LCD Leading Way in Rapidly Growing HDTV Market

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Leading industry market research says LCD display shipments and HDTV subscription customers will double by 2012. The independent research data and adjustments in leading display manufacturer’s business strategies spell out LCD domination of the display market for the next four years.

Discuss "LCD Leading Way in Rapidly Growing HDTV Market" here. Read the article.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I liked the original article title better, "Plasma TV Reels in it's Death Throes." But I understand the need to be PC after the last article.

Jack:D

1tribeca

Audioholic
Bothered! LCD leading the sales race over plasma isn't earth shattering news. I'm waiting to get some more details about the final Elite panel this summer, then I'm buying...either the current PRO-110, or the yet-to-be released plasma from Pioneer. Gotta figure it's lifespan will be long enough to last until there is a better (affordable) technolgy on the market so I can avoid watching TV on a computer mon...er...sorry LCD. YUCK!

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
The benefits of Off-Air antennas are compelling. There is only so much room on cable or satellite bandwidth in which to squeeze signal, so data is compressed to fit, resulting in a somewhat "soft" picture. An OTA signal is the gold standard in digital reception because it's almost completely uncompressed and also FREE.
I appreciate the info. As an opinionated HT writer I like the idea of promoting OTA any chance I get. I could have spun it into a pro-OTA rant.

I think a lot of people just assume they have to get Cable or Satellite just because they need an HDTV signal. A lot of articles that I've read that discuss ideas like the 'chain' of HDTV video signals will include an HD-ready digital or satellite receiver in the chain. That's not true as you pointed out.

Thanks and I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
Wayde

1tribeca

Audioholic
Does anyone know of any trusty brands or models of antenna to pick up the aforementioned OTA very well?

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Does anyone know of any trusty brands or models of antenna to pick up the aforementioned OTA very well?
A few of my friends use the $20 Phillips antenna you can get at Target. I'm using a Radio Shack model that was ~$30. Honestly the best results I've seen were just using a cheap fm antenna. The kind supplied with most recievers that has two wires you pin to the wall on one end and a push on coax attachment at the other end. Don't believe anyone who says you cant get a digital signal with those. I've used it and got ~35 channels, all digital. I just finally went for one with a signal boost because I'm in a basement apartment and would loose certain channels when the weather was bad. (BTW, I get the exact same channels with or without the powered 'hdtv' antenna)

Jack

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
A few of my friends use the $20 Phillips antenna you can get at Target. I'm using a Radio Shack model that was ~$30. Honestly the best results I've seen were just using a cheap fm antenna. The kind supplied with most recievers that has two wires you pin to the wall on one end and a push on coax attachment at the other end. Don't believe anyone who says you cant get a digital signal with those. I've used it and got ~35 channels, all digital. I just finally went for one with a signal boost because I'm in a basement apartment and would loose certain channels when the weather was bad. (BTW, I get the exact same channels with or without the powered 'hdtv' antenna)
I agree with Jack Hammer to the extent that you should try the simple cheap antennnas first. Often rabbit ears do the job. They should be able to receive UHF signals (channels 14-69) because that is where most digital TV broadcasts are. A simple FM folded dipole wire antenna may work OK if you are close enought to strong signals, but it is not designed to pick up UHF channels.

The problem is that TV reception varies considerably depending on the distance from your home to the broadcast tower, your elevation, and the local terrain around your home. For example, you might be on a hillside that blocks reception. Tall buildings and trees also can have an effect. So, a one size fits all type of answer for an antenna can be misleading. Too much depends on your own local situation.

For myself, I've had very good results with a Wineguard Squareshooter SS-1000 antenna. It's small (about the same size as a satellite dish) and can mounted almost anywhere. I put mine in my attic and installed a rotor so I can pickup both Washington, DC and Baltimore signals.

Try to avoid using the powered or amplified antennas if you can. They can be trouble, but sometimes you need them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis