EchoStar TR-50, Recognized as Best of CES

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
EchoStar made its name in satellite receivers for Dish Network, but the company is doing a good job at reinventing itself as an everyman’s set-top-box company. It recently bought Sling Media, makers of the award winning Slingbox. The company has also just received recognition from CNET, winning its Best of CES in the Home Video category for its TR-50 set-top-box.

Discuss "EchoStar TR-50, Recognized as Best of CES" here. Read the article.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
If it's anywhere near as good as the Dish VIP-722 then it should be a slam dunk. The 722 is the best DVR I have ever used.

A

autoboy

Audioholic
But to get a CES award for OTA? Weird, there must be a lot of OTA fans at CNET because for the vast majority of us, only OTA is a huge limitation.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I think it's partly because it's multipurpose, converting to analog TV perhaps? or becuse it fills such a needed niche of giving PVR to OTA, which I guess is very underserved at this time.

Then offering online contnet and Mpeg4 reading to your TV from computer or online, this has great potential.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
If it's anywhere near as good as the Dish VIP-722 then it should be a slam dunk. The 722 is the best DVR I have ever used.
I have the 622 in my bedroom, and upgrading my Great Room theater to the 722 was a no brainer... Seriously it is a great DVR.... The scalers in Dish's HD receivers are awesome... !!

majorloser

majorloser

I have the 622 in my bedroom, and upgrading my Great Room theater to the 722 was a no brainer... Seriously it is a great DVR.... The scalers in Dish's HD receivers are awesome... !!
What's the advantages of the 722 over the 622?

raymondy

raymondy

Junior Audioholic
I think it's partly because it's multipurpose, converting to analog TV perhaps? or becuse it fills such a needed niche of giving PVR to OTA, which I guess is very underserved at this time.

Then offering online contnet and Mpeg4 reading to your TV from computer or online, this has great potential.
I agree .

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I have to agree there too. SD TV looks great even though most everything I watch is available in HD on Dish.

Another awsome feature is the fact that it has an OTA tuner built in and it allows me to get my local Fox affiliate in HD and I can record three things at once.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
There isn't much different then HD space... lots of it now...

I like the fact they made an update to all the firmware, that allows one to connect to cat5 cable over the net.. instead of phone lines...

D

digital_low_thd

Audiophyte
The company has also just received recognition from CNET, winning its Best of CES in the Home Video category for its TR-50 set-top-box..
BEST of CES award? I just don't get it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis