Sony HT-DDW790 Home Theater System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sony is typically known for their higher end consumer electronics, at least that's what the big box salesman will tell you as he shows you the price. This is certainly true sometimes, but let it be known that Sony can make entry level products with prices to match. Enter the HT-DDW790, a very low cost 5.1 home theater system. This unit is very basic and comes with a full size receiver that has only a few inputs, 6 speakers with wire, and a remote control.

Discuss "Sony HT-DDW790 Home Theater System" here. Read the article.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I own one of these. I paid a LOT less than the MSRP quoted in the article.

The sound of it is slightly better than one of those console (non-portable) boomboxes. It has no banana clips--only spring loaded pressure clips for that what? 24 gauge speaker wire. The receiver does accept full bit-rate DTS over coax and toslink. This is an issue for people w/ 2nd generation HD-DVD players, since the players convert high res audio to DTS. The tuner? It's a tuner. Stations come in clearly. It is fine for movies and (just) okay for TV. The auto calibration isn't great. However, Tom and Dina would tell me to stop listening to their podcasts and use a SPL to get it right. (Yes, I listen.)

It's not a horrible system. I wasn't too happy listening to classical or jazz with it. However, I heard all the bass via the Transformers HD-DVD without issues. :p

My major complaint is its size and that it only comes in silver!

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
How much is "a lot less than MSRP"? This one may enter the "consider list" for my 5 year-old son's room. It's stated it has a passive sub - how much is the power output for the sub? BTW - Transformers is currently his favorite movie.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis