EMP ECA-4 & ECA-44 Compact Satellite Speaker System Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The EMP ECA-4 / ECA -44 speaker system is a must have solution for any application requiring a compact clutter free and inconspicuously mounted installation. For a limited time, EMP is extending 50% off their MSRP which makes this system even more attractive and a very uncommon value at this price point. So basically $500 gets you 2 pairs of ECA-4s, and 1 ECA-44. I recommend pairing this system with two small but potent subs such as the Yamaha YST-FSW150 (or equivalent from other manufacturers) and you’ve got a “cubed speaker system” killer for under $1k. Highly recommended!

Discuss " EMP ECA-4 & ECA-44 Compact Satellite Speaker System Review" here. Read the article.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hmmmm... *ponders the recommendation of using two Yamaha slim-fit subwoofers*... could it be that AH sells this little subwoofer?:D

Just curious, will RBH allow AH to sell their products here?

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Excellent review. It clearly shows your commitment to keeping the web site content separate from your retail store.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
:confused: The one you linked as the down firing is the slimfit and the other marked as the slim fit is the down firing. I think maybe the descriptions are a tad confused, another small quirk with the store.:)
No they're not.

SheepStar

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
No they're not.

SheepStar
Ok, nevermind I see that. I was just looking at the downfiring subwoofer thinking to myself, it looks like a slim fit, because of it's odd shape. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

C

cmaehler

Audiophyte
3.1 set up

How would this system be with a 3.1 setup, I don't wan the rears.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
How would this system be with a 3.1 setup, I don't wan the rears.
Are you saying you want to run only LCR's but no surrounds at all or you already have surrounds that you wish to use with these?

It depends on what speakers you already have but as long as you add at least 1 sub, you will achieve satisfactory sound. Two subs, properly placed will of course yield better results but you can add the additional sub over time.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Excellent review. It clearly shows your commitment to keeping the web site content separate from your retail store.
Yeah, we have a post by Admin linking to a review by Gene, a reply by AH Store Admin1 and a reply by Gene. It begs the question who is generating the posts by Admin and AH Store Admin1.

I have two options here. 1. Stop reading the reviews, or 2. Stop drinking before noon so I keep my mouth shut about such issues so I don't wear out my welcome on the forum.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have two options here. 1. Stop reading the reviews, or 2. Stop drinking before noon so I keep my mouth shut about such issues so I don't wear out my welcome on the forum.
The review threads are auto generated by our site. The Store posts are done by our store admins and partners. I recommend option #1 since you made up your mind about a conspiracy.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The review threads are auto generated by our site. The Store posts are done by our store admins and partners. I recommend option #1 since you made up your mind about a conspiracy.
I haven't made up my mind at all. I like that you're open to answering questions about who posts what. This is the type of transparency that will alleviate such concerns.

P.S. I also like the way you conduct your reviews so it would be hard not to read them.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Cool RBH speakers.

SheepStar
Was my point exactly the moment I saw them. I even went and checked specs - they are Identical to RBH - CT series.

and btw: jnmfox you are noob for 1) breaking forum rules and 2) to be interested to change your speakers to basically same ones and pay the difference.

N

nygren

Enthusiast
use as on-wall speakers for kitchen?

How well are the EMP ECA-4 likely to work as "B" speakers mounted up on the walls in a kitchen in an A/B configuration (with Axiom M22s on the A output)?
My concern would be that the lower sensitivity might make it hard to get
the volume levels equalized in an A+B configuration.
(Dealing with cross-over could also be a little tricky here...
Some of the bleed-over of the 60Hz-100Hz range from the adjacent
room might help some, although things obviously won't be perfect...)

I've also considered the Orbs and the Cambridge Soundworks cubes,
but neither of those claim to go quite as low in frequency, making
the cross-over issues harder. I'd rather not cut holes in the walls
until I redo the kitchen in a few years, so in-wall speakers
and the Axiom W2 are probably out...

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Zone 2

How well are the EMP ECA-4 likely to work as "B" speakers mounted up on the walls in a kitchen in an A/B configuration (with Axiom M22s on the A output)?
My concern would be that the lower sensitivity might make it hard to get
the volume levels equalized in an A+B configuration.
(Dealing with cross-over could also be a little tricky here...
Some of the bleed-over of the 60Hz-100Hz range from the adjacent
room might help some, although things obviously won't be perfect...)

I've also considered the Orbs and the Cambridge Soundworks cubes,
but neither of those claim to go quite as low in frequency, making
the cross-over issues harder. I'd rather not cut holes in the walls
until I redo the kitchen in a few years, so in-wall speakers
and the Axiom W2 are probably out...
Nygren,
The B terminals on most receivers are designed to be used with A OR B and not A AND B. Check if your receiver has a powered zone 2 output to run the kitchen speakers. I would recommend a pair of in-celing speakers for the kitchen with a Volume control located in that room for easy adjustments or to trun the speakers off.

A

audiobug

Audiophyte
Can I buy without the sub ..!!

I would like to buy the EMP 5.1 , but without the sub , I wud like to pair it with a more powerful 10 inch , Do you guyz see it without the sub !!

Thanks

ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
Not sure about EMP

I would like to buy the EMP 5.1 , but without the sub , I wud like to pair it with a more powerful 10 inch , Do you guyz see it without the sub !!

Thanks

Under the RBH brand they make a better sub for this system, either the MS8.1 with one forward and one down firing aluminum driver (very tight!) or an MS10.1 with a single forward firing 10" driver http://rbhsound.com/ctseries.shtml. IMHO, the TS series is pretty weak for an RBH product actually, my clients/installers move one of them for every 10 MS series subs, especially with the equivalent CT series satellites.

Last edited:
ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic

Thanks
See above, the MS10.1 is more than ample for most rooms, they really pack a whollop!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis