Sony Takes Rear Projection HDTV to the Dump

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sony will close its last rear-projector manufacturing plant next February. Affordable flat panel technologies and OLED has officially killed Sony’s interest in rear projectors. That explains delays in getting your hands on the latest in Sony’s SXRD line.

Discuss "Sony Takes Rear Projection HDTV to the Dump " here. Read the article.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
I have an Akai/samsung PT5250A rear projection (CRT) got it for 700 bucks and it is 52 inch and 1080I I love it. I know that there are better but not for that kind of money. gotta go where the $$ are if you are Sony I guess

DavidW

DavidW

Audioholics Contributing Writer
The Consumer Reports article cited for RPTV reliability is somewhat skewed as bulb replacement is included in the repairs tally.

As such, this is not anymore a repair than calling a floor lamp defective for needing a new bulb.

Another issue with Consumer Reports is does not deal with certain long term issues that affect the life cycle cost of flat panel displays.

With no mechanical moving parts, PDP and LCD have no mechanical reliability issues. But when LCD or PDP does develop a problem, the TV cqan only be replaced to solve the issue. Dead pixels and color deterioration leaves little that can be done to make a repair, and that certainly puts a hurt on the life cycle cost of flat panels.

DLP based RPTVs do not suffer dead pixels or color deterioration that is common in other display technologies. TI has tested the DMD/DLP chips with out damage to over a 119000 hour MTBF (13.6 years of 24/7 TV watching) based on field reliability testing data and a fresh bulb brings color back to new performance.

DMD Hinge Memory Lifetime

Long-Term Data Projector Color Performance Test

TI/DLP White Papers

While there may be potential mechanical problems with the color wheel and lenses, they are all repairable.

With some of the new light source technologies such as LIFI (LIght FIdelity), LED, and lasers bulb replacement will become a non-issue. Lasers and LED also may remove the need for a color wheel, further limiting potential mechanical issues.

TI has also introduced Brilliant Color and by using a 6 color wheel, the color gamut is extended beyond what RBG LCD and PDP are capable of.

All televisions have their pros and cons, flat panels are the current fad, but they are not inherently better.

Last edited:
Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I guess I didn't mean to bash rear projection so much. I just sold one and loved it for about four years. It had a great picture. I just got a good deal on a plasma panel and decided to jump ship.

I still think it's a good idea for Sony to narrow its focus on a smaller number of products and try to master those. Just like Colonel and his chicken!

I

irfan

Audiophyte
as nice as the cheap prices are... my biggest problem with RP is geometry issues. I know some people dead straight geometry, but not me. I have a 50" samsung 720p DLP... and the top edge bows down noticeably. bottom is flat, sides pincushion a hair but i never notice that... but the top is just flat out annoying. Samsung tech said it wasnt bowed enough to warrant a repair so im stuck with it. ive only had it for 15months, but i already know my next tv will be a flat panel.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis