A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Warner's CES announcement of Blu-ray exclusivity has created quite an uproar in the media. Many claim that the HD war has been won by the Blu-ray camp. Does Warner really believe that Blu-ray is the consumer's real choice for high definition, disc based media? It's your turn to vote.

Discuss "Saving HD DVD??" here. Read the article.

J

JackT

Audioholic
So when we're not bemoaning the format war we're posting petitions to prolong it? Seems kind of dumb to me.

J

jotham

Audioholic
I guess my perspective is that I would be willing to switch to Blu-Ray if the following conditions were met.

Mature players with full 2.x capability that are not the PS3
Reasonable prices
Multiformat players ideally so that I could read my HD DVDs
No region encoding.

I don't want to start a flame war but except for content ( a big exception), I just don't see what Blu Ray has for me.

For now, I'll just pick up HD DVDs at fire sale prices and enjoy them until a good multiformat player comes out that I can afford.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for sharing with us that there is an on line petition.:D

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Well, there's still DVD vs BD. BD has not won yet.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Well, there's still DVD vs BD. BD has not won yet.
Agreed, as well there will be at least another year of HD DVD movies (possibly another 100 to choose from).

And it is like someone else said, 'it is not like your movies are going to turn to dust'.

Although, IMO, the petition is pretty useless.
Granted, I have seen one time where a movie studio did pay attention to the on-line petition (when they decided to make a movie)
(make that twice, as I recall they did do something similar for the show Dead Like Me, which is now to be made into a movie, through MGM)
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt1079444/
ended up with 68,000 signatures - http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dlm1218

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
I signed the petition!

I have both players, but enjoy my hd-dvd player more.. much faster than my sony blu-ray.

Eventually dual-format players will be the future "universal" player and hd-dvd will continue on.

No reason not to continue to buy hd-dvd movies.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
even star trek enterprise could not be saved by petitions and fans chipping in money to produce more eps :)

but I signed the 'let hd dvd die' petition even though I just bought a 500 dollar hd dvd player. :)

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
The customers have chosen, and the vast majority didn't choose HD-DVD.

S

shamus

Junior Audioholic
The customers have chosen, and the vast majority didn't choose HD-DVD.
I've ignored Audioholics biased view of the format war for quite sometime, but this is a little too much for me.
I've always come here for the great reviews, but with articles like this, I just don't trust this site anymore.

Please remove me from your membership.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I've ignored Audioholics biased view of the format war for quite sometime, but this is a little too much for me.
I've always come here for the great reviews, but with articles like this, I just don't trust this site anymore.

You really give up too easy over nothing. But, not a problem. Just stop posting and you will be history.:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You really give up too easy over nothing. But, not a problem. Just stop posting and you will be history.:D
What history? 70 posts in more time on this site then me.

Good riddance.

SheepStar

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai

How is it biased?

Equal space was given for both the "let it live" petition and the "let it die" petition. This is an announcement about the petition....quite an unusual thing, it is not a free for all vote of HD v BD...who do you want to win poll. Sheeesh.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja

It was an EDITORIAL, but if you must go, bye.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
The real question is:

would it be a "shame" that Shamus is leaving the house??

N

naisphoo

Banned

Let's do it together then...
Please remove me from your membership too. I'm tired of hdvd this and that. I'm tired of your free ad for xbox and m$...this site is so biased.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
So when we're not bemoaning the format war we're posting petitions to prolong it? Seems kind of dumb to me.
You obviously like paying $30 a disc rather than enjoying BOGO free sales.

I love this format war. IMHO it should continue at least until Blu-Ray manufacturers quit trying to fleece the consumer and release profile 2.0 standalones under $200.

Audioholics is far from being pro Blu-Ray or pro HD-DVD. They think both are a waste of time and money.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/10-reasons-why-high-definition-dvd-formats-have-already-failed

J

JackT

Audioholic
You obviously like paying $30 a disc rather than enjoying BOGO free sales.

I love this format war. IMHO it should continue at least until Blu-Ray manufacturers quit trying to fleece the consumer and release profile 2.0 standalones under $200.

Audioholics is far from being pro Blu-Ray or pro HD-DVD. They think both are a waste of time and money.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/10-reasons-why-high-definition-dvd-formats-have-already-failed
Yeah I'm familiar with that article, mine is comment #24 in that thread btw. Clint's article does NOT agree with you about the format war being a good thing.

Also, nobody ever claimed Audioholics favored one format over the other. Certainly I haven't.

I have always thought that 1) consumers want a Hi-Def disc and 2)that disc would be Blu-Ray. We will see what happens.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis