Subwoofer Connection Guide For A Multi Subwoofer System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We are always preaching the more subs the better in a home theater system. So now that you've decided to purchase two subs, its time to show you how to connect them up properly to ensure you achieve the maximum benefits of a multi sub system. Following the guidelines set forth in this article will help you properly set up a multi-subwoofer system. If done properly, using two or more subs will yield significantly better and smoother bass response for all of the seats in your theater room.

Discuss "Subwoofer Connection Guide For A Multi Subwoofer System" here. Read the article.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
There's one issue that I would have like to seen the article address. Most subs that I've seen have two RCA jacks for input and recommend that you feed both. Since most receivers have only one subwoofer out, you need a Y cable for just one sub. Should you make a custom 4-way splitter for 2 subs? If so, does that affect the level of current that reaches the subs?

Jim

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
There's one issue that I would have like to seen the article address. Most subs that I've seen have two RCA jacks for input and recommend that you feed both. Since most receivers have only one subwoofer out, you need a Y cable for just one sub. Should you make a custom 4-way splitter for 2 subs? If so, does that affect the level of current that reaches the subs?

Jim
Most subwoofers that have two inputs have one labeled MONO or LFE, normally the left channel. Refer to your subwoofers owners manual if it isn't labelled.

If your receiver has only one subwoofer output, you can use a Y RCA cable.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Good point. I have added that into the article with illustrations. I hope this helps.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Thanks, I just checked out my sub (an old Klipsch KSW-10) and one jack was labeled L/LFE. I was told by the salesperson to use a splitter to feed both jacks. I've seen that recommended on some web sites as well.

If you only use the L/LFE, does that mean you only get LFE and left channel bass?

Jim

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I withdraw my previous question. On reflection I realized it was stupid. If there's only one sub out on the receiver, both left and right bass are together.

Jim

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If you only use the L/LFE, does that mean you only get LFE and left channel bass?
The sub will still get whatever signal the receiver is sending it but the input to the sub will be about 6dB lower than it would if you had a y-splitter going into the sub. Some manufacturers recommend the y-splitter to increase the input gain at the sub since it sums the L + R inputs. In most cases you don't need it since most modern receivers can output at least 2VRMS via the sub out which is usually more than enough voltage to drive the sub to full potential.

BobMac

BobMac

Enthusiast
Another Theory

I've read from a few places that a better way to hook up multiple subs is to put them in the middle of a wall on opposite sides of the room. For example, if you have two subs, then one goes in the middle of the wall in front of you and the other goes behind you in the middle of that wall. Four subs would mean two more at your sides in the middle of those walls. Have you experimented with those positions?

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Love it!

I have a 2 sub setup, a HSU VTF-3 HO Turbo, and a HSU MBM-12. Here is the breakdown:

VTF-3 HO Turbo is a big mean 12" 500 watt beast, set to go from 16 Hz to 50Hz.

MDM-12 is DESIGNED to operate from 50 Hz to 150 Hz. It has a lighter, stiffer 12" woofer for punchy mid bass. It sports a 350 watt amp.

My AV system is located in my bedroom, because I'm a wheelchair user, a C 3-4 Quadriplegic, and spend a lot of time in bed. Test placement of the sub wasn't an option, but it does pretty well between the mains (the VTF-3 HO Turbo), while the smaller MBM-12 is across the room next to my bed (perfect near field).

My Emo prepro has a single RCA out for the subwoofer, but has plenty of drive, and a handy adjustment button on the remote. So, using a Y adapter I have run a single cable to each sub. The VTF 3 is set to maximum extension, and the internal crossover is set at 50 Hz, where the MBM-12 picks up duty and is crossed over @ 80 Hz by the Emo.

The result is pretty darn cool. A buddy I meet here on Audioholics (khemist1) is bringing over some test cd's and action movies so we can test this beast. I've got my digicam ready. Will report later!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I've read from a few places that a better way to hook up multiple subs is to put them in the middle of a wall on opposite sides of the room. For example, if you have two subs, then one goes in the middle of the wall in front of you and the other goes behind you in the middle of that wall. Four subs would mean two more at your sides in the middle of those walls. Have you experimented with those positions?
Please re-read the article as I did mention that configuration and even included illustrations. The ideal locations for 2 or 4 subs in a rectangular room are mid point along the side and front/back walls but its often difficult for people to place subs in these locations and people rarely have ideally rectangular rooms.

BobMac

BobMac

Enthusiast
Doh!

Please re-read the article as I did mention that configuration and even included illustrations. The ideal locations for 2 or 4 subs in a rectangular room are mid point along the side and front/back walls but its often difficult for people to place subs in these locations and people rarely have ideally rectangular rooms.
I went back to read the article again this morning and noticed your diagrams. I don't know how I missed them the first time.

J

jar

Audioholic Intern
I have a question I'm having trouble getting anything out of my sub the sub has two inputs a red and white, my receiver has just one plug in now do i need a y cable to go onto sub to plug in both red and white?
Thanks

BobMac

BobMac

Enthusiast
Nope

I have a question I'm having trouble getting anything out of my sub the sub has two inputs a red and white, my receiver has just one plug in now do i need a y cable to go onto sub to plug in both red and white?
Thanks
Nope. Just plug one end of an RCA cable to the sub out on your receiver and plug the other end into either input on the sub.

S

sheedoe

Audiophyte
I currently own the SVS SB12-Plus subwoofer. And I'm thinking about purchasing another sb12-plus or the HSU VTF-3 MK3 with Turbocharger as a second subwoofer. Both of these subwoofer are pretty powerful, but the SVS is compact and may not be as powerful as the larger ported HSU. This may be purely subjective, but which subwoofer would you recommend to go with my sb12-plus. Thanks.

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
If one wants to connect four subwoofers what kind of splitter does one need ? I've only heard talks of a Y-splitter for two subwoofers. Is there a Y-splitter for four subwoofers ?

--Regards,

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
Position of drivers

Perhaps I'm answering my own question here but does the position of the driver matter?

Take "Figure 4. Mid Front/Back Wall Subs (best)" for example. The drivers are facing opposite directions, now if the drivers were facing each other(which would still make it opposite directions) in the Mid Front/Back position does that change anything? The drivers do face each other in "Figure 3. Mid Side Wall Subs (best)".

My initial thought is that it does not matter since frequencies generated from typical subwoofers (below 80 Hz) are omni-directional, but there might be some rule or theory regarding driver alignment, mis-alignment or whatever you may call it regarding the orientation of multiple subs in relation to each other.

I bring this up now as I am seriously considering a multi-sub DIY build and once I start cutting wood there will be no looking back so I better get things right. I am considering both down and front firing builds.

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
I am thinking of adding an Energy S10.3 to my 5.1 set up. I currently have and plan to keep a Mirage Omni-S12. These two subs are not the same, but like first cousins. I would place the Energy in the corner of the opposite side of the room that the Mirage is on. The Mirage is on the front wall between my center and right main. So the Energy would be by the right surround and nearfield.
Would the addition of the Energy be beneficial to my set up? Would I have any potiential phase problems with this placement. I have the Mirage at "0" on the phase switch. Would the Energy have to be at "180"? Or would I have wait and see once its in place.

Thanks

C

Corpsman

Audioholic Intern
I have a similar question as the one above. If I am going to add a second sub to compliment the Klipsch, but the second sub is of poorer quality, how should I set this up? Should the Klipsch be furthest away, with the other being behind the couch? How should I phase them? My receiver asks for distance of sub from the seated position... should I set the distance for the sub furthest away or should I set the distance at 0 and then phase one at 0 and one at 180??

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis