Onkyo Discontinues HD DVD Players

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Onkyo Corporation has decided that Onkyo will discontinue the development and production of HD DVD players. Onkyo has distributed and sold approximately 2000 units of the HD DVD players in the selected markets due to the growth of the large screen display market and high demand for home entertainment media. Onkyo has reached its decision to discontinue the development and production of HD DVD players after thorough review of Toshiba’s public announcement “Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses” on February 19, 2008.

Discuss "Onkyo Discontinues HD DVD Players" here. Read the article.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder what they're going to do with all those Onkyo badges?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Go ahead and laugh.
Right now some kid in Ethiopia is running around in a "Patriots Super Bowl Champions" shirt with an Onkyo HD DVD emblem glued to it feeling pretty good about himself. :eek:

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Speaking of the super bowl this week one client sent me an official super bowl program, another sent me an autographed super bowl Giant pennant, while today a third sent me a Giants super bowl champion hat. It is well known that I have been a Giants fan for a very long time. My old boss from my public accounting days when I was a tax manager called a week back as well with congratulations as well as thanks on behalf of the old Dolphins.:D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Onkyo Corporation has decided that Onkyo will discontinue the development and production of HD DVD players. Onkyo has distributed and sold approximately 2000 units of the HD DVD players in the selected markets due to the growth of the large screen display market and high demand for home entertainment media. Onkyo has reached its decision to discontinue the development and production of HD DVD players after thorough review of Toshiba’s public announcement “Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses” on February 19, 2008.

Discuss "Onkyo Discontinues HD DVD Players" here. Read the article.
When did Onkyo make players?

Heck... When did any major CE manufacturer other than Toshiba make a HD DVD only player?

ANSWER: NOBODY!

Geez, it's just insane to bother reporting. I think it's far more significant that LG has said that they are going to continue to walk down the silly path of dual format players... Makes no sense at all except they likely will have a few diehard HD DVD fanatics who aren't interested in owning two separate players and buy a combo so they can enjoy the 50 or so HD DVDs they already wast.. er... spent their money on.

We need a full writeup of how Microsoft will no longer put badges on... Or, wait - are we calling that manufacturing? I'm confused.

Anyway - the article on Microsoft discontinuing HD DVD add-ons will follow in short order.

NEWFLASH: When Toshiba stops making players then RCA, Onkyo, Integra, and Microsoft all cease production as well.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
This part is important too:

While Onkyo has been an enthusiastic supporter of the HD DVD format, it was not an exclusive relationship. Onkyo’s research and development teams have maintained a parallel development program for the competing Blu-ray technology.
It's probable that Onkyo will release a Blu-ray player, under their own R&D, before the end of the year.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
I'm surprised they were able to move even 2000 units.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Hopefully, Onkyo will at least release a BD-Live (profile 2.0) compliant Blu-Ray player unlike their buddies Marantz, Denon and Pioneer (1st one couldn't even play CD's) who believe in going for the double/triple dip of a 1.1 now with 2.0 to follow later.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis