MacBook Air, Apple TV and iTunes Movie Rentals among Macworld Announcements

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
At today’s Macworld Jobs demonstrated MacBook Air - the world’s thinnest notebook. But it’s actually more of a wireless device than a legit computer. iTunes movie downloads were also announced which was the perfect segue to Apple’s second shot at the troubled Apple TV dubbed – take two.

Discuss "MacBook Air, Apple TV and iTunes Movie Rentals among Macworld Announcements" here. Read the article.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
There is a 64-gig solid state drive option for the macbook air. Pricey I am sure. I am not sure why anyone would a such a thin notebook. I would be afraid I would break the thing. I will stick with my macbook.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
There is a 64-gig solid state drive option for the macbook air. Pricey I am sure. I am not sure why anyone would a such a thin notebook. I would be afraid I would break the thing. I will stick with my macbook.
That option is $999, ouch. If you are a road warrior three pounds is a lot lighter than six.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
if the macbook already had heat problems, I wonder how this thinner macbook would address it.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
if the macbook already had heat problems, I wonder how this thinner macbook would address it.
I have never had any heat issues with my macbook. I did have a display issue that they tried 3x to fix. They just sent me a new replacement and I got the faster machine too. I can't complain about Apples customer service. I am happy:D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the heat issues are just that ... they're HOT! my brother's 3 dell laptops are cool running in comparison. you can't really put them on your lap. I use an aluminum laptop cooler on my macbook. so it's no longer a "lap"top ... but a "table" top ... honestly, I'm afraid to put it on top of my veneered MDF table for fear of it discoloring. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
The reason for them running too hot is because the internal fan is set to kick in when the machine is already too hot to begin with. The easiest way to remedy this is to download smcFanControl and set the fan parameters yourself. For Macbooks set the fan to run at 2500rpm as default and for the MBP set each of the two fans to 2000rpm default. After you do this the machine will no longer kick into high speed fan anymore unless you are doing something very intensive and it will keep it very cool.

http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/software/smcfancontrol2/index.html

These are one of my unreplaceable apps I install every time I set up a new mac laptop.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
the heat issues are just that ... they're HOT! my brother's 3 dell laptops are cool running in comparison. you can't really put them on your lap. I use an aluminum laptop cooler on my macbook. so it's no longer a "lap"top ... but a "table" top ... honestly, I'm afraid to put it on top of my veneered MDF table for fear of it discoloring. :)
Are you talking about a macbook pro? because my macbook only gets just slightly warm to the touch after many, many hours of use.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I've seen all the news and heard all the stories, but my MacBook runs fairly cool. Never have a problem with heat.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Must be an issue on the earlier models. It was not an issue on my 2.0 core2 duo and not an issue on this 2.2 core2 duo.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
mine's 2.0 core 2 duo as well. IIRC. bought it nov. 2006 at San Fo apple store.

I didn't even know there were fans in this thing (doesn't look like it)

anyway, I use a coolermaster laptop cooler - two fans underneath it :)

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Most the MacBooks & MacBook Pros owned by people in the department are quite warm. As well as quite noisy when the fans decide to do something about it.

This includes laptops from first release to current.

S

seansdadj

Audiophyte
Apple sometimes does very stupid things

I don't know why when people need an Apple tablets like crazy, they go and make useless laptop with no optic drive?

sean

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
I don't know why when people need an Apple tablets like crazy, they go and make useless laptop with no optic drive?

sean
They do it just to piss guys like you off....

:D

just kiddin' around....

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
The reason for them running too hot is because the internal fan is set to kick in when the machine is already too hot to begin with. The easiest way to remedy this is to download smcFanControl and set the fan parameters yourself. For Macbooks set the fan to run at 2500rpm as default and for the MBP set each of the two fans to 2000rpm default. After you do this the machine will no longer kick into high speed fan anymore unless you are doing something very intensive and it will keep it very cool.

http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/software/smcfancontrol2/index.html

These are one of my unreplaceable apps I install every time I set up a new mac laptop.
I assume this can cause problems if you send the unit in for warranty work? :)

My MBP runs VERY hot. Always has. I have a Core Duo version. Both the MacBooks in our house run hot too. As much as I love our Macs, the laptops run hot - I can't use my MBP without a pillow or something after about 15-20 mins. I could fry an egg on that thing....

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I assume this can cause problems if you send the unit in for warranty work? :)

My MBP runs VERY hot. Always has. I have a Core Duo version. Both the MacBooks in our house run hot too. As much as I love our Macs, the laptops run hot - I can't use my MBP without a pillow or something after about 15-20 mins. I could fry an egg on that thing....
A pillow would just help it to get hotter, be careful with that. Use something with a firm top so it doesn't trap even more heat under the laptop. I know someone who stuck larger foam feet on the bottom of his powerbook because of the exact problem of Apple's poor thermal management.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
A pillow would just help it to get hotter, be careful with that. Use something with a firm top so it doesn't trap even more heat under the laptop. I know someone who stuck larger foam feet on the bottom of his powerbook because of the exact problem of Apple's poor thermal management.
Yeah - thanks. I don't actually use a pillow (for the reason you point out), instead I use my favorite product from CES 2007:

Belkin CushTop

If I don't have it with me, I use a book or magazine....

The point it, Apple needs to figure out the heat issue! WAY too hot....

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I've got a CushTop as well but it's not that great sadly. I wish they had fitted a firm panel in to the top. I find that a lot of laptops when on it for a while sink in enough that they don't have much chance for air to move between them an the CushTop.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis