Heath Ledger Ghoul Stands: Tragedy on DVD or Blu-ray

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Have you seen the laser-printer memorials to Heath Ledger at the local DVD retailer? Only a week ago I barely knew who Ledger was, but those displays make me sick! I remember when CDs were still an exciting new technology, just becoming mainstream. It was about the time Kurt Cobain died under tragic circumstances. In no time, a local hepster record store got out some colored magic markers and drew up a cute likeness of the grunge rocker. The handmade drawing was used in an oh-so-hip sign atop a shelf dealing in bargain-priced copies of Nevermind and In Utero.

Discuss "Heath Ledger Ghoul Stands: Tragedy on DVD or Blu-ray" here. Read the article.

You know what's weird... I almost didn't notice how bad this was until I thought about it. Our culture is really deadening us to this type of exploitation.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah Wayde: a sector of society utterly devoid of principle and consideration. I think a boycott of those retailers is fitting...a boycott that lasts until his family can truly have peace. "Marketing at any cost" it seems is their rule. Perhaps the decendants of all the corporate officers, management and staff should have their names dragged through the mud in a similiar fashion. Some people never learn, and some people have no moral compass...and that cannot simply be taught in a class.

So you have "never seen Brokeback Mountain."? Neither have I, but perhaps the emphasis isn't necessary here. He was in other notable films as well: The Patriot, The Order and some others. An up and coming premier actor. Despite my past allusions to homo phobes, I may very well go see (or buy) Brokeback. He's received stellar reviews for his part, and his family (or Trust) will receive the residuals. Rest in Peace.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
It's despicable, whether the person is a movie star or not, it's a shameless act.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have always been amazed by how short the interval is between someone famous dying and a book being published about them. No doubt a book about Heath will be available within a week, if it is not already.

Thaedium

Thaedium

Audioholic
This sort of thing has been going on for years, its not just a recent thing in the last decade. Princess Diana is a pretty good example of this. People have been exploiting other people for thousands of years.

I think its admirable that you feel that way these days, and I think its good for any of us to check ourselves before we blatantly exploit others and their misfortunes. The world is no more a hellhole today then it was 20 years ago, or 50, or 100, or a 1000. You've just become more conciously aware of the wrongness in this sort of thing thats all. And it speaks well of you and the kind of person you are.

I believe however that while feeling appauled by it is one thing, unless you take measures such as Johnd has mentioned, and become an activist in this regard then you really aren't trying to affect some fundamental changes in the way society interacts these days. I'm guilty of being a pacifist in this regard as well, and I really can't offer any solutions myself. I suppose though, all it takes is one really good leader to get people on board and to make a difference.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
So you have "never seen Brokeback Mountain."?
The bold emphasis is only because it's a hot topic I am hearing around the watercooler lately. People will ask... have you seen BBM? The macho guys usually cower. I just think it's funny.

I didn't mean it as a homophobic remark at all. But I did mean what I said about movie cowboys. The only thing that interests me about the movie is it's directed by Ang Lee who I respect, I like a lot of his movies.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
This sort of thing has been going on for years...
Thanks for your kind words Thaedium.

Quick - name a Roman Emporer.

Most people would say Julius Ceasar if for no other reason that he was the one stabbed by Brutus' blade of immortaility. Yes, it's been going on for thousands of years.

I hate to go Oprah on you guys in here, I hear what you're saying about trying to do something about it.

But I think just talking about it goes a long way. It may have never occured to people that it's not in good taste.

Instead of a boycott off the top, I'd start with simply telling the store how you felt about it. Tell a manager or even another customer.

I don't blame people for taking a sudden interest in some of his movies. But we already know which shelf carries them.

Setup a Batman stand at the DVD store when the Dark Knight comes out. It's an event, something we can get behind and get excited about. But turning death into a marketing event is just a form of cannibalism.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
The bold emphasis is only because it's a hot topic I am hearing around the watercooler lately. People will ask... have you seen BBM? The macho guys usually cower. I just think it's funny.

I didn't mean it as a homophobic remark at all. But I did mean what I said about movie cowboys. The only thing that interests me about the movie is it's directed by Ang Lee who I respect, I like a lot of his movies.
My mom saw Brokeback Mountain and said it was very sad. I am not a fan of tearjerkers, so that is the only reason I haven't seen it.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai

Hey Wayde. A little confusion. I quicky detect these things in conversations, and the misunderstanding is readily corrected. Not so fortunate with written discussion.

I did not mean to imply that you made a homophobic comment. Although I understand why you would think that: I put it in the same paragraph. My apologies. You have brought attention to a great young actor who has unfortunately passed long before his time, and how some people take advatage of that tragedy. I tend to ramble a little with my thoughts when I write these posts...and include a lot of my thoughts without first proofing the structure/composition. So I thank you for your report, and apologize for any misunderstanding (due to my writing). I have thoroughly enjoyed (and been informed) all your reports and editorials that I've read. Cheers.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
no problemo JohnD, I was pretty sure I knew where you were coming from, don't worry about misunderstanding.

That's the great thing about forums, they a huge democracy. Their job is to ramble, rant, rave - get it all out there. If anyone misunderstands where someone is coming from, it can all be sorted out with more rants later:)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
My mom saw Brokeback Mountain and said it was very sad. I am not a fan of tearjerkers, so that is the only reason I haven't seen it.
Some reviewer called it a gentle love story. It really was except for the part where one dude was ramming another dude in the rear. Give me a break. In all fairness the movie was sad but I gotta say that once was enough.

I'm genuinely sorry for him, his family and loved ones. His death must be devastating to them. As for the vultures, I'm sure they will have losses of their own to groove on sooner or later.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
There is a slight chance that a store mgr, owner feels bad about his death and is taking note of his passing and feeling odd about selling his films, but has a business to run.
It is a far better chance that it is to draw attention to the event and his body of work to make a buck......and thats sad.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Displays are made for when there are lots of requests for something that becomes popular. Probably after he died people were walking in and asking employees for Heath Ledger movie recommendations and half of them didn't know what movies he has been in other than "that gay cowboy one." Most of his movies weren't that interesting to the majority of people working movie stories. Now they can just say there is a table in front with his movies on it. People become interested in famous people who die. Just wait till Batman comes out.

Honestly, what concerns me more is peoples interest in celebrities struggling in general, which is far more than stores supporting it. For example, people follow Amy Winehouse's drug addiction with almost a sick pleasure. It's creepy to me. The girl is smoking crack and people are spreading videos over the net. I hope she gets better, and people doing such things doesn't help her at all. Or maybe they just haven't been exposed to drug addiction and they want a taste of it. I don't really know. From listening to people talk around campus, it almost seems as if people WANT Ledger's death to be self-inflicted. People lust for this stuff, and it's sad. It makes me worry for my generation. We have time to watch Paris Hilton do a line or something, but don't know what is going on with the election.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis