Mitsubishi trademarks - LAZRTV, LOL

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Mitsubishi unveiled its Laser HDTV at CES last month and we have a good idea what the company is going to call its new line. Taking a nod from the text messaging dialect known as L33T SPEAK, Mits has trademarked LAZRTV – yes, that’s all caps.

Discuss "Mitsubishi trademarks - LAZRTV, LOL" here. Read the article.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
The public will see this as a step down, where's the novelty of hanging it on the wall?:D It might have a catchy name, though it kinda looks like LIZRD TV. Good technology, bad timing. I thought that lazer TVs were supposed to be about an inch thick only.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Contrary to what you've written, 1337 speak didn't originate from text messaging (assuming you're referring to mobile phone messaging).

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I remember using l33t speak back in 1993-94 during my mudding day's. So it's been around for a while.

As for LAZRTV. It looks cool. But I won't be buying a Rear projection TV any time soon. I'd rather get the next gen plasma or LCD...that's like 5-9mm thick.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Biggiesized -

This wasn't meant to be about the history of l337 speak, just about the LAZR and it's dated naming convention.

I believe the so-called leet speak form came out of early users of Unix, particularly those using the SCO flavor, but I'm sure each has their own version.

I remember when writing names in all lower case held a sense of pride because it meant that unix users recognized each other over the noise of the DOS newcomers to text based operating systems.

It carried over to IRC chat, then to IMing, then to texting... the form is pretty logical, just the use of shortcuts in language. I don't see it as anything diabolical as many do.

I think it's pretty funny to see it come full circle now to where we have major corporations copyrighting a dialect that was invented teenagers in the late 1970s and now using it for multi-million dollar marketing push.

I remember reading how laser TVs were supposed to be able to be quite thin as well - but have yet to see one act on this claim.

rumonkey2

rumonkey2

Junior Audioholic
I think it's pretty funny to see it come full circle now to where we have major corporations copyrighting a dialect that was invented teenagers in the late 1970s and now using it for multi-million dollar marketing push.

Could it be that it is these teenagers running the companies now????

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis