audiophonics and have heard much touted praise about the Harman Kardon AVR247 & 347's and read many reviews on the Onkyo line, particularly the Onkyo 605 model.

The Onkyo 605 seems to have better features such as 1.3 processing and "high amperage (36) power" which the Harman Kardon has used for years; the question is which is the better sound/video quality receiver that does its job well?

Any objective and subjective information is helpful as I have a new in the box AVR 247 that I am considering selling.

Thank you,
Gary

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Before comparing HK receivers to others, two things to keep in mind.

1. They specify all channel driven power output. They have also started providing 2 (Stereo) channel driven output numbers. That being said, in a couple of bench tests that I have read, they actually produce lower outputs in 1, 2, even 5 channel driven tests than competing (in terms of price) Yamaha and Denon products. I would love to see the 147 bench test against say a Denon 1508. I would bet the 1508 has higher 1, 2 channel output but in par or slightly less in 5 channel driven output.

2. If you are in Canada, they are not really that affordable, e.g. $899.99 for a 347, and the last year model 146 now on sale for $349.99 ($449.99 before sale). That compares to the Amazon.com prices of $223.95 for the 146 and 508.95 for the 347. So be careful Canadians!
We've done this before but those H/K's can be had for a lot less money after they have been refurbed by H/K and the warranty is full. To me that is the real price. For example I say the AVR 146 can be had for about $150 to your door. So if you're gonna compare it to something in terms of price, you gotta find another rec'r for $150. Good luck with that.

-Alex

A

aseidman00

Audiophyte
Harman Kardon 347 vs. Denon 1908

what can someone tell me about these differences between these recievers ? which one would you go for and why ? I can get the HKK for a few bucks less than the Denon.. but which one is the better receiver ?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
what can someone tell me about these differences between these recievers ? which one would you go for and why ? I can get the HKK for a few bucks less than the Denon.. but which one is the better receiver ?
IMHO, the 347. More power, has pre-outs.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
We've done this before but those H/K's can be had for a lot less money after they have been refurbed by H/K and the warranty is full. To me that is the real price. For example I say the AVR 146 can be had for about $150 to your door. So if you're gonna compare it to something in terms of price, you gotta find another rec'r for $150. Good luck with that.

-Alex
I like HK products too I am just saying that they cost much more than comparable (refurb to refurb,new to new for a fair comparison) receivers available in Canada. If you are not in Canada then my comments does not apply to you at all and there would not even be any argument/disagreement. Ultimately you have your opinion and I have mine so let's leave it at that.....

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I like HK products too I am just saying that they cost much more than comparable (refurb to refurb,new to new for a fair comparison) receivers available in Canada. If you are not in Canada then my comments does not apply to you at all and there would not even be any argument/disagreement. Ultimately you have your opinion and I have mine so let's leave it at that.....
You know what? You're right. You even said "If you live in Canada" in the first post. I think I may be having my first period. You guys up there should consider moving on account of the prices alone, never mind the weather. We could put you guys up in the Dakotas. I'm allowed to poke a little fun seeing as how I'm a citizen and my father lives in TO.

Here's a list of AVR 347 completed listings from lowest to highest to show what they can be had for.
http://search-completed.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-AVR-347_W0QQcatrefZC5QQdfspZ1QQfclZ3QQfisZ2QQfromZR32QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ34QQsacatZQ2d1QQsbrsrtZd

S

ScrubbBussy

Enthusiast
If you dont care about HDMI the AVR 240 has preouts and a higher power rating you can also get it for a lot less than even the 147

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis