Toshiba HD-A35 HD DVD Player

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Some may say that the Toshiba HD-A35 is the last of a dying breed as it is the current top-of-the line HD DVD player. With the Warner’s recent shift over to the Blu-ray camp, it may very well be. Of course, HD DVD will live on for a while longer and there are still a couple of larger movie studios backing the format. If you have a small library of HD DVDs, and are looking for a 1080p player that supports 24p or deep color, look no further. Since this format looks like it just might fade away, we’re guessing you’ll probably find a pretty good deal on the HD-A35, as well.

Discuss "Toshiba HD-A35 HD DVD Player" here. Read the article.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Lastly, I'd like to talk about the video resolution. Options are available from 480i all the way up to 1080p. Not only can you select 1080p, but you can chose 1080p/24Hz. Other than support for Deep Color, this is the main feature this HD player offers over its little brother, the HD-A30.
This is Audioholics! (This needs to be corrected.) The A30 does 1080p/24. The upgrades of the A35 over the A30 are ability to bitstream high res audio and the analog out connections.

kicknsupra

kicknsupra

Audioholic
if i can find one cheap say 200 or less i might buy one just so i can have the
analog out connections.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
This is Audioholics! (This needs to be corrected.) The A30 does 1080p/24. The upgrades of the A35 over the A30 are ability to bitstream high res audio and the analog out connections.
Forgive my error... I am certain that I had read that the A35 was the only unit to support 24p and deep color. However, I did just check the Toshiba web site, and the two items you listed are correct, according to the specifications. I'll see if I can get my hands on an A30 in the next day or so to confirm this, and I'll get the article updated. Thanks for the catch!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
can you also hear a whirring sound even from about 2-3 feet away from the player?

is it the fan? or is the the disc spinning?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know about the A35 but you can hear the A3 and A30 from several feet away. I think it is the fan.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know about the A35 but you can hear the A3 and A30 from several feet away. I think it is the fan.
thanks. was worried mine was defective.

what a crappy fan they put in.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I think it's defective PENG. My A3 is whisper quiet.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think it's defective PENG. My A3 is whisper quiet.
That is strange, I have had the A3 for a few days, it was noisy like my 47LX196 with or without a disc in it. I replaced it with the A30 and it sounds just about the same. Not super noisy but definitely not whisper quiet. Both players played DVD and HDDVD flawlessly. Either I just happened to end up with two defective units (the fan) or you are so lucky to have an exceptionally quiet one.:)

On another note, I read through everything available on the Toshiba website and the ony differences I noted between the A30 and the A35 are on the audio side. Is that the reason why you are willing to pay more for the A35? I actually think I made a mistake paying $50 more for the A30. The A3 is every bit as good because there is no clear advantage of the 1080p output unless the TV can do 1080p 24.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I never noticed my A3 making any fan noises.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis